Two Different Takes On Lucy

I thought this was big enough to get its own little thread since I'm curious to hear everyone's reactions. This week, I encountered two different ways my peers reacted to Lucy- one positive and one kind of negative. 

The Positive:

Today, a good friend told me that they'd heard me talk about ILL and now they're watching multiple episodes nightly. I don't tell too many people about my little classic TV hobby and I'm always thrilled when I can convert one. This friend was shocked to find out that Lucy and Desi were married in real life!

The Negative:

On Thursday, we watched Job Switching in history class to demonstrate gender roles and pop culture of the 50s and all that. There was almost no reaction for the first half of the episode. The class was watching, but not laughing. Once the conveyor belt scene got started, there were some chuckles. We watched it on Hulu, and it would occasionally buffer, prompting genuine disappointment from everyone. They were obviously invested. In the end, everyone wanted to know what I thought of it since I'm known for hating everything. They were shocked when I called it one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. I think they enjoyed it. However, there was this one nerd who had to make a sarcastic comment after every joke. He kept calling it "highly illogical" and I was getting more and more pissed off. After it was done, he was still going on about it, and I lost my temper. Here's a fairly close transcript of the speech I made to him in front of everyone:

"Alright, Keegan I've had just about all I can take from you. There's something you need to understand about working with other people. Any time someone says something to be funny, you cannot just dissect it to the point of breaking its spirit. Your awful need to usurp everyone with your 'logic' negates any humor at all and nothing's ever enjoyable. It's especially ridiculous that you shoved yourself into every bit of comedy in the episode we watched. Sarcasm is one thing, but it's another when you use it to tear apart a near perfect piece of art that is smarter, funnier, and more popular than you'll ever be in your life!"

Was that too strong or do you think it was worth it to defend the honor of the show? Also, how many young people have you encountered that have acted in these two ways?

• Like 2

"Alright, Keegan I've had just about all I can take from you. There's something you need to understand about working with other people. Any time someone says something to be funny, you cannot just dissect it to the point of breaking its spirit. Your awful need to usurp everyone with your 'logic' negates any humor at all and nothing's ever enjoyable. It's especially ridiculous that you shoved yourself into every bit of comedy in the episode we watched. Sarcasm is one thing, but it's another when you use it to tear apart a near perfect piece of art that is smarter, funnier, and more popular than you'll ever be in your life!"

Wow, well said! I would've thought things along the same lines, but I probably wouldn't have dared speak up in a similar circumstance. Good on you!

All too often, that seems to be a very common "student" attitude. They feel the need to dissect and analyze everything to death, often breaking down why said piece doesn't deserve the recognition it has, all seemingly to show off how "clever" they are. It's just a phase for some, but it sadly becomes a way of life for others.

"I'm a student, I got into this school, and that means I know everything about everything now and it's all beneath me!"  Not everyone is like that but plenty are. Hell, even I was guilty of it to an extent during my school days, but I'd like to think I learned from it. As it stands, I try to be very objective and understand that not everybody will appreciate all the things I do, nor will I enjoy something that somebody else will (colorization being a more sensitive exception for the time being).  

I'm curious as to what this Keegan's reaction was to your little smackdown.

Wow, well said! I would've thought things along the same lines, but I probably wouldn't have dared speak up in a similar circumstance. Good on you!

All too often, that seems to be a very common "student" attitude. They feel the need to dissect and analyze everything to death, often breaking down why said piece doesn't deserve the recognition it has, all seemingly to show off how "clever" they are. It's just a phase for some, but it sadly becomes a way of life for others.

"I'm a student, I got into this school, and that means I know everything about everything now and it's all beneath me!"  Not everyone is like that but plenty are. Hell, even I was guilty of it to an extent during my school days, but I'd like to think I learned from it. As it stands, I try to be very objective and understand that not everybody will appreciate all the things I do, nor will I enjoy something that somebody else will (colorization being a more sensitive exception for the time being).  

I'm curious as to what this Keegan's reaction was to your little smackdown.

He shut his mouth and walked away and for that the class was eternally grateful. I've kind of turned into a trailblazer at my school because I'm sick of the whole 'talking behind someone's back when you don't like them' thing. If someone won't stop doing something wrong, I will make a bit of a scene but the problem goes away pretty quick and everyone is happy with the results.

• Like 1

I thought this was big enough to get its own little thread since I'm curious to hear everyone's reactions. This week, I encountered two different ways my peers reacted to Lucy- one positive and one kind of negative. 

The Positive:

Today, a good friend told me that they'd heard me talk about ILL and now they're watching multiple episodes nightly. I don't tell too many people about my little classic TV hobby and I'm always thrilled when I can convert one. This friend was shocked to find out that Lucy and Desi were married in real life!

The Negative:

On Thursday, we watched Job Switching in history class to demonstrate gender roles and pop culture of the 50s and all that. There was almost no reaction for the first half of the episode. The class was watching, but not laughing. Once the conveyor belt scene got started, there were some chuckles. We watched it on Hulu, and it would occasionally buffer, prompting genuine disappointment from everyone. They were obviously invested. In the end, everyone wanted to know what I thought of it since I'm known for hating everything. They were shocked when I called it one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. I think they enjoyed it. However, there was this one nerd who had to make a sarcastic comment after every joke. He kept calling it "highly illogical" and I was getting more and more pissed off. After it was done, he was still going on about it, and I lost my temper. Here's a fairly close transcript of the speech I made to him in front of everyone:

Was that too strong or do you think it was worth it to defend the honor of the show? Also, how many young people have you encountered that have acted in these two ways?

Obviously, love, some people just have no happiness, let alone, humor in their lives.  Bet this  person will watch things better now that you reamed him; of course, he may kill you. 

I could find him first, if you desire!!!!  JK

Obviously, love, some people just have no happiness, let alone, humor in their lives.  Bet this  person will watch things better now that you reamed him; of course, he may kill you. 

I could find him first, if you desire!!!!  JK

:HALKING:  :HALKING:  :HALKING:  I don't think that would be necessary, but thanks! Not to stereotype, but he's not exactly the kind of person who goes around beating people up!