New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

Yeah, I always kinda felt Gary wasn't the saint he was made out to be (everyone commenting on how he was much better to Lucy than Desi ever was). Bullcrap. He was just more discreet as I said before. You can't go from screwing all the Rockettes one moment and then becoming a loyal husband the next. Lucy was so much older than he was and maybe that's another reason. Not saying he didn't love Lucy, I'm sure he did in his own way, but pppffft. My opinion of Gary is even lower now after reading this than ever. lol

Yeah, I always kinda felt Gary wasn't the saint he was made out to be (everyone commenting on how he was much better to Lucy than Desi ever was). Bullcrap. He was just more discreet as I said before. You can't go from screwing all the Rockettes one moment and then becoming a loyal husband the next. Lucy was so much older than he was and maybe that's another reason. Not saying he didn't love Lucy, I'm sure he did in his own way, but pppffft. My opinion of Gary is even lower now after reading this than ever. lol

Yeah, i was going to mention the AGE thing, with all the young gorgeous women chasing after wealthy men in Hollywood, i'm sure the opportunity presented itself very often and he was even a producer in a town that would do anything to get a job.

After reading all of these intriguing posts, I tried to download this juicy little lovefest to my Nook but apparently it's only available to the Kindle. Boo.

You can download it to your PC as well. I did, started reading it, and had to give up. I think I need a full tank of gas sleep to make a dent in it.

I'm reading Harry's/Jim's book "Lucille Ball:FAQ" & it is soooo good! I've lost track of how many times I've thought,'Wow, I didn't know that'. There are so many many interesting facts & details in every chapter. I have not gotten enough sleep this week because I stay up much too late reading it :marionstrong: . I'm so glad I heard about this book here at the Lounge; in my opinion it is a must have for every Lucy fan.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this! It is an excellent book & I am really enjoying it.

• Like 1

I'm reading Harry's/Jim's book "Lucille Ball:FAQ" & it is soooo good! I've lost track of how many times I've thought,'Wow, I didn't know that'. There are so many many interesting facts & details in every chapter. I have not gotten enough sleep this week because I stay up much too late reading it :marionstrong: . I'm so glad I heard about this book here at the Lounge; in my opinion it is a must have for every Lucy fan.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this! It is an excellent book & I am really enjoying it.

I know, isn't it T E R R I F I C ????? I loved it from the first minute i read it and read it all in no time, loads of fascinating facts and so well presented, i expected nothing less from the very knowlegeable Jim Sheridan aka Harry Carter.

• Like 1

Thank you so much! That is so nice to hear! :)

• Like 1

I picked up I Had a Ball: My Friendship with Lucille Ball a few months ago but haven't cracked it yet--really looking forward to it, though. Was talking to the author, Michael Stern, about the book at the Hollywood Collector's Show and he really seemed to have some great stories and memories of dear old Lucy. I enjoy these first-hand accounts from people around the subject a lot more than the typical biography book.

Great to know, thanks for the review. I quite enjoy the FAQ series...I got the Beach Boys FAQ a few weeks ago and it's fantastic. I really enjoyed the way they presented each chapter...very refreshing. I'm sure the Lucy book will follow the same pattern.

I picked up I Had a Ball: My Friendship with Lucille Ball a few months ago but haven't cracked it yet--really looking forward to it, though. Was talking to the author, Michael Stern, about the book at the Hollywood Collector's Show and he really seemed to have some great stories and memories of dear old Lucy. I enjoy these first-hand accounts from people around the subject a lot more than the typical biography book.

You'll find out that it's all about Stern and not ENOUGH about Lucy. Glad he finally got the book OUT but wish he had realized that we want to hear more about Lucy, not him so much.

Michael Stern's book is a very enjoyable, breezy read with lots of great stories that hadn't been told before. It certainly gives fans a second-hand thrill!

Hmm...interesting Claude, thanks for the tip. Yeah he mentioned to me about his health troubles and how he discussed it in his book (and the funny connection to the title) but I had no idea it was more about him. I'll still have to check it out. I assume it's not better than "I Loved Lucy" by Lee Tannen, eh? Now, that book I throughouly enjoyed.

Great thanks Brock...looking forward to it!

So...about the FAQ book...I'm kinda shocked that a few people are saying that they were still able to pick up few bits of information about Lucy they never knew before...that to me, is incredible. Kudos to the authors for unearthing some more info. Here I thought there was nothing really left to uncover about our favorite redhead. Hopefully I'll pick up the book tonight.