60 Years Later with Keith T

Luvsbway

How many times has lucy said "Good Heavens" on her show? I always remember when some situation came up the Lucy character (Carmichael or Carter) would say Good Heavens, I guess its a safe word, she could have said so many other things.

Exactly, didn't even remember that till you brought it up, so true.

I know, i couldn't believe it when i first read that, man, people are so gullible and they let these buffoons take their dollars and deprive themselves so these morons can take advantage of them.

And then these same gullible buffoons want to legislate their beliefs on the rest of society.

How many times has lucy said "Good Heavens" on her show? I always remember when some situation came up the Lucy character (Carmichael or Carter) would say Good Heavens, I guess its a safe word, she could have said so many other things.

Two other things she did say were "Honestly!" and "Oh come now!"  I'm guessing she probably said those more than she said "good heavens!"

• Like 2

And then these same gullible buffoons want to legislate their beliefs on the rest of society.

Two other things she did say were "Honestly!" and "Oh come now!"  I'm guessing she probably said those more than she said "good heavens!"

But, we all understand that she said these things because that's the way the writers wrote what she had to say.

In a similar vein, Elizabeth Montgomery as "Bewitched"'s Samantha also often stated "Well!" or "Oh my stars" when she was exasperated or whatever.  I think like Lucy's "oh good heavens" it was an acceptable "substitute" at the time -- and probably verbiage they actually used in their "real" lives and as their respective characters developed, the writers, producers etc. worked it into scripts in their "reel" lives as -- rather than saying "oh hell" or "damn it" or other such responses which became more commonplace once shows like AITF, Maude and their ilk became popular in in the public's consciousness.

:peachonthebeach:

In a similar vein, Elizabeth Montgomery as "Bewitched"'s Samantha also often stated "Well!" or "Oh my stars" when she was exasperated or whatever.  I think like Lucy's "oh good heavens" it was an acceptable "substitute" at the time -- and probably verbiage they actually used in their "real" lives and as their respective characters developed, the writers, producers etc. worked it into scripts in their "reel" lives as -- rather than saying "oh hell" or "damn it" or other such responses which became more commonplace once shows like AITF, Maude and their ilk became popular in in the public's consciousness.

:peachonthebeach:

Oooooooooooh, love that Jonas avatar!  Yikes, i think my blood pressure just spiked.

One thing I hear between the 1940s and 1950s is people saying "Oh, fine". I'm not sure how to type it to get across the inflections, but I'm sure some of the older people know what I'm talking about. My late grandmother used to say that every once in awhile. Example:

Me: Grandma, Lisa is pregnant again

Grandma: Oh, fine; that's all I need another screaming baby in my nursing home. Lisa needs to learn to keep her mouth and her legs shut.

That was a near word for word transcription. Was this just sort of along the lines of sarcastically saying "Oh great."? This has actually been bugging me for a few years.

Another constant saying:  'Yeh, .........well............'