Recalling Lucille's Passing

Mot Morenzi

Yup, that's about it, just would like to hear YOUR comments on certain shows at least once before i die, LOL!

Your wish is obviously MY COMMAND, then;  HERE IT IS:

I have never seen even one Lucille Ball film, episode, appearance, sighting, or any other thing that I didn't love!  HAPPY??? :fabrary:

And, I could care less about her persona in film; that's NOT her; she's acting;  I'm more interested in the REAL THING; what she's wearing (I've commented on); whether she has a wig, broach, cigarette, hat, shoes, trousers, false nails, etc., on I don't have time to comment (BUT, HAVE, WHEN I FELT I NEEDED TO); I've been too busy for 10 FULL years, some days 8-10 hours, working on the chronology. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your wish is obviously MY COMMAND, then;  HERE IT IS:

I have never seen even one Lucille Ball film, episode, appearance, sighting, or any other thing that I didn't love!  HAPPY??? :fabrary:

And, I could care less about her persona in film; that's NOT her; she's acting;  I'm more interested in the REAL THING; what she's wearing (I've commented on); whether she has a wig, broach, cigarette, hat, shoes, trousers, false nails, etc., on I don't have time to comment (BUT, HAVE, WHEN I FELT I NEEDED TO); I've been too busy for 10 FULL years, some days 8-10 hours, working on the chronology. 

Thank you, that was the perfect reply to my request, now, you're telling me you even liked Drafted?????  LOL!

Thank you, that was the perfect reply to my request, now, you're telling me you even liked Drafted?????  LOL!

I've watched it; everyone hates it; I have NO COMMENT....If I get a chance, I'll watch it again.  I don't have a photo-memory like certain folks here; for that, I'm sorry.... Christmas ep, right?  WHY do folks hate it? 

I've watched it; everyone hates it; I have NO COMMENT....If I get a chance, I'll watch it again.  I don't have a photo-memory like certain folks here; for that, I'm sorry.... Christmas ep, right?  WHY do folks hate it? 

Because it's not funny would be my guess.  But hey, one of a dozen DOGS in an otherwise flawless 180 or so shows, not bad, today in comedy shows i think it's the other way around, LOL!

Because it's not funny would be my guess.  But hey, one of a dozen DOGS in an otherwise flawless 180 or so shows, not bad, today in comedy shows i think it's the other way around, LOL!

It's the writers; and it seems to me, if Lucille had hated it, it wouldn't have happened.  I don't think I've watched even ONE of the 179 or 180 I have found particular fault with, even with all the warts some seem to pick out....

It's the writers; and it seems to me, if Lucille had hated it, it wouldn't have happened.  I don't think I've watched even ONE of the 179 or 180 I have found particular fault with, even with all the warts some seem to pick out....

It's just that if a series is billed as the best comedy E V E R , people will nitpick at faults wherever they find them, i agree with you that all in all, they are almost all flawless.  But any show in it's first season and Drafted was very early, it's normal, you're still working out the characters.

It's just that if a series is billed as the best comedy E V E R , people will nitpick at faults wherever they find them, i agree with you that all in all, they are almost all flawless.  But any show in it's first season and Drafted was very early, it's normal, you're still working out the characters.

Exactly, it was one of the first shows and IMHO very few of those hold up if you compare them to the great episodes they were pumping out just a year later! Of course, there were the exceptional exceptions ("....Does a TV Commercial", "Freezer", "Pioneer Women" etc.) but even they were well into the mid -or later part of the first season, after they'd found their "legs"! :viv2:

Exactly, it was one of the first shows and IMHO very few of those hold up if you compare them to the great episodes they were pumping out just a year later! Of course, there were the exceptional exceptions ("....Does a TV Commercial", "Freezer", "Pioneer Women" etc.) but even they were well into the mid -or later part of the first season, after they'd found their "legs"! :viv2:

You forgot The Fur Coat.  And even some secondary ones like Amateur Hour, the benefit, the adagio all had these special moments that made them worthwhile.  

Actually I didn't! I don't care for it as much as you do, even though it, like most episodes, has it's moments! :lucyeww:

Sorry, but my obsession with the Fur Coat is mostly because she behaves EXACTLY like women at that time did, my favorite scene is the robber saying he'll shoot her and she moves up the coat to make sure the bullet doesn't hit her beloved fur piece, LOL!  AND sleeping with it and doing the dishes with it are also things i've seen women do in my lifetime.

Actually yes, Gypsy and I will have to fill you in sometime.  LOL

:lucywow:  "Boy, will we have to fill you in...".

I'll look forward to the 'visit'; sorry, should have replied to this last week; but, been busy with various difficulties with our horrible winter; resultant icing of our walkway AND parking lot (anyone who knows how to get even with a landlord; this is my SECOND horrible one), let me know -

. . . . . . and car repair problems - as in, NO BRAKES.  Fixed the problem;

. . . . . then, fixed my own problem - day before-yesterday, went car shopping, to some friends who have gone into business since I bought my LAST car many years ago; and yesterday brought it home; upgraded 10 years!!!!!! [to a 2013] - AMERICAN-MADE -  and 4% less interest rate!!!!!   I'm still in SHOCK!!!!

