The I Love Lucy Superstar Special -- Sunday, May 17 on CBS!

Desiluforever

TJW:

Thank you for all the information you've been providing. I just had a few questions, that hopefully you'd be able to answer.

1.) I was just wondering if the Superman episode that Ricky and Little Ricky are watching at the beginning of the episode will be colorized.

2.) In "LA at Last," will the corset of the Ricardo's Beverly Palm's Hotel Suite, reflect the colors of the set I posted above, and will the view from the balcony/terrace be colorized, too?

1) No... We checked, and discovered that SUPERMAN was not telecast in color in New York City until 1965. Plus the Ricardos' TV set is clearly a 1950s black-and-white set, so the insert shot will be in black-and-white

2) I'm not sure what you mean by "corset."  The balcony view will be colorized to a certain extent...

tjw

TJW:

Darn auto-correct. It was meant to ask the following...

2.) In "LA at Last," will the set of the Ricardo's Beverly Palm's Hotel Suite, reflect the colors of the set I posted above, which seem to have been deleted. They were from The "I Love Lucy" 50th Anniversary Tour, and are nor currently housed on display, in The Lucy Desi Museum. I was also going to ask if Lucy's Hollywood Disguise, that Lucy wore in front of Mr. Holden, were going to be the same colors that have been on VHS/DVD covers, booklets,etc. They were black, rhinestone-encrusted housecoat, wor over lounging slacks, as well as the scarf she wore on her head.

TJW:

Darn auto-correct. It was meant to ask the following...

2.) In "LA at Last," will the set of the Ricardo's Beverly Palm's Hotel Suite, reflect the colors of the set I posted above, which seem to have been deleted. They were from The "I Love Lucy" 50th Anniversary Tour, and are nor currently housed on display, in The Lucy Desi Museum. I was also going to ask if Lucy's Hollywood Disguise, that Lucy wore in front of Mr. Holden, were going to be the same colors that have been on VHS/DVD covers, booklets,etc. They were black, rhinestone-encrusted housecoat, wor over lounging slacks, as well as the scarf she wore on her head.

Suffice it to say that the colorists used a wide variety of color references and have come up with some very nice results... The many references for the hotel, by the way, include shots of what the real hotel looked like back then and what it looks like today...  

Suffice it to say that the colorists used a wide variety of color references and have come up with some very nice results... The many references for the hotel, by the way, include shots of what the real hotel looked like back then and what it looks like today...  

But did they ever THINK back then, that one day, we would clearly see that the cars on the streets never move at all, in L A yet?  Oh that's true, cars rarely move there anyway, too much traffic, LOL!  

• Like 1

When Ricky turns into the hotel driveway, another on-coming car nearly clobbers the Ricardo car!  I always thought that was rather daring!

Yeah, but i was referring to that famous Hollywood backdrop.  Every Hollywood show i'd wonder why does that car just sit there and not move?  Well, i was a kid then, must have been 37 when i realized it was a backdrop.

I always thought that The Beverly Palm's Hotel was a fictional place. I thought the only reference materials for the hotel suite interior cosisited of any color still photographs, and the set from the 50th anniversary tour, which is now located at The Lucy Desi Museum. So, I'm confused, and don't understand.

I always thought that The Beverly Palm's Hotel was a fictional place. I thought the only reference materials for the hotel suite interior cosisited of any color still photographs, and the set from the 50th anniversary tour, which is now located at The Lucy Desi Museum. So, I'm confused, and don't understand.

There never was a Beverly Palms hotel and they used some other hotel for the driving in part.

Beverly Palms Hollywood Hotel: When Ricky was cast in the motion picture Don Juan, he took the whole gang (Lucy, Fred, Ethel, Little Ricky, and his mother-in-law) to Hollywood with him. During this period from 1955-56, the Ricardos lived in the Beverly Palms Hotel. It was on this set that Lucy burned her nose while meeting William Holden. Harpo Marx also re-enacted one of his most famous movie scenes here with Lucy, in what later became one of her favorite episodes, #124, “Harpo Marx.”

There never was a Beverly Palms hotel and they used some other hotel for the driving in part.

True... But the hotel building itself was real then, and still exists today -- down on Pico Boulevard in Beverly Hills... Still very nice... But no, it is not called the Beverly Palms...

You are all correct...the fictional Beverly Palms Hotel was actually The Beverly Carlton in Beverly Hills. As Tom says, the actual hotel is thriving today, and now named The Avalon Hotel.

4802398312_755fa568b9_z.jpg

12646_48_b.jpg

It is equally famous for a certain young, blonde movie star who stayed there in the early 1950's. She also stayed across the street where they had long-stay apartments. It was at this location at where a particularly famous LIFE cover was shot. Cool, eh?

alvin-lustig-beverly-carlton-motel-1.jpg

MM_LIFE_52_Shoot.jpg

TJW:

Oh, okay. Thanks for splainin'! So, the interior of the Ricardo's suite, at the ficticious Beverly Palm's Hotel, was a replica, based upon an apartment suite, at The Beverly-Carlton? From what I gathered, the colors of the apartment suite set, from the 50th anniversary tour, we're used as reference materials, for the LA at Last episode, and will be seen in the colorized episode, on the special.

