UPDATED: Joan Rivers dies at 81

Brock

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melissa's Statement:

It is with great sadness that I announce the death of my mother, joan rivers. She passed peacefully at 1:17pm surrounded by family and close friends. My son and I would like to thank the doctors, nurses, and staff of mount Sinai hospital for the amazing care they provided for my mother.

Cooper and I have found ourselves humbled by the outpouring of love, support, and prayers we have received from around the world. They have been heard and appreciated.

My mother’s greatest joy in life was to make people laugh. Although that is difficult to do right now, I know her final wish would be that we return to laughing soon.

So soon after the shock of Robin. Crazy to think she was so alive and vibrant on Fashion Police just 2 days earlier.

I just watched a clip from her (sadly) last Fashion Police. And you are not kidding -- that is the Joan Rivers we all love- as quick and hilarious as ever. It is hard to think only one week later she would be gone.

I'm so blessed that I had the opportunity to see her in Jamestown- what an amazing experience! I will never forget when she walked out on that stage.

It's times like this when you realize how special an experience it was to see a true legend do what they do best. I did not get to see Joan but fortunately was able to catch Elaine Stritch.

If you have an opportunity to see a legend in person do so because at times like this you realize how truly special they were and what an honor it was to be in their presence.

It's times like this when you realize how special an experience it was to see a true legend do what they do best. I did not get to see Joan but fortunately was able to catch Elaine Stritch.

If you have an opportunity to see a legend in person do so because at times like this you realize how truly special they were and what an honor it was to be in their presence.

This really makes me contemplate skipping a football game to try and make it to see Bob perform in Jamestown this October.

I found out at work, the TMZ text came in on my phone.  Of course my coworker wanted to know what I was reading and I told her.  She was sad too (note that she is 26 years old).  Then one of our older coworkers came into the room (note that she is 62) and said, "Oh, well I never liked her even when she was young.  Oh well."  Real nice.  Kinda figured this would happen but it doesn't make it any less devastating.  It was hard to concentrate the rest of the day. One more legend that died before I got a chance to meet her.  The only ones left for me now are Carol Burnett and Betty White and I'm sure I won't be able to see them anytime soon.  

So sad this happened so soon after Robin Williams' death.  Less than a month.  Wow.  :(

Just watched Lucy with Joan on Tonight Show and Joan's late night show. Threw in her daytime show from the 90s where they were plugging the laser disk. Joan was a fun interviewer. Good questions, fun on late night, informative in the daytime. I remember watching her daytime show a lot in the 90s and really liking it.

Amazing that even today we can't get a woman on late night tv on the networks but Joan crossed that barrier.

Just watched Lucy with Joan on Tonight Show and Joan's late night show. Threw in her daytime show from the 90s where they were plugging the laser disk. Joan was a fun interviewer. Good questions, fun on late night, informative in the daytime. I remember watching her daytime show a lot in the 90s and really liking it.

Amazing that even today we can't get a woman on late night tv on the networks but Joan crossed that barrier.

Mentioning this, I was much annoyed to hear the true story (from Joan's lips) about J. Carson and his withdrawal of friendship of over 25 years, when she told him about her being named the first female on late night Fox!  I will forever, now, think less of him.  Guess I shouldn't be that way; but, I am!  Sorry if I'm offending anyone; but, his attitude, in my view, was deplorable.

Statement from Charles and Camilla on the death of their good friend:

"[We] are deeply saddened to hear of the death of Joan Rivers. Joan Rivers was an extraordinary woman with an original and indefatigable spirit, an unstoppable sense of humour and an enormous zest for life. She will be hugely missed and utterly irreplaceable."

I always found it a little bit weird that Charles and Camilla were such good friends with Joan Rivers, occasionally going on trips together and Joan helping to organize Camilla's pre-wedding party. lol

Mentioning this, I was much annoyed to hear the true story (from Joan's lips) about J. Carson and his withdrawal of friendship of over 25 years, when she told him about her being named the first female on late night Fox!  I will forever, now, think less of him.  Guess I shouldn't be that way; but, I am!  Sorry if I'm offending anyone; but, his attitude, in my view, was deplorable.

I agree, what a big frickin' baby.  Get over yourself, Johnny.  But Joan still admired him and gave him credit for discovering her and always spoke highly of him even after his death.

Statement from Charles and Camilla on the death of their good friend:

"[We] are deeply saddened to hear of the death of Joan Rivers. Joan Rivers was an extraordinary woman with an original and indefatigable spirit, an unstoppable sense of humour and an enormous zest for life. She will be hugely missed and utterly irreplaceable."

I always found it a little bit weird that Charles and Camilla were such good friends with Joan Rivers, occasionally going on trips together and Joan helping to organize Camilla's pre-wedding party. lol

Yeah, I can't remember the Camilla joke now that Joan would tell, but it had something to do with her being butt-ugly LOL.  I guess Camilla has some pretty thick skin.  LOL

Just a quick mention about today's Post-Journal - It has used the very same photo that Brock has chosen for our header!!!  I metioned in another thread today, it's just amazing - 22 years between the two; and they could pass for sisters!   ANYONE?

FRONT PAGE - LARGE HEADLINE:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Goodbye, Friend - Comedy Center Director Reflects on Rivers' Death, by Dennis Phillips - "Joan Rivers will be remembered for laughter.  Gunderson will remember Joan, who passed Thursday at 81.  She was headliner for Lucille Ball Festival of Comedy in 2011.  'In effort to showcase the very best in American comedy in Jamestown, Joan Rivers joined us to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Lucille Ball's birth date in the most fitting way possible:  laughter.  She gave an unforgettable performance and embodied what it means to be a true entertainer.  She gave everything she had to the audience.  Like Lucy, Joan changed the face of comedy for women on TV, in a stand-up way.  The two women had professional respect, as well as personal respect, for each other," published for this date in 2014.'' 

Archived