Plus have established another credit advantage - with joining a local CREDIT UNION - have always wanted to do that! 

Now, perhaps, I can put a little away for a rainy day or a nice beach vacation.

My little Lucy (Lakin - born Lucille's birthday and a GREAT FAN) granddaughter, 24, will be coming here to pick up my Tiburon, which she has wanted for 7 years since I got it.

Maybe I told you this story in another thread...   but this is THE place to share it.  I was 17 years old when Lucille Ball died.  I was an absolute crazy fan of hers (that hasn't changed)... prior to her death I couldn't stand to not tell EVERYONE I met how much I liked her or how great she was.  So basically everyone in my circle knew I was koo-koo for Lucille. 

I was going to community college and working 3 jobs...  A "jeans" store that catered to the young/modern adult.. a beautiful movie theater designed for (but ultimately dismissed) Cinerama called The Cinema... and the community college cafeteria where I washed dishes after classes 3 days a week.   Well... it was in the news about her heart attack.. and most daily news reports talked about her recovery.  One day heading to work at the "jeans" store (this was when Levis white wash were THE thing) .. my mother read from the paper ... "Wouldn't you know .. this is the day I'm supposed to have my hair done"... and we cracked up and off I went to work with a cheerful hopeful attitude... at that particular store the stereo was on so customers were treated to the latest music hits.. hip music to compliment the hip clothes ... any how.. my manager and co workers are all working .. checking in a shipment of clothes to put them on the floor.. (I am the only male.. all others are female) and the music is interrupted with the news... LUCILLE BALL has died... blah blah...blah... OF course.. I stand there.. like a deer in the head lights... and the girls are like .. Kevin.. I'm so sorry.. you ok??  and the Manager says.. Kevin .. why don't you go home and I will pay you for the rest of your shift... So I left.. in shock and I walk in the door and my mom says.. WHY ARE YOU BACK SO SOON??   I respond.. well.. they let me go home because Lucille Ball died.   My mother wasn't nearly as star struck as I was and she gives me a look and says .. "They let you off with pay cause a celebrity died???" 

I say "Yeah.. and now I want to lay down"...  So I take to my bed.. mainly pissed I never sent my copy of the I LOVE LUCY book to Thomas Watson to have her sign for me.. Which I was a member of the We Love Lucy fan club.. wrote to Tom and he said if I sent it .. he may be able to have her sign it.   No such luck...

Anyway all of a sudden I hear the phone ring and hear my mom telling people I'm not available and take messages for me (she was really good at letting me rest when I wanted to rest.. I mean 3 jobs and full time student leaves little time for sleep).. when I finally got up I got a phone call from my manager at The Cinema who said.. "My condolences regarding Lucy.. why don't you take the night off with pay and come in and watch Gone With The Wind (then in re-release for it's 50th Anniversary) .. my mother was astounded...  YOU have had more phone calls today to console you and you have been paid to not work from 2 jobs all  because Lucille Ball DIED?!!??  That's more than when your grandmother died...  I can't believe it...   AND I said.. well.. more people knew Lucy than grandma..

I look back on that now and I think.. those managers knew.. they must have known.. that I wouldn't be worth a shit with my idol gone.. so they probably figured what the hell.. give the fool the night off... or maybe they liked me and wanted to do a nice gesture..  what ever their reasons I sure appreciated it.  THEN we had an Entertainment Tonight and a CBS with Dan Rather News Special.. and I wept like a baby.... It seemed the whole country just came to a halt... not people my age so much but there was a noticeable wave when she did die.   I have never EVER felt that since.  Even when Bette Davis died a few years later (whom I've really grown to love)  I don't think we have ever seen the reaction as when LUCILLE BALL died.  I was astounded at the amount of condolences because I was always chided by my peers for liking an older less current celebrity... so it was nice to see she wasn't forgotten by the way people were moved with her passing.

Yes.. they were great people.. in fact ... the manager of The Cinema called me in the office once and said.. "Do you have a CD player?" and I said no.. and he gave me the soundtrack to Wildcat on CD and said.. "Well.. I think you should get one!"

Of course I squealed and jumped up and down and whooped and hollered and started to tear up while laughing... I bet he did that JUST for the reaction... which is what happens now when anyone ever presents me with a cool LUCY item!!!  Some things you never out grow!!!!!

Sorry but i love the way she gets mad at those two little shits.  Awwwwright, here are your milk and cookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL!  But you're right, the ending is a real floppo.

Here's one for YOU, CLAUDIE!  I LOVED her frog dance!  In the floppo, as you call it; I kinda liked it at the end.  As for the brats, they needed their noses tweeked!

