The Jamestown statue in the spotlight once more

rickee

This is Charlie's solution.

They should replace it with a bronze credenza. That would celebrate the long history of furniture making in the region as well as give people a place to organize all of the complaints they got about the Lucy statue.

"Mommy, I want my picture taken with the credenza," is what the towns youth will be saying for years.

Here's what I posted on the Facebook page:

"With all the attention this statue is getting, the likelihood of it getting replaced is high. Now, what should the replacement be? The depiction of her in "Lucy Does A TV Commercial" (Vitameatavegamin) is great but that is so over played and is everywhere. How about something that is unique but still identifiable as Lucille Ball/Lucy Ricardo? Here are some suggestions: How about her in her famous polka-dot dress and apron as seen in "Sales Resistance"? Anyone who wears a navy dress with white polka dots immediately thinks Lucy OR there is a snap shot of her in the kitchen at the beginning of "Vacation From Marriage" daydreaming (if anyone has a good image of this photo please post). It's been used on modern merchandise as seen on this coaster. A cute idea would be to have her sitting at a table in this pose with a set the famed Franciscan ivy cup and saucers that can be seen throughout the entire series, where people can sit, have coffee with Lucy as she dreams up something or thinking of another scheme. This makes it interactive and great photo ops. It also can symbolize her dream of becoming a star which she did in Celeron, most likely in that very park."

I guess they could make the table "Made in Jamestown" 

The Lucy-Desi Center's statement: "We at the museum in Jamestown are interested in solutions and work closely with the estate.  More than 20,000 fans visit annually and another 10,000 for the Lucille Ball Comedy Festival.  Lucille Ball would probably have a good laugh at all of this, as she was very clear in her expressed desire for her legacy to be celebrated in the form of living, breathing comedy as opposed to things like statues.”
Sounds like Journey just added a few words to their mission statement lol.

Clearly, the artist missed the mark on this to say the least. An artist never starts out to make something to ultimately fail, but if a decided likeness of Lucy did not pass the test when it was in the early stages, the question still remains why did those involved approve it? (There has to be more to the story than we know).

The main issue I believe that everyone has, is that Lucy was a beautiful woman (who even with a grimace downing Vitameatavegamin) stayed attractive and the face (most of all) is anything but.

Solution: funds should be raised nationally (so Celoron or Jamestown need not to worry); hold a contest to see who is the best candidate to sculpt something wonderful and replace the current one. (I'm sure though, there will be quite a cost to remove it properly)

The original artist failed in her beauty and while trying to repair it is said to be too costly…better to give another portrait/sculptor their chance.

Lucy fans across the world will unite…guaranteed.

• Like 1

Here's what I posted on the Facebook page:

"With all the attention this statue is getting, the likelihood of it getting replaced is high. Now, what should the replacement be? The depiction of her in "Lucy Does A TV Commercial" (Vitameatavegamin) is great but that is so over played and is everywhere. How about something that is unique but still identifiable as Lucille Ball/Lucy Ricardo? Here are some suggestions: How about her in her famous polka-dot dress and apron as seen in "Sales Resistance"? Anyone who wears a navy dress with white polka dots immediately thinks Lucy OR there is a snap shot of her in the kitchen at the beginning of "Vacation From Marriage" daydreaming (if anyone has a good image of this photo please post). It's been used on modern merchandise as seen on this coaster. A cute idea would be to have her sitting at a table in this pose with a set the famed Franciscan ivy cup and saucers that can be seen throughout the entire series, where people can sit, have coffee with Lucy as she dreams up something or thinking of another scheme. This makes it interactive and great photo ops. It also can symbolize her dream of becoming a star which she did in Celeron, most likely in that very park."

I guess they could make the table "Made in Jamestown" 

The sitting at the table with Lucy thing would be a good idea, however, a local church around here had a huge statue thing commissioned of this giant bronze table with six seats on each side and Jesus in the middle (you know, like the last supper). Let me just say there was a lot of 'defacing' of the monument, ranging from people sitting on Jesus' lap to doing other, much more crude things with him. I just feel like a statue of Lucy  sitting down opens more possibilities than her standing up.

The sculptor has issued a statement:

The sculptor responsible for the "frightening" Lucille Ball statue that has terrorized local residents is now offering to fix it for free, admitting it is "by far my most unsettling sculpture."

In a letter to The Hollywood Reporter, artist Dave Poulin writes, "I take full responsibility for 'Scary Lucy,' though by no means was that my intent or did I wish to disparage in any way the memories of the iconic Lucy image."

The sculpture, which was privately commissioned in 2009 and publicly displayed in Ball's hometown of Celoron, NY, upset many locals and even inspired a Facebook group dedicated to its removal ("We Love Lucy! Get Rid of This Statue.").

"From the day of its installation," Poulin continues, "I have shared my disappointment in the final outcome and have always believed it to be by far my most unsettling sculpture, not befitting of Lucy’s beauty or my ability as a sculptor. Yes, in retrospect, it should have never been cast in bronze and made public, and I take complete ownership of that poor decision."

Poulin says he's willing to refurbish the statue at his own expense.

"Over the years," he writes, "I have felt blessed to have inspired and touched the lives of thousands of people who do enjoy my other works, and am heartsick at the feelings that have been evoked as a result of the Celeron Lucy."

"I am a down to earth, hard worker from a humble background. I enjoy what I do, and if a handful of decent folks can find some enjoyment in my work, I am OK with that."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lucille-ball-statue-sculptor-apologizes-786633

• Like 1

Dunno why there's no mention HERE but i just read that the mayor is getting it redone by another artist for 10 thousand bucks.  Or less.  

And who is paying the 10 thousand bucks, the town of Celoron or Lucy fan donations?  They should've given the poor guy another chance to redeem himself, he was going to do it for free for Pete's sake.  Idiots, all of them.   :lucyeww:

And who is paying the 10 thousand bucks, the town of Celoron or Lucy fan donations?  They should've given the poor guy another chance to redeem himself, he was going to do it for free for Pete's sake.  Idiots, all of them.   :lucyeww:

I know, that's exactly what i thought when i heard that.  But i think the old artist had asked for more just to redo it, so they went with someone who was asking for less, BEFORE the old artist offered to do it for free.

I know, that's exactly what i thought when i heard that.  But i think the old artist had asked for more just to redo it, so they went with someone who was asking for less, BEFORE the old artist offered to do it for free.

Well, good luck to them getting enough donations to cover the new artist.  I won't be donating.  Sheesh. :lucyhmm: