I Love Lucy: The "Remake"

Since so many people seem to feel colorization is the only answer to keeping the show alive, I'm going to suggest it's not enough. Eventually, it'll have to be remade in order to keep the kiddies truly interested, and conform to modern sensibilities about gender roles.

So, casting? Well, obviously a strong social media following is key nowadays so that everybody can be live tweeting each airing. Kim Kardashian would be a shoe in for Lucy, in that case. And Snooki for Ethel! What an idea! That'd surely bring the tweens heads up and away from their iPhones for a few seconds, at least. Keenan Thompson could bring a new perspective to Fred Mertz, and William Levy looks good enough without a shirt on to be Ricky for a 21st century audience.

Plotwise, there'd have to be much tinkering done to make the show politically correct. No more mocking of accents, no more preventing Lucy from doing what she wants, no more weight jokes, no more tightwad jokes, no more wasting chocolates or grapes for the sake of comedy. Pretty much no character comedy of any kind. All of this will add up to a show that no social justice warrior could ever be offended at. Sounds like a sure fire winner!

Whatcha think? ;)

This is when the world will finally implode.

No joke there.

All kidding aside, I know many people have expressed an interest in seeing Debra Messing tackle Lucy, either in a biopic or something else. Though I'd never condone a remake, I would also be curious to see her take on either Lucille Ball or the Lucy character.

I wouldn't want to be the actor/actress who was cast as one of those four!  I think color is enough to "modernize" this classic... making it politically correct and recasting it and "updating" it would ruin it.  I think color will enhance it for an "I don't watch black and white" audience, but recasting and retooling naaahhh. 

• 4 weeks later...

LMAO! Some brilliant soul at Ken Levine's blog made this comment in regards to reinventing Lucy in color:

"At least it wasn't a "re-imagining" of with Sofia Vergara as saucy nightclub entertainer Riqui, Matthew Broderick as star-struck husband Lou C. Ricardo, with Rosie O'Donnell and K.D. Lang as Freida and Ethel, the two talented landladies."

• Like 1

LMAO! Some brilliant soul at Ken Levine's blog made this comment in regards to reinventing Lucy in color:

"At least it wasn't a "re-imagining" of with Sofia Vergara as saucy nightclub entertainer Riqui, Matthew Broderick as star-struck husband Lou C. Ricardo, with Rosie O'Donnell and K.D. Lang as Freida and Ethel, the two talented landladies."

:HALKING:

Okay, you have to admit, k.d. lang is kind of ingenious casting. lol

The Rosie mention doesn't hurt either! Although why they're not referred to as the obvious i.e. the two talented lesbos is beyond me!!! :vanda:

• Like 1