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I told you this story in another thread...   but this is THE place to share it.  I was 17 years old when Lucille Ball died.  I was an absolute crazy fan of hers (that hasn't changed)... prior to her death I couldn't stand to not tell EVERYONE I met how much I liked her or how great she was.  So basically everyone in my circle knew I was koo-koo for Lucille. 

I was going to community college and working 3 jobs...  A "jeans" store that catered to the young/modern adult.. a beautiful movie theater designed for (but ultimately dismissed) Cinerama called The Cinema... and the community college cafeteria where I washed dishes after classes 3 days a week.   Well... it was in the news about her heart attack.. and most daily news reports talked about her recovery.  One day heading to work at the "jeans" store (this was when Levis white wash were THE thing) .. my mother read from the paper ... "Wouldn't you know .. this is the day I'm supposed to have my hair done"... and we cracked up and off I went to work with a cheerful hopeful attitude... at that particular store the stereo was on so customers were treated to the latest music hits.. hip music to compliment the hip clothes ... any how.. my manager and co workers are all working .. checking in a shipment of clothes to put them on the floor.. (I am the only male.. all others are female) and the music is interrupted with the news... LUCILLE BALL has died... blah blah...blah... OF course.. I stand there.. like a deer in the head lights... and the girls are like .. Kevin.. I'm so sorry.. you ok??  and the Manager says.. Kevin .. why don't you go home and I will pay you for the rest of your shift... So I left.. in shock and I walk in the door and my mom says.. WHY ARE YOU BACK SO SOON??   I respond.. well.. they let me go home because Lucille Ball died.   My mother wasn't nearly as star struck as I was and she gives me a look and says .. "They let you off with pay cause a celebrity died???" 

I say "Yeah.. and now I want to lay down"...  So I take to my bed.. mainly pissed I never sent my copy of the I LOVE LUCY book to Thomas Watson to have her sign for me.. Which I was a member of the We Love Lucy fan club.. wrote to Tom and he said if I sent it .. he may be able to have her sign it.   No such luck...

Anyway all of a sudden I hear the phone ring and hear my mom telling people I'm not available and take messages for me (she was really good at letting me rest when I wanted to rest.. I mean 3 jobs and full time student leaves little time for sleep).. when I finally got up I got a phone call from my manager at The Cinema who said.. "My condolences regarding Lucy.. why don't you take the night off with pay and come in and watch Gone With The Wind (then in re-release for it's 50th Anniversary) .. my mother was astounded...  YOU have had more phone calls today to console you and you have been paid to not work from 2 jobs all  because Lucille Ball DIED?!!??  That's more than when your grandmother died...  I can't believe it...   AND I said.. well.. more people knew Lucy than grandma..

I look back on that now and I think.. those managers knew.. they must have known.. that I wouldn't be worth a shit with my idol gone.. so they probably figured what the hell.. give the fool the night off... or maybe they liked me and wanted to do a nice gesture..  what ever their reasons I sure appreciated it.  THEN we had an Entertainment Tonight and a CBS with Dan Rather News Special.. and I wept like a baby.... It seemed the whole country just came to a halt... not people my age so much but there was a noticeable wave when she did die.   I have never EVER felt that since.  Even when Bette Davis died a few years later (whom I've really grown to love)  I don't think we have ever seen the reaction as when LUCILLE BALL died.  I was astounded at the amount of condolences because I was always chided by my peers for liking an older less current celebrity... so it was nice to see she wasn't forgotten by the way people were moved with her passing.

Wow! Amazing story, Kevin. Thanks for sharing that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so, so, so, so somewhat glad she passed before I was born. I know if it happened right now, I would be a diaster. It would be like losing a mother, honestly. I hold her as a person to such a high regard. She just had an amazing talent.

But I know those amazing dreams of her coming into my room and talking me through my worst times wouldn't have happened. Ive also been told by a random person that a red haired woman's presence follows me around. Might sound crazy, but this thing adds up. Same night, glass and borders of 2 frames fell. But the pictures of Miss Ball somehow remained up. It was the weirdest thing in the world, I showed my mom it too. I didn't know how to take it. Still don't.

I'm so, so, so, so somewhat glad she passed before I was born. I know if it happened right now, I would be a diaster. It would be like losing a mother, honestly. I hold her as a person to such a high regard. She just had an amazing talent.

But I know those amazing dreams of her coming into my room and talking me through my worst times wouldn't have happened. Ive also been told by a random person that a red haired woman's presence follows me around. Might sound crazy, but this thing adds up. Same night, glass and borders of 2 frames fell. But the pictures of Miss Ball somehow remained up. It was the weirdest thing in the world, I showed my mom it too. I didn't know how to take it. Still don't.

Yeah, i've had loads of incidents like that too, spooky all right.

You're not the only one who's been told a certain red-headed lady follows them around, has had vivid dreams with her in them, and has had weird things happen to them in their house. She also feels like a mother figure to me too. I swear, we all need to get a group together about our experiences with Lucy's ghost lol.

Archived