A Date for Lucy

For sure.  Another example that comes to mind is Linda Lavin on Alice.  After Bob and Madelyn took over the show, they sometimes had her doing Lucy stuff and it was downright embarrassing to watch her.

My point exactly, although my perfect example is the great Carol Burnett attempting to do the chocolate factory, i forget where though.

I have that. It was on some tribute of some sort. CBS or women in comedy type thing. Yeah that seemed awkward.

Oh yeah, could have been one of those great Ladies in Comedy specials the Museum used to do.  Hate to say this but Carol lost some of her facial expressions after getting her chin redone.

She WAS great in anything dramatic, ever see friendly Fire or Pete and Tillie?

I saw Pete 'n' Tillie when it was originally released, which was a long, long time ago.  And I saw Friendly Fire when it originally aired.  I haven't see either one since.  Pete 'n' Tillie actually got remade for television two years after the Burnett/Matthau version, with Cloris Leachman in the role of Tillie, and Leachman's future Phyllis co-star, Carmine Caridi, as Pete.

Having completed by tour of Here's Lucy Season One -- going straight through each episode and not skipping any installment whatsoever for the first time in years.. including Tennessee Ernie's "Fun" Farm, which was an excruciating experience in itself -- I found my opinions had changed on several episodes. Shelly was right. It is a very interesting experience going through them one by one. In the end, I found Season One to be far more solid than I had remembered or reframