The I Love Lucy Superstar Special -- Sunday, May 17 on CBS!

Desiluforever

If the idea with colorizing is to attract young viewers, they should skip on colorizing S1 because if they're exposed to those episodes first, they probably won't watch the rest.

True. Maybe they could sort through a few episodes of the first season to include, just for setup. I would say colorize all of 2-4, may skip a few in 5 and 6.

• Like 1

True. Maybe they could sort through a few episodes of the first season to include, just for setup. I would say colorize all of 2-4, may skip a few in 5 and 6.

I agree, that would be the best way to go, although it wouldn't be so bad if they colorized all of 5 and 6.  Even if some of the later episodes were not as funny, the characters were at least well defined and there were no awkward or embarrassing plots, just a bit slow.  The first season was very uneven, often with absurd plots, silly lines, and the actors (especially Vivian, who took a little longer) were still trying to find their characters.

I agree, that would be the best way to go, although it wouldn't be so bad if they colorized all of 5 and 6.  Even if some of the later episodes were not as funny, the characters were at least well defined and there were no awkward or embarrassing plots, just a bit slow.  The first season was very uneven, often with absurd plots, silly lines, and the actors (especially Vivian, who took a little longer) were still trying to find their characters.

I always thought colorizing a BEST OF the ILL series would be best also.  That's how Here's Lucy first came out and then we got the whole series a bit later.

• Like 1

I just don't see the need to mess with perfection. Should we give the Mona Lisa a makeover to conform to modern standards of beauty? I just wish people were more willing to accept things as they are and stop demanding that everything be tailored for them. And I wish advertisers would b the same!

And I wish I was 32 and a sex symbol..

:)

• Like 2

it doesn't affect the comedy of the series.

Ah, but that's where we differ. It GREATLY affects the comedy of the series for me. The color palette draws so much attention to itself, I find that I don't watch the show, I watch the color. There's no escaping it for me. I'm too aware that I'm watching something that's colorized for me to take in the program itself.

• Like 1

If the idea with colorizing is to attract young viewers, they should skip on colorizing S1 because if they're exposed to those episodes first, they probably won't watch the rest.

Good point. Those early episodes, though charming in their own right, don't reflect the series it became. Many people would likely be turned off by the silliness of it.

• Like 1

Ah, but that's where we differ. It GREATLY affects the comedy of the series for me. The color palette draws so much attention to itself, I find that I don't watch the show, I watch the color. There's no escaping it for me. I'm too aware that I'm watching something that's colorized for me to take in the program itself.

But you see that's my main point, we've seen them so often that there's nothing new to help us enjoy them sixty years later, so the color is finally something different that embellishes our enjoyment of this NEW way of seeing such familiar shows.

I don't think young audiences would be drawn away from the humor, since the color is what they're used to. Remember, black and white is one of the main reasons people don't watch it. Now, I do agree with you that black and white is beautiful and great to look at, but for seasoned fans, color is a fun bonus.

• Like 1

I don't think young audiences would be drawn away from the humor, since the color is what they're used to. Remember, black and white is one of the main reasons people don't watch it. Now, I do agree with you that black and white is beautiful and great to look at, but for seasoned fans, color is a fun bonus.

Hate to bring this up, A G A I N, but i don't even think my all time favorite film, Citizen Kane would be diminished in any way by colorization.  Something great is still great if it's colorized and then is made more watchable by the newer generations. 

But you see that's my main point, we've seen them so often that there's nothing new to help us enjoy them sixty years later, so the color is finally something different that embellishes our enjoyment of this NEW way of seeing such familiar shows.

Well, seeing them scanned in 1080p for Blu-Ray is something new. Besides, if something is near perfection to begin with, I don't see why it has to be made "new".

• Like 1

Given we saw a "snippet" of a colorized scene years ago at one of the Burbank Lucy Conventions from "LA at Last" I presume what's being aired soon is a (theoretically) "new and improved" version?? Just wonderin'! :lucywow::lucyhorror::lucyhmm:

Actually, they showed the entire colorized "L.A. at Last!" at the convention.  I think maybe the only showed a snippet when it was presented on opening night, but they were running the episode in its entirety throughout the weekend in one of the screening rooms.  That version, however, somehow got misplaced (lost) in the years since.  Maybe the found it again?  I don't know.  But I think Tom has confirmed here that this is brand new colorization.

Actually, they showed the entire colorized "L.A. at Last!" at the convention.  I think maybe the only showed a snippet when it was presented on opening night, but they were running the episode in its entirety throughout the weekend in one of the screening rooms.  That version, however, somehow got misplaced (lost) in the years since.  Maybe the found it again?  I don't know.  But I think Tom has confirmed here that this is brand new colorization.

Which should be much better than the faded brownish colored one we saw then.  Looked like it was done with an early Polaroid camera.

To those who have seen the entire colorized "LA at Last" at the convention, in it's entirety, does anybody remember anything, as far as what the colors were for the opening & closing credits, (heart-on-satin), wardrobe, sets, set pieces, props, furniture, outfits, Lucy's Hollywood Disguise, The Interior of the Ricardo's Hotel Apartment Suite, The Brown Derby, etc. Any and/or all information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

Yes I was referring to the opening night presentation; I don't recall it being shown otherwise, I'm sure if I'd known I'd have tried to look for it! ;)

Which should be much better than the faded brownish colored one we saw then.  Looked like it was done with an early Polaroid camera.

How would you know, you mean you were in attendance??! :lucywow:

To those who have seen the entire colorized "LA at Last" at the convention, in it's entirety, does anybody remember anything, as far as what the colors were for the opening & closing credits, (heart-on-satin), wardrobe, sets, set pieces, props, furniture, outfits, Lucy's Hollywood Disguise, The Interior of the Ricardo's Hotel Apartment Suite, The Brown Derby, etc. Any and/or all information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

You MUST be kidding! Do you remember intricate details of something you only saw once 20 years ago??? Oy! :vanda:

• Like 1

Yes I was referring to the opening night presentation; I don't recall it being shown otherwise, I'm sure if I'd known I'd have tried to look for it! ;)

How would you know, you mean you were in attendance??! :lucywow:

You MUST be kidding! Do you remember intricate details of something you only saw once 20 years ago??? Oy! :vanda:

No, I'm not kidding, and yes, I do indeed remember intricate details of something I saw once, 20 and/or more years ago, so, "Oy!" yourself!  

• Like 1