Life With Lucy Photos

Look fine to me, that's how she/they looked! Ironic Ms. Lewis grew up to be a rock star given her lack of musical talent in this episode!

Not my favorite episode, probably one of my least favorites, perhaps because of the use of the saxophone and the "tie in" to more than ILL episode, it was in a way a painful reminder that her older, slower self wasn't quite as ... charming and funny as her previous personas.  Sadly.  :gasp:

But if she hadn't been in a crap show, she would have looked fine.  Even beautiful Ann looks terrible.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look fine to me, that's how she/they looked! Ironic Ms. Lewis grew up to be a rock star given her lack of musical talent in this episode!

Not my favorite episode, probably one of my least favorites, perhaps because of the use of the saxophone and the "tie in" to more than ILL episode, it was in a way a painful reminder that her older, slower self wasn't quite as ... charming and funny as her previous personas.  Sadly.  :gasp:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't the audience applaud in LWL when she was like "My old saxophone!"

The show was basically running off of the 35-year-old steam of ILL. The callbacks to her past series were enchanting though. Much more so than putting Gale's tie through a pasta maker.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't the audience applaud in LWL when she was like "My old saxophone!"

The show was basically running off of the 35-year-old steam of ILL. The callbacks to her past series were enchanting though. Much more so than putting Gale's tie through a pasta maker.

Yeah, Lucy was adored so, that they applauded everything and cheered for any reference to her gloried past.  Unfortunately gary got the writers from the dollar store.

WHAT??????

Dunno what that means so i'll just ramble as usual . . . . Lucy wanted to make sure that the actors never shocked her with their voices so she wanted all of them to be FULL VOICE from first rehearsal.  Then, because they had that live audience, she was always asking them to yell their lines so the people in the back rows could hear every joke, every set up.  Candy Moore tried one time to deliver them normally but Lucy would have none of that and insisted she yell out her lines.  Nowadays, they have microphones on them so that is no longer necessary to do that.  But this was not Broadway in 2015 but the very early days of television and nobody had ever done a comedy show in front of an audience in a former movie studio.

You can thank Bob & Madelyn for that "highlight"! :HALKING:

Dunno what that means so i'll just ramble as usual . . . . Lucy wanted to make sure that the actors never shocked her with their voices so she wanted all of them to be FULL VOICE from first rehearsal.  Then, because they had that live audience, she was always asking them to yell their lines so the people in the back rows could hear every joke, every set up.  Candy Moore tried one time to deliver them normally but Lucy would have none of that and insisted she yell out her lines.  Nowadays, they have microphones on them so that is no longer necessary to do that.  But this was not Broadway in 2015 but the very early days of television and nobody had ever done a comedy show in front of an audience in a former movie studio.

The irony here is that not only was LWL well-miked and there were plenty of speakers for the audience to hear the dialog, but the sound man -- at least for the first filming I attended -- was deaf! They'd play music over the loudspeakers between setups and they -- Lucy included! -- actually had to repeatedly shout "Cam! Cut the music!!" (Cameron McCullough, who also did sound for ILL, TLS etc.) as he was hard of hearing!  I don't mean to be cruel or anything but I think that's hilarious!! :HALKING:

Cam apparently was so hard of hearing i heard he wore a hearing aid for each ear according to Stu.

Lucy also didn't get the newer cameras.  At one point the camera was sitting back and the shot was at the door.  She said you are never going to get it from there, move in.  She didn't realize zoom lens in the 80s.

Cam apparently was so hard of hearing i heard he wore a hearing aid for each ear according to Stu.

Lucy also didn't get the newer cameras.  At one point the camera was sitting back and the shot was at the door.  She said you are never going to get it from there, move in.  She didn't realize zoom lens in the 80s.

And i remember Desi saying when they first started out, he said Hollywood was still using the cameras and stuff from D W Griffith's days.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived