The I Love Lucy Superstar Special -- Sunday, May 17 on CBS!

Desiluforever

And the "Super Surprise" is...

"The I Love Lucy Superstar Special" on CBS for May Sweeps!

From the Orlando Sentinel:

Purists may balk, but CBS keeps trotting out colorized specials of classic "I Love Lucy" episodes.

For the May ratings period, CBS will deliver colorized installments of famous episodes with Oscar-winner William Holden and "Superman" star George Reeves.

The "I Love Lucy Superstar Special" will air at 8 p.m. May 17. CBS is going this route again because colorized episodes have performed well in the ratings at Christmas.

The Holden episode, called "L.A. at Last!," focuses on the Ricardos and Mertzes in Hollywood. Lucy makes a bad impression on Holden at the Brown Derby Restaurant and later tries to alter her look when meeting him again.

Here's a particularly interesting tidbit from CBS: "Included in the special is material from 'L.A. at Last!' that has not been broadcast since the episode first aired on CBS 60 years ago." What could that be? The episode first aired Feb. 7, 1955.

The "Lucy and Superman" has Lucy Ricardo pledging to produce Superman at a birthday party for Little Ricky. That episode first aired Jan. 14, 1957.

"I Love Lucy" remains one of the best-remembered and best-loved TV series. A chief reason: The wonderful ensemble of Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Vivian Vance and William Frawley.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-cbs-i-love-lucy-william-holden-superman-20150416-post.html

Always lukewarm on colour, but a prime time Lucy special -- however it happens to be packaged -- during sweeps is very exciting! :HALKING:

And "Brooks" era Eve Arden in colour too!

Official Press Release:

Newly Colorized Episodes of “L.A. at Last!” and “Lucy and Superman”
To Be Seamlessly Combined

Special Includes Additional Footage Not Broadcast in 60 Years

I LOVE LUCY SUPERSTAR SPECIAL, a new one-hour special featuring two colorized back-to-back classic episodes of the 1950s series, will be broadcast Sunday, May 17 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

The two episodes – like those presented in previous years during Christmas – are newly colorized with a vintage look, a nod to the 1950s period in which they were filmed. The main titles and end credits are seamlessly combined into one set – at the beginning and end of the hour – with no interruption between the episodes.

Included in the special is material from “L.A. at Last!” that has not been broadcast since the episode first aired on CBS 60 years ago. 

The episodes star Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz as Lucy and Ricky Ricardo, and Vivian Vance and William Frawley as the Ricardos’ friends and landlords, Ethel and Fred Mertz. William Holden guest stars in “L.A. at Last!” and George Reeves, star of the “Adventures of Superman” series, reprises his role in “Lucy and Superman.”

“L.A. at Last!” finds the Ricardos and Mertzes arriving in Hollywood, where Ricky is appearing in a new motion picture. Star-struck Lucy is anxious to meet some movie stars up-close, and decides to have lunch with the Mertzes at the famed Brown Derby Restaurant, where she meets film star William Holden and causes a major mess. Ricky innocently complicates matters when he meets Holden at the studio later, and invites him home for coffee.

“L.A. at Last!” originally aired Feb. 7, 1955, and became an instant classic. The script was nominated for an Emmy® Award. 

In “Lucy and Superman,” Lucy and longtime friend and rival Caroline Appleby want to schedule their child’s birthday party on the same afternoon. Lucy finally “wins” the battle by promising that TV superhero Superman will appear at Little Ricky’s party. However, things take a hilarious turn when the “Man of Steel” has a scheduling problem and Lucy decides to replace him.

“Lucy and Superman” originally aired Jan. 14, 1957, and was an immediate hit with fans of both “I Love Lucy” and “Superman.”

“I Love Lucy” aired on CBS from Oct. 15, 1951 until June 24, 1957. It was voted “the best TV show of all time” in a 2012 viewer poll conducted by People Magazine and ABC News.

I'll admit I'm curious as to what the additional footage is. I don't recall any lost footage from that episode on the DVD set. There was the cut scene where she makes up her face, but that never aired and must be long since gone...

