Lucy rumours & stories - true or false?

Caewi

Here's the article with the pot reference. This is also the article that had the dog pic from the other thread.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20075802,00.html

Man, i love that article, Lucy is always so honest and down to earth, practical and easy going, i love her stance on gay rights, back then especially, wasn't the norm.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's another one that I've read and wondered about. Just what happened around Desi and Edie's wedding? I'm aware that Edie was married at the time they began a relationship and her husband wasn't thrilled. I believe he had a number of detectives following them and Desi hired detectives to follow those detectives. Having said this, I've read a quote in a lucy / desi book from a close family friend whose name escapes me, that there was a scandal surrounding the relationship and that the marriage has to happen very quickly from there. The book went on to state that Desi hadn't wanted to marry her and that she was quite unhappy for Lucy/Desi related reasons. Was there a scandal beyond what I've already mentioned? And was Desi not certain about marrying her when he did? Were they outed and did he panic and feel he had to protect her honour, rather than actually wishing to marry her?

I'm also reminded of another article I read from a reporter who interviewed Desi and complains that he inky answered 'I think so' to every question. The women asked Desi a number of questions about Edie including 'are you engaged?' and her only answered that he thought so. She then asked if he had bought a ring and he snapped back that she didn't need a ring. Not a very passionate answer from a very passionate man.

Did something happen which 'forced' Desi into marrying Edie much quicker than he planned or marrying her at all?

You raise some interesting questions here on a topic that we don’t really know too much about. I know the double detective part. I don’t know how long they were actually dating. The friendship obviously was there in the 50s. So the marriage was March 63’. I did read in I believe the Desilu book that Edie got a quick Mexico divorce the day before the Vegas wedding. It does make it sound rather quick. But look at the track record on weddings. I think his impulsive nature was to blame for some of this. It’s not like Lucy ever got an engagement (well one that lasted longer than 12 hours) and there were no rings involved then. Speaking of rings you know what I find interesting is for the first 13 (or so) years of his marriage with Lucy he wore his wedding ring then it switched to being worn around his neck. In allt eh post 63’ pics I have never seen him with a wedding ring.

I don’t know if I remember reading anything about a scandal or that Edie was unhappy or didn’t want to marry him. The only friend assessment on the relationship was that she left wealth to run off with this very charming man who wooed her away. I’m sure she had concerns as the drinking I think had gotten really bad again. At least you get that impression from how the studio buyout happened.

I’d love to find that article you mention. I have come across a few articles dating through the summer and early fall of 61’ that speculate about Lucy and Gary getting married but Lucy puts that rumor to rest. So either they kept their engagement very secret or from how I read it they got married with not a ton of notice either, especially since it was squeezed into a NYC trip where she had to do The Good Years show.

You raise some interesting questions here on a topic that we don’t really know too much about. I know the double detective part. I don’t know how long they were actually dating. The friendship obviously was there in the 50s. So the marriage was March 63’. I did read in I believe the Desilu book that Edie got a quick Mexico divorce the day before the Vegas wedding. It does make it sound rather quick. But look at the track record on weddings. I think his impulsive nature was to blame for some of this. It’s not like Lucy ever got an engagement (well one that lasted longer than 12 hours) and there were no rings involved then. Speaking of rings you know what I find interesting is for the first 13 (or so) years of his marriage with Lucy he wore his wedding ring then it switched to being worn around his neck. In allt eh post 63’ pics I have never seen him with a wedding ring.

I don’t know if I remember reading anything about a scandal or that Edie was unhappy or didn’t want to marry him. The only friend assessment on the relationship was that she left wealth to run off with this very charming man who wooed her away. I’m sure she had concerns as the drinking I think had gotten really bad again. At least you get that impression from how the studio buyout happened.

I’d love to find that article you mention. I have come across a few articles dating through the summer and early fall of 61’ that speculate about Lucy and Gary getting married but Lucy puts that rumor to rest. So either they kept their engagement very secret or from how I read it they got married with not a ton of notice either, especially since it was squeezed into a NYC trip where she had to do The Good Years show.

