The Jamestown statue in the spotlight once more

rickee

Pretty sure folks have seen the latest Facebook page dedicated to the infamous Lucy statue in Jamestown, but in case you have not.....

https://www.facebook.com/337376016351514/photos/pb.337376016351514.-2207520000.1428074124./795692610519850/?type=3&theater

And on Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/lucille-ball-fans-want--frightening--statue-in-star-s-hometown-removed-215927032.html;_ylt=AwrTWVUPsB5VjngAnZHQtDMD

I think people get very judgmental about an artist's work...but I understand their sentiments and I'm guilty of joining the ranks, hopefully with some humor and my temporary solution.

Curious why it has taken six years for this poor rendition of Lucy's face to hit the general public's attention.

No artist wants bad publicity or to take a strong, negative hit for their work, but this statue has always been suspect in my opinion...especially her face. The worst offense one can do as an artist (unless intentional) is to make Lucille Ball ugly. She clearly was as far away from that as possible.

I guess my only real question about the process was...didn't ANYONE speak up as it was being created before it was unveiled? It just needed some true skill and love to do her justice...which

in this case, it did not.

It will be very interesting to see what (if anything other than a story) comes of this.

• Like 2

That's what I couldn't follow either, why is it coming up now after being erected for so many years already? And as someone said on a related thread, all they'd have to do for a "guideline" is look at the amazing artistry of the statue of Lucy in the forecourt of Grauman's Chinese Theatre the Emmy Academy in North Hollywood (and "Ricky" is right next to her now!) -- it's open to the public and anyone can access it day or night for a nice, thorough "review"! 

:peachonthebeach: 

My thoughts exactly.  Why didn't they take a look at the finished product before they agreed to put it up?  If they can't raise enough money the artist is refusing to fix it.  I know when I saw it in person I almost crapped myself in fright.  LOL

You almost crapped yourself?  Why didn't you just use the statue then, that's the biggest bunch of crap i've ever seen.

You almost crapped yourself?  Why didn't you just use the statue then, that's the biggest bunch of crap i've ever seen.

Yeah, it does look like it was carved out of a giant steaming pile...I do, however, feel bad for the artist.  I'm sure he meant no disrespect and waiting this long to bitch about it now is just stupid. Methinks if Lucy were here she would agree that it's freakish but could care less if it's taken down or not.  These people on Facebook saying Lucy is turning in her grave or that Lucie and Desi Jr. should have it taken down out of respect makes me laugh.  Lucie and Desi I'm sure have bigger fish to fry and don't care one way or the other.  Some of these "fan" reactions are even more scary than the statue.  

Yeah, it does look like it was carved out of a giant steaming pile...I do, however, feel bad for the artist.  I'm sure he meant no disrespect and waiting this long to bitch about it now is just stupid. Methinks if Lucy were here she would agree that it's freakish but could care less if it's taken down or not.  These people on Facebook saying Lucy is turning in her grave or that Lucie and Desi Jr. should have it taken down out of respect makes me laugh.  Lucie and Desi I'm sure have bigger fish to fry and don't care one way or the other.  Some of these "fan" reactions are even more scary than the statue.  

I disagree there, i don't care how long it's been up there, it's NOT Lucy, doesn't look like her at all and should be redone properly.  I too feel for that poor artist but has he even seen what Lucy looks like?  It's rare that everybody agrees on anything and they all say it stinks.

I disagree there, i don't care how long it's been up there, it's NOT Lucy, doesn't look like her at all and should be redone properly.  I too feel for that poor artist but has he even seen what Lucy looks like?  It's rare that everybody agrees on anything and they all say it stinks.

Correct, but he's being a brat about it and won't fix it for free because I think his little feelings are hurt.  But the donors or whoever saw the finished product beforehand should've noticed that "Hey, that looks like a giant bronzed turd and not Ms. Ball, maybe we should put this to a public vote."  I blame the people who said "Yes, that looks good enough," but I don't think most of the people from Celoron/Jamestown give 2 craps about Lucille Ball sadly.  

• Like 1

Correct, but he's being a brat about it and won't fix it for free because I think his little feelings are hurt.  But the donors or whoever saw the finished product beforehand should've noticed that "Hey, that looks like a giant bronzed turd and not Ms. Ball, maybe we should put this to a public vote."  I blame the people who said "Yes, that looks good enough," but I don't think most of the people from Celoron/Jamestown give 2 craps about Lucille Ball sadly.  

Ain't it strange that some people around her and from where she hails ACTUALLY DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT ANYTHING INVOLVING HER?  Sad, but unfortunately TRUE.  Why is the person who runs the Museum, among others not a true real fan?  Why isn't that Rappaport woman running it instead of the Gunderson or whatever her name is?  Why did the mayor accept that when he now admits everybody said the statue does NOT look like her at all?

• Like 1

A piece from ABC Buffalo -- I love their clip selection.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/lucille-ball-statue-creates-controversy

They showed the same clips in the same order on GMA, including the stuff about other bad representations of celebrities. I think ABC must have put this together and shipped it out to all their stations. It's still good nonetheless.

I wonder why this is causing a big stir even though it's been out for so long. It reminds me of another atrocity we'd known about for a long time but didn't acknowledge until recently *ahem*cosby*ahem*

The statue unveiling in 2009 was so traumatic the collective minds of Celoron repressed it until this random facebook fan came forward?

• Like 1

Anybody see the GMA story about this? They talk to the Jamestown mayor on the phone.

Tell us about it; because, I forgot about the GMA interview; thought it was going to be the artist himself, who seems to have gone missing - the MAYOR????  Please....!!!!  Unless, of course, you mean the CELORON MAYOR - now, THAT I would want to hear about - if anyone saw, or heard, it - GIVE!!!!

Ain't it strange that some people around her and from where she hails ACTUALLY DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT ANYTHING INVOLVING HER?  Sad, but unfortunately TRUE.  Why is the person who runs the Museum, among others not a true real fan?  Why isn't that Rappaport woman running it instead of the Gunderson or whatever her name is?  Why did the mayor accept that when he now admits everybody said the statue does NOT look like her at all?

Let's get back to the MAYOR - the Celoron mayor at the time of the unveiling has passed away; he was a true fan; but, very ill at the time; so, who knows why he didn't file a complaint.  Could be it was the couple who 'commissioned' the statue he was friendly with and didn't want to insult; but, I believe it's been criticized for long enough - now, maybe someone (like the world) can do something about it.  I guess the artist is still in hiding....  In any event, it AIN'T doing his career any good now....

This is Charlie's solution.

They should replace it with a bronze credenza. That would celebrate the long history of furniture making in the region as well as give people a place to organize all of the complaints they got about the Lucy statue.

"Mommy, I want my picture taken with the credenza," is what the towns youth will be saying for years.

• Like 2