Vanda Barra 1924 - 2015

Brock

So I texted my sister to tell her Vanda died and it's the first time we've actually had a conversation in over a year. Glad to see Vanda's bringing people together even in the afterlife. On a side note, I texted my sister that Vanda was dead, to which she replied "Who's that?" and I sent her Brock's profile photo. We must have gotten it from the same source; I just googled Vanda Barra and that showed up.

who the hell is named VANDA? :vanda:  :sid: I

She fared than her sister named Theda.  Yes, Theda Barra.  Assuming she's within a year or two of Vanda, the 1920s were the years of Theda Bara's fame, the actress who played Cleopatra before Liz Taylor.

Lucy: I'm an authority on Cleopatra......because I've seen the movie 12 times. 

Viv: She means the one with Theda Bara.

By the way, that movie is 5 1/2 hours long so Lucy Carmichael spent 64 hours during the summer of 1963 (it was released in June) watching that movie, roughly the amount of time it would take someone to watch the ENTIRE run of The Lucy Show" (less commercials each episode is 24 minutes, it runs 62 1/2 hours).

Maybe later when the Danfield Volunteers proposes putting on  "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?", Lucy wants the part of  Martha because she's seen that 12 times.

Viv: She means the one with Vanda Barra.

I'll bet Vanda was a great Martha.  I wonder who her George was.

• Like 1

She fared than her sister named Theda.  Yes, Theda Barra.  Assuming she's within a year or two of Vanda, the 1920s were the years of Theda Bara's fame, the actress who played Cleopatra before Liz Taylor.

By the way, that movie is 5 1/2 hours long so Lucy Carmichael spent 64 hours during the summer of 1963 (it was released in June) watching that movie, roughly the amount of time it would take someone to watch the ENTIRE run of The Lucy Show" (less commercials each episode is 24 minutes, it runs 62 1/2 hours).

Maybe later when the Danfield Volunteers proposes putting on  "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?", Lucy wants the part of  Martha because she's seen that 12 times.

Mickey Rooney! (I"m KIDDING!!!) :lucyeww:

Yeah well, when i first read about Theda, i figured it HAD to be a joke, LOL!

Vanda's death had been picked up by The Hollywood Reporter. :( The second last paragraph is very inaccurate.

hollywoodreporter.com/news/vanda-barra-dead-lucille-ball-791353

She was a stage actress! I guess that's Hollywood for you. If it didn't happen on the screen, it's not acting.

But it's fantastic she's at least being recognized.

• Like 2

She was a stage actress! I guess that's Hollywood for you. If it didn't happen on the screen, it's not acting.

Right. And she was very reluctant to leave her NY stage career behind to join Sid. He had already been out there for about five years before he persuaded her.

It's also odd the HR article doesn't mention she was predeceased by her only child, TV producer/writer Douglas Arango.

Well this is pretty cool! Check out the last paragraph from this posting on Facebook from Vivian Vance tribute page:

Vanda Theodora Barra October 3, 1924 - April 9, 2015 (pictured with cake lid)

Actress Vanda Barra, a relative of Lucille Ball’s who played opposite the legendary comedienne in a pair of CBS sitcoms, has died. She was 90.

Barra, a longtime resident of Palm Springs, died April 9 after a long illness, her family announced.

Barra was married to the late stand-up comic and actor Sid Gould, who was a cousin of Ball’s second husband, producer Gary Morton.

She played several characters on the final, 1967-68 season of The Lucy Show, then appeared in Here’s Lucy, mainly as a secretary who worked in the same office building as Lucy’s character.

Barra also had small roles on The Mothers-In-Law, The Jonathan Winters Show, All in the Family, Rhoda, Too Close for Comfort and The Jeffersons.

Barra worked as a model in New York City before moving to California to pursue an acting career.

Survivors include her sister Theda and niece Adrienne, several grand nephews and a grand niece. Donations in her memory may be made to the Palm Springs Desert Aids Project. 1695 North Sunrise Way, Palm Springs, Ca. 92262.

11182176_904359339636277_249260433723928

• Like 2