Here's the article, it's a short one.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19621105&id=e3FRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=xBAEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4855,966238

All very true. But Lucy and Desi had talked a lot about marriage and her book suggests that they weren't engaged because they agreed they couldn't be together and we're trying to break up. It clearly reached a boiling point where they either broke it off and forced themselves to stay away or they married. They both knew they wanted to get married so I'm not sure an engagement was needed in the same way. If Edie only got divorced the night before their wedding then it was clearly not overly discussed or decisions made previously. She was obviously charmed by him but it's less clear what he fell in love with in her. Some of the signs do suggest that something else was going on which motivated the suddenly wedding. I think Edie loved Desi and I think he loved her as his second choice. That's hard to live with no donut about it.

On a second but resulted issue that you mention, was Lucy invited to Edie and Desi's wedding. I've read a quote and heard a rumour and that she asked not to be in invited because watching him remarry would be too painful. But who asks not to bee invited? I would lo know the truth about that one too.

Thanks for always answering Lubsway. I look forward to your posts every time'

Now I question the quickie Mexico divorce. The article you posted is from Nov 61’ and states she was recently divorced. So was she divorced months before they got married? This article though sounds like typical gossipy column stuff so I don’t put too much stock in it. I know that after the divorce he dated a bunch of blonde bimbos and as Lucie puts it “came to his senses and got together with Edie”. Did he love her. I believe so. Did he love her the same way as he did Lucy, no. I think he saw as 61’ progressed that there was not going to be a reconciliation with Gary in the picture and that he needed to find someone he could be happy with and that would be a good stepmom to the kids, which from what I have heard and read she was fabulous as. Lucie has a track on her latest album of a song called I Love You. She talks about her stepmom always asking her dad to play it on the guitar for her as this was their song. Really sweet. FYI the song is used in the Lands End pilot that is on The Mothers-in-Law set.

I don’t know what kind of ‘’scandal” there would have been. It’s not like he knocked her up or something. I think there was probably some planning on getting married. I think it was a least planned to happen on Desi’s birthday. I know some people think of Vegas as the quickie wedding place but I just chalk it up to a second wedding and we don’t need a ton of pomp and circumstance. They did take friends along with them. I think it’s in the Desilu book but it’s talked about how Edie had to pull him away from the gambling tables on the wedding night and he was right back at them the next morning.

I don’t think I implied that Lucy was invited. I’m sure she did not want to be. She did send flowers. I do find it interesting as I think I’ve written before that they had differing viewpoints on having the kids at Lucy and Gary’s wedding even having Norman Vincent Peale talk through the concerns with both of them. I could see both sides. One wants her kids to witness the start of the new family the other is pissed because he thinks he’s losing his family. Tough on both parts.

Lucie has a track on her latest album of a song called I Love You. She talks about her stepmom always asking her dad to play it on the guitar for her as this was their song. Really sweet. FYI the song is used in the Lands End pilot that is on The Mothers-in-Law set.

Desi told Edie he wrote the song for her, but Lucie says she found the original music and it was written in the 1940s for Lucy!

Desi told Edie he wrote the song for her, but Lucie says she found the original music and it was written in the 1940s for Lucy!

Wow Harry, that was a rumour I've only heard once and it's incredible to realise it might be true. Also very sad as that was clearly something that Edie dear as being special to her and evidence of his love. Original songs were his way of expressing true love to Lucy. A recycled one doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Is this definitely true Harry or more of a rumour?

Now I question the quickie Mexico divorce. The article you posted is from Nov 61’ and states she was recently divorced. So was she divorced months before they got married? This article though sounds like typical gossipy column stuff so I don’t put too much stock in it. I know that after the divorce he dated a bunch of blonde bimbos and as Lucie puts it “came to his senses and got together with Edie”. Did he love her. I believe so. Did he love her the same way as he did Lucy, no. I think he saw as 61’ progressed that there was not going to be a reconciliation with Gary in the picture and that he needed to find someone he could be happy with and that would be a good stepmom to the kids, which from what I have heard and read she was fabulous as. Lucie has a track on her latest album of a song called I Love You. She talks about her stepmom always asking her dad to play it on the guitar for her as this was their song. Really sweet. FYI the song is used in the Lands End pilot that is on The Mothers-in-Law set.