TJW:

My questions regarding the Ricardo's hotel apartment/suite had to do with the interior, not the exterior. Other than the 50th anniversary tour set, we're there any other color still photographs of their c hotel room that existed in the archives? I'm just trying to understand this better. So, the exterior colors will consist of what it looked like in the 1950s, as well as in 2015, and the interior colors will be the same ones seen during the 50th anniversary tour?

You are all correct...the fictional Beverly Palms Hotel was actually The Beverly Carlton in Beverly Hills. As Tom says, the actual hotel is thriving today, and now named The Avalon Hotel.

4802398312_755fa568b9_z.jpg

12646_48_b.jpg

It is equally famous for a certain young, blonde movie star who stayed there in the early 1950's. She also stayed across the street where they had long-stay apartments. It was at this location at where a particularly famous LIFE cover was shot. Cool, eh?

alvin-lustig-beverly-carlton-motel-1.jpg

MM_LIFE_52_Shoot.jpg

Thanks, these are just beautiful to see.

I think what JYuhas is trying to say is if there are any interior pics of the actual Hotel room used to inspire the Ricardo Hotel suite and if there are any color pics of the actual Hollywood set to compare? I think. :lucyhmm:

LOL!  I'm STILL laughing at the way he described the Hollywood shows though, Had no idea all that happened, LOL!  I'm like seinfeld, never seen the actual show, LOL!

• Like 1

TJW:

I was curious if they went with the colors of their hotel suite, as seen on display in the Lucy Desi Museum, or a different color scheme, like the vintage look they did with the other colorized episodes. I thought all the sets in the museum reflected the true colors of what everything really was. It wasn't until years later that I saw actual color photos of both living rooms of both apartments that what was seen I'm the museum, weren't the real colors, except for the furniture. I was expecting the kitchen to be yellow, in the newly colorized Christmas Special, like it was on display in the museum, but it was green, instead.

In the California episodes, I thought both the name of the hotel, as well as the suite set was ficticious, and wasn't named or modeled after anything. I just thought it was built to look like a hotel suite you'd see in California. So, when I asked if the colors of the hotel room interior were going to reflect the ones seen on display at the museum, I was given all these answers that threw me off, like the colorists went with a combination of what it looked then, and what it looks like now. That's when I was thrown off. I was like how can they go with what it looks like today, when it was a set that was built? So, they were answering my questions, thinking I was talking about exteriors, when I was talking about interiors. So, with the answers I was given, was their suite a replica of a suite from another California hotel, and, if it was, were the colors that we saw on the replica of the set, the same as the real thing, what was seen on the show, what exist in color photographs, and what was used for the exhibit

TJW:

Sorry, I guess what I'm really trying to ask is this...

1.) Did the colorists use any, some or all of the color's of the replica of the Ricardo's Beverly Palm's Hotel Apartment Suite, thar was part of the 50th anniversary tour, and is now an exhibit, on display at The Lucy Desi Museum, in Jamestown, New York, and will tit be seen on The "LA at Last" episode, of The "I Love Lucy" Superstar Special?

2.) Did the colorists use any, some or all of the color's, in the "I Love Lucy" still color photograps from the Ricardo's Beverly Palm's Hotel Apartment Suite interior? Do the still color photographs, from the set replica, of the 50th anniversary tour, reflect colors that were used on tbe show? Are theybthe same, or are they diffrent and different than what's from the exhibit, on display at The Lucy Desi Museum, in Jamestown, New York? Will they be seen on The "LA at Last" episode, of The "I Love Lucy" Superstar Special?

3.) Is Lucy's Hollywood Disguise Outfit and Accessories the same colors, that Elois Jenson designed, and is in The Official "I Love Lucy" Paper Dolls Book? I'm talking about the black rhinestone-encrusted housecoat, lounging slacks, scarf, eyeglasses, etc.

• Like 1

TJW:

Sorry, I guess what I'm really trying to ask is this...

1.) Did the colorists use any, some or all of the color's of the replica of the Ricardo's Beverly Palm's Hotel Apartment Suite, thar was part of the 50th anniversary tour, and is now an exhibit, on display at The Lucy Desi Museum, in Jamestown, New York, and will tit be seen on The "LA at Last" episode, of The "I Love Lucy" Superstar Special?

2.) Did the colorists use any, some or all of the color's, in the "I Love Lucy" still color photograps from the Ricardo's Beverly Palm's Hotel Apartment Suite interior? Do the still color photographs, from the set replica, of the 50th anniversary tour, reflect colors that were used on tbe show? Are theybthe same, or are they diffrent and different than what's from the exhibit, on display at The Lucy Desi Museum, in Jamestown, New York? Will they be seen on The "LA at Last" episode, of The "I Love Lucy" Superstar Special?

3.) Is Lucy's Hollywood Disguise Outfit and Accessories the same colors, that Elois Jenson designed, and is in The Official "I Love Lucy" Paper Dolls Book? I'm talking about the black rhinestone-encrusted housecoat, lounging slacks, scarf, eyeglasses, etc.

I guess we'll find out next month.