A NEW "Mame"

Neil

Couldn't I make myself miserable just one more time?  I sharpened up Lucy's soft focus close-ups, again to no detriment.  It was a little hard to insert the Broadway orchestrations and retain the fidelity because it's down a half an octave.

And in case youtube shuts me out again, here's the dropbox link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5jmyuj6waxm00l/MyBestGirl5.mp4?dl=0

Oh my my my, that was just lovely.  Maybe YOU should have directed the damned thing.

As many times as I've viewed the "Mame" number, which is a considerable number, I noticed a few things for the first time.

During the hedge-hopping choreography Mother Burnside and entourage can be seen in the background making their way to the porch, although I can't see them in subsequent shots.

2. Approaching the climax, Robert Preston, again way in the background, walks into the shot to position himself on the raised garden circle.

3. As Mother Burnside sings "This time the south will rise again", Sally Cato FLOUNCES off in disgust.   Joyce Van Patten as Sally is rarely mentioned in mame discussions.  She brings a lot to a very small role.

4. And at the very end, there's that shot of Patrick watching the proceedings (which because of time is cut out of my version).  I realize now he's supposed to project feeling dejected, but I always thought it was just Kirby Furlong not paying attention and just waiting for his cue.

In the stage version after the Mame number concludes, Patrick sings a little "My Best Girl" segment, wistful in that he realizes their relationship is going to change. Then the cast repeats the last few stanzas of "Mame" and the curtain comes down on Act 1.

In the initial run, the movie had an intermission between "Mame" and "Loving You".  That was probably the last movie in a theater I ever saw that had one.

I agree that the department store scene works much better than Mame as a manicurist.  Plus there's the added bonus of Lucy on roller skates.  I think the screenplay was written before Lucy was chosen.  Wonder if the laces-knotting scene was added to give the audience just a LITTLE Lucy bit.  It's not overdone, but is a highlight.

In musical-izing Auntie Mame, there had to be some reason for the heretofore unwelcoming southerners to start singing her praises.  In the stage version, the intro is a little more fleshed out.  Beau proposes and declares as "Mame Day" before the song starts.

As previously posted, on stage the fox hunt happens off stage and is viewed by the Mother Burnside group in song.  Something like "she's turnin' round the bend and...." with Patrick chiming in "Fall off, Auntie Mame, fall off".  Not a great song and not missed on the OBC album. 

As many times as I've viewed the "Mame" number, which is a considerable number, I noticed a few things for the first time.

During the hedge-hopping choreography Mother Burnside and entourage can be seen in the background making their way to the porch, although I can't see them in subsequent shots.

2. Approaching the climax, Robert Preston, again way in the background, walks into the shot to position himself on the raised garden circle.

3. As Mother Burnside sings "This time the south will rise again", Sally Cato FLOUNCES off in disgust.   Joyce Van Patten as Sally is rarely mentioned in mame discussions.  She brings a lot to a very small role.

4. And at the very end, there's that shot of Patrick watching the proceedings (which because of time is cut out of my version).  I realize now he's supposed to project feeling dejected, but I always thought it was just Kirby Furlong not paying attention and just waiting for his cue.

In the stage version after the Mame number concludes, Patrick sings a little "My Best Girl" segment, wistful in that he realizes their relationship is going to change. Then the cast repeats the last few stanzas of "Mame" and the curtain comes down on Act 1.

In the initial run, the movie had an intermission between "Mame" and "Loving You".  That was probably the last movie in a theater I ever saw that had one.

I agree that the department store scene works much better than Mame as a manicurist.  Plus there's the added bonus of Lucy on roller skates.  I think the screenplay was written before Lucy was chosen.  Wonder if the laces-knotting scene was added to give the audience just a LITTLE Lucy bit.  It's not overdone, but is a highlight.

In musical-izing Auntie Mame, there had to be some reason for the heretofore unwelcoming southerners to start singing her praises.  In the stage version, the intro is a little more fleshed out.  Beau proposes and declares as "Mame Day" before the song starts.

As previously posted, on stage the fox hunt happens off stage and is viewed by the Mother Burnside group in song.  Something like "she's turnin' round the bend and...." with Patrick chiming in "Fall off, Auntie Mame, fall off".  Not a great song and not missed on the OBC album. 

Geez, with all these great insights, you're a regular Patrick Dennis aren't ya?

Archived