I don’t know what kind of ‘’scandal” there would have been. It’s not like he knocked her up or something. I think there was probably some planning on getting married. I think it was a least planned to happen on Desi’s birthday. I know some people think of Vegas as the quickie wedding place but I just chalk it up to a second wedding and we don’t need a ton of pomp and circumstance. They did take friends along with them. I think it’s in the Desilu book but it’s talked about how Edie had to pull him away from the gambling tables on the wedding night and he was right back at them the next morning.

I don’t think I implied that Lucy was invited. I’m sure she did not want to be. She did send flowers. I do find it interesting as I think I’ve written before that they had differing viewpoints on having the kids at Lucy and Gary’s wedding even having Norman Vincent Peale talk through the concerns with both of them. I could see both sides. One wants her kids to witness the start of the new family the other is pissed because he thinks he’s losing his family. Tough on both parts.

Could the dating itself be the scandal? She was outed as having a relationship with a man who wasn't her husband and he felt he had to marry her to protect her 'honour'. I have know idea but that was the quote used in the book so I was wondering if anyone knew any truth to it.

Sorry i didn't mean to suggest that you implies that Lucy was invited. That sentence didn't come out the way I had intended. I would love to know if she explicitly said she didn't want to be invited or it was quite assumed or Des/Edie didn't want her there?

I didn't know about the differing views on th kids attending lucy and Gary's wedding. They couldn't agree :( Understandable. It raises an interesting question about the kids in Desi and Edie's wedding. The article seems to imply the didn't go. I wonder what the discussion and thought process was from all parties?

I wind if Desi was invited to Lucy and Gary's wedding? I'm certain he wouldn't have wanted to go. Imagine the media interest in that family scene.

Wow Harry, that was a rumour I've only heard once and it's incredible to realise it might be true. Also very sad as that was clearly something that Edie dear as being special to her and evidence of his love. Original songs were his way of expressing true love to Lucy. A recycled one doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Is this definitely true Harry or more of a rumour?

Lucie has told the story that "I Love You" was actually written for her mother onstage before performing the song and I doubt she was making it up. Lucie dedicated the song to Lucy, Desi, and Edie.

• 4 months later...

An interesting one that I ran across the other day, did Desi repropose to Lucy during the wildcat run? One book claimed that he did but I've never seen it mentioned elsewhere. Lucie Arnaz also said an interview that she didn't think they ever had any serious ideas about getting back together so this might suggest that it's not true, or of course she just didn't know that her parents were so close. I do remember Frank saying somethwere that they had some sort of romance during that time and he thought that things would look very different in the morning but unfortunately they didn't. So perhaps some sort of romance happened again during this time but was there anything near as serious as a proposal?

An interesting one that I ran across the other day, did Desi repropose to Lucy during the wildcat run? One book claimed that he did but I've never seen it mentioned elsewhere. Lucie Arnaz also said an interview that she didn't think they ever had any serious ideas about getting back together so this might suggest that it's not true, or of course she just didn't know that her parents were so close. I do remember Frank saying somethwere that they had some sort of romance during that time and he thought that things would look very different in the morning but unfortunately they didn't. So perhaps some sort of romance happened again during this time but was there anything near as serious as a proposal?

Never heard that he re-proposed but they did get back together for awhile during Wildcat.  I remember hearing that around this time someone found Lucy's wedding ring in Hawaii or somewhere, sent it back to her, and then she realized that she could never be with Desi again because it would just never work out.  Someone here would probably know that story a little better probably. LOL ;)

Thank you both. I've heard the wedding ring story and I think she said just before the ring was returned to her she was considering ringing Desi and asking him to come to New York. So clearly some level of romance continued during Wildcat. Other than the Desilu book though I don't think I've ever heard of an actual proposal. This would shed a different light on the phone call. What a shame Desi didn't take the Wildcat time to check himself into rehab and prove to his family that he wanted to change. I think she would have taken him back if he'd shown that desire to change. Obviously Gary comes into the picture at some point but I doubt she was going out with Gary while thinking about a proposal from Desi? How interesting I would love to know if he actually did repropose although perhaps no one will ever know but a lucy and Desi themselves. How I would love to get inside Franks head and work out what happened on that night :D!

Archived