I just hope these airings encourage new fans to pick up the DVDs/Blu-Rays and give the black and white originals a chance. You get used to it, folks, I promise!

This is wonderful! The best and most lasting show on TV gets an ENTIRELY NEW LIFE!

I think it's safe to say that when I Love Lucy is on prime time and, most recently, in color; many feel that nostalgic feeling and a magic that was felt

when I Love Lucy first aired. The charisma of the actors, the chemistry between them,the pace of the show, the energy of the show, the style and overall quality of the show makes it very entertaining! It's an event! - Seeing it in color only enhances that.  

• Like 2

Well, I'll be ding-donged!

Seamless?  Are they going to insert clumsy transition dialogue, like they used to introduce reruns.

Lucy: Bill Holden is sure a super man.

Ethel: Well speaking of Superman, remember the time you promised that he would be at Little Ricky's party?  I remember it as it were yesterday.  We were sitting there playing cards and......

Wouldn't it be great if the missing footage was the scene where Lucy grabs Ricky's make up kit, the one we've seen stills of?

I'm going to hold my breath until May 17th.

• Like 2

Seamless?  Are they going to insert clumsy transition dialogue, like they used to introduce reruns.

Ethel: Well speaking of Superman, remember the time you promised that he would be at Little Ricky's party?  I remember it as it were yesterday.  We were sitting there playing cards and......

Wouldn't it be great if the missing footage was the scene where Lucy grabs Ricky's make up kit, the one we've seen stills of?

That's what I was thinking. after she hides in the corner and goes for the bushy eye brows in the kit lolol That would be awesome! That and maybe a "getting out of the car and getting checked in" kind of scene, like we see in "Train Robbery"

That's what I was thinking. after she hides in the corner and goes for the bushy eye brows in the kit lolol That would be awesome! That and maybe a "getting out of the car and getting checked in" kind of scene, like we see in "Train Robbery"

Not one new color show but two new color shows!! Wow this is great news for the color I Love Lucy fans. Now I do like the original black and white versions, but now we have a choice of black and white and color. I hate to jump ahead of things but will we get the two new color shows on dvd? Maybe say like after the May 17 broadcast? The two shows I would hope will be released complete on dvd. Two new color shows and Lucy back on CBS primetime tv! I am one happy Lucy fan today. Thank you CBS and all involved with the new color shows and the new CBS  special. :D:peachonthebeach::ill:

I'll admit I'm curious as to what the additional footage is. I don't recall any lost footage from that episode on the DVD set. There was the cut scene where she makes up her face, but that never aired and must be long since gone...

I just hope these airings encourage new fans to pick up the DVDs/Blu-Rays and give the black and white originals a chance. You get used to it, folks, I promise!

I'm just wondering how they can put both shows together SEEMLESLY as they say, but yet one is set in Hollywood and the other in their New York ciry brownstone.

Larger photo and video from CBS, via this item in Variety:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/i-love-lucy-special-cbs-1201473873/

Now you see, seeing that clip, IN COLOR, just makes my day.  When you've watched a show a certain way for sixty years, it just pleases me so to finally be seeing something different about it and the sight of the best show tv has ever shown, IN COLOR, for the first time is just the greatest thing to happen to the series, thank you CBS and all who participated in helping us bring the show to yet more generations who can enjoy it as much as we and our predecessors did.

• Like 2

Not one new color show but two new color shows!! Wow this is great news for the color I Love Lucy fans. Now I do like the original black and white versions, but now we have a choice of black and white and color. I hate to jump ahead of things but will we get the two new color shows on dvd? Maybe say like after the May 17 broadcast? The two shows I would hope will be released complete on dvd. Two new color shows and Lucy back on CBS primetime tv! I am one happy Lucy fan today. Thank you CBS and all involved with the new color shows and the new CBS  special. :D:peachonthebeach::ill:

That was my question also, and i'm sure CBS will milk this for all they can so we can expect to see it on dvd very soon after it airs.