The Lucy Show Season 3: Reviews and First Impressions!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possible? Yes, of course. But "likely" that the Merm and the Carmichael/Bagley households would reside in the same middle class neighborhood? Doubtful. I think this falls under "artistic license" or "suspension of disbelief"!

As for the Lucy/Mooney in LA thing, I get what you're saying but I don't recall them bumping into each other that much "accidentally" -- wasn't he supposed to still be her conservator (ostensibly) despite their respective relos? Anyway, it was only a few eps in before she started working for him part time, so at that point the meetings certainly what you'd call "accidental"! Besides, you'd be surprised who and where you'll run into people here -- sometimes at places as unexpected as the grocery store or cleaners!

wink.gif

I'm assuming there's an upscale section of Danfield where people like the ladies of the Danfield Art Society live. There's only one bank in the town.

Lucy and Mooney accidently end up in the same place at the same time in the following fourth season episodes:

"Lucy at Marineland" (The state of California! :D!)

"Lucy and the Golden Greek" (Same restaurant)

"Lucy, the Stunt Man" (Same movie set)

"Lucy and the Return of Iron Man" (TWICE! The racetrack and movie set)

"Lucy Saves Milton Berle" (Berle's press party)

"Lucy Bags a Bargain" (department store - it is located across the street from the bank, so this isn't that implausable)

"Lucy and the Soap Opera" (the house of the author of "Camden Cove")

"Lucy Goes to a Hollywood Premiere" (TWICE! The same Beverly Hills street corner and the premiere)

"Lucy and Bob Crane" (same restaurant)

The only episodes I remember them accidently meeting after that season were "Lucy Goes to London" and "Lucy and Carol in Palm Springs." I really don't have any problem with the two running into each other so often (sometimes even more than once in a single episode!).

I was just watching "Lucy and the Monsters" and noticed for the first time that after Lucy and Viv are strapped down for their "operation" and before the scene fades out, a bespectacled gentleman's head is visible on the right side of the screen. He's visible around 20:32.

393740632.jpg

Maybe there was more than one head of the house. :D;)

I'm assuming there's an upscale section of Danfield where people like the ladies of the Danfield Art Society live. There's only one bank in the town.

Lucy and Mooney accidently end up in the same place at the same time in the following fourth season episodes:

"Lucy at Marineland" (The state of California! :D!)

"Lucy and the Golden Greek" (Same restaurant)

"Lucy, the Stunt Man" (Same movie set)

"Lucy and the Return of Iron Man" (TWICE! The racetrack and movie set)

"Lucy Saves Milton Berle" (Berle's press party)

"Lucy Bags a Bargain" (department store - it is located across the street from the bank, so this isn't that implausable)

"Lucy and the Soap Opera" (the house of the author of "Camden Cove")

"Lucy Goes to a Hollywood Premiere" (TWICE! The same Beverly Hills street corner and the premiere)

"Lucy and Bob Crane" (same restaurant)

The only episodes I remember them accidently meeting after that season were "Lucy Goes to London" and "Lucy and Carol in Palm Springs." I really don't have any problem with the two running into each other so often (sometimes even more than once in a single episode!).

WOW! Great memory -- I would not have recalled so many "coincidences"!! As you say, a few of them aren't that implausible; still, we do have to suspend disbelief as how likely would it be that this many occurences would happen in real life! It brings to mind other questions too, such as, was the bank's location ever made known, either by address or "neighborhood" (area)? After all, LA is quite spread out and I don't recall them ever saying exactly where it was supposed to be -- either Beverly Hills presumably (based on the all-star clientele which frequented the joint!) or Westwood, would be my first and second guesses.

Also, what area did Lucy Carmichael supposedly reside? On more than one occassion, she said she lived at 780 North Gower, which, although a Hollywood address (the actual address of then Desilu now Paramount, just off Melrose) unless things have radically changed in the last 40 years -- which granted, is possible -- based on the area today, Lucy Carmichael wouldn't be caught dead living there, I don't care how bad her money troubles were! :marionstrong:

Thoughts? This is fun!

I never noticed that one of the fingers on the Dunbar's new sculpture is already broken -- and taped -- before Lucy knocks it to the ground. As the shot comes in on Lucy scratching you can see the broken finger swaying back and forth like a pendulum.

Lucy said get some black tape to cover the break but gary said we only have white tape, we'd have to BUY black tape, so use the white, nobody will notice. :marionstrong:

Lucy said get some black tape to cover the break but gary said we only have white tape, we'd have to BUY black tape, so use the white, nobody will notice. :marionstrong:

Watching the 1st disc and the footage of lucy at the worlds fair was just amazing. Just amazing!!

Seeing Lucy being honored like that makes me feel good, knowing that she had a day dedicated to her, it's weird, but Im happy to see those people reflect the same kind of

adoration for Lucy that I have, generations earlier no less. It's just very nice to see, and the cultural festivities are totally appreciated!

THE COLOR AND QUALITY OF THESE SHOWS ARE STUPENDOUS!

Lucy and Viv are so beautiful and I LOVE how relaxed within their characters they seem. Like Lucy and Fred and Ethel, the three Lucy, Viv and Mooney work comfortably now.

Like the moment Mooney sees the girls with the Bulwinkle heads lol He notices them right away and blows the mating call (hilarious) but its the same kind of "knowing" that Fred had, when he sees Ethel in the back end of the horse lol Both are funny in their own way, but the characters are familiar with each other now lol And I just adore that,

Speaking of the mating call joke, the Lucy character spits a very clever line, and it kind of showed something I noticed in the few 1 or two shows I saw on the first DVD, the writing seems a tad bit more sophisticated. The jokes are more clever and the plot lines are so believable with the difference in just a few lines.

The Jack Benny episode was sooo cleverly written, and the acting and costumes were so funny! The writing doesn't seem like a bunch of punch lines, seems like the logic was back to the plots rather than just leaving it up to the audience to say "this is impossible realistically but Lucy's so funny who cares" This Lucy I see so far is a bit more crafty.

Ill be back for an update, this is gonna be by thee hour! lol IM SOEXCITED

Just finished! Here is what I thought of each episode, watched in PRODUCTION ORDER.

Mild Spoilers Ahead!

Good skate (Great)

Meter maid (Great)

Winter sports (Great)

Bank Robbery (Excellent)

Danny Kaye (Excellent)

Camp Cooks (Excellent). I saw Mr. Slater falling through the floor and all the popover batter erupting out of the stove coming a mile away. I loved when Lucy and Viv were trying to hitch a ride.

Amnesia (Great)

Plumber (Good)

Father (Good). Can you say "The Camping Trip" anyone? lolz. I felt bad for poor Lucy when she was trying to sleep. And I think it's weird how Jerry's "father" just happened to get sick the night before the trip when Lucy wanted to go instead of him.

Pinch (Good) Dang I think it would be very awkward to be a man who has to pretend to be a woman on a date with a man, hugging and kissing and whatnot.

Contact Lenses (Excellent) I thought that when Lucy wiped the icing off her face the OTHER contact lens would fall out

Missing Stamp (Great)

Coin Collector (Great) *crying* "I LOST MY PENNY!"

Disc Jockey (Excellent) She should've had someone in there with her! I bet she had to pay for the damages done.

Lucy Gets the Bird (Great)

Lucy Gets her maid (Great) I can't believe that lady kept butchered cows/calves in her pantry :lucydisgust:

Monsters (Excellent) This one should've aired around Halloween. But it was TAPED at Halloween so . . .

Ceramic Cat (Excellent) I laughed so hard at the scene with Lucy and the mechanical man

Vegas (Good) "Lucy Goes to Monte Carlo?" I kinda had a feeling Lucy didn't win much.

Lucy and the Countess(Good)

My Fair lucy (Good) I loved when Lucy and the Countess randomly sang "Jeannie with the light brown hair" while sloshed.

Lucy and the Countess Lose Weight (Good) I laughed at when Lucy and the Countess tried to "eat" Mr. Mooney. :lucyhaha:

Arthur Godfrey (ehh)

Stockholder (eeh) I only liked the end when Lucy and Viv got "hypnotized."

Beauty doctor (Great) I had hoped for a better ending.

Old mansion (great) That looked like a weird chair when it "broke." The legs sprung right back up. Funny episode! lolz.

Haven't seen too many of the special features, I watched some of the Worlds Fair documentary and I set the openings to Vintage, lolz. I wish there were more cast commercials. And very interesting production notes.

Bring on season 4!

I cannot WAIT to get mine! I haven't seen many of the episodes from Season 3 but I won't bore you all with my old fashioned reviews that most of you disagreed with anywayz ;-) LOL! I will just name my favourite and least favourite episodes (hopefully there won't be many) ;-)

I've seen all Season 3 loads of times, thank you SKY TV and my trusty old JVC video recorder, but still cant wait for this to arrive. At least I know its been posted :-)

I was very surprised at the quality of this season, almost all of the plots are very fresh and kind of reinvent the Lucy character,at least it does for me.

Lucy is very clever, and almost all of her plots and schemes are carried through and work out for her, which is something that's so refreshing to me lol- guess fresh is the

key word lol- but I love when the scheme or plan made by Lucy, works out in the end- it kind of reminds me of the "beginning-middle-happy ending" type of show like ILL. If that makes sense. Im looking at the "My Fair Lucy" episode now...amazing show,amazing show, but in todays society those scratching scenes would be seen as semi-erotic lolol

Dear God! My syndicated copy cuts SO much out of Lucy & Arthur Godfrey, including the reprise by Godfrey between Steamboat Bessie and Dixie Lucy! :lucyshock:

MINE TOO!!! I didn't even know it was a musical in my version lol I thought this was some dream or something that showed the real history of Danfield, but I never understood why the show kept breaking the fourth wall a lot, but now it all makes sense. This is one of my FAVORITE episodes of TLS, its music is awesome, and everything is wonderful in it.

Just finished! Here is what I thought of each episode, watched in PRODUCTION ORDER.

Mild Spoilers Ahead!

Pinch (Good) Dang I think it would be very awkward to be a man who has to pretend to be a woman on a date with a man, hugging and kissing and whatnot.

Bring on season 4!

REALLY? I on the other hand would KILL for a job like that! LOL!

:lucydisgust::lucyhorror::lucythrill::professor:

I never meant it in a BAD way bubbela. There HAS to be a difference in opinion when someone is male or female, young or old, from Canada or Australia, rich or poor, gay or straight, etc . . . i just looked at my movie collection the other day, sifting stuff out here and there and i kept saying, WHY THE HELL DID I EVER BUY THIS? Why did i ever record that? Tastes change with the years also, remember my costantly saying i used to HATE the musical numbers on ILL and yet now that i'm older, i LOVE them.

Re: the opening of the show writing, directing credits over the shot of Lucy and Viv sinking in the bunk bed.

I'm wondering.....

If you did not already know they were in a bunk bed, could you tell that's what was going on? And for those of you who might have not known, what did you think was happening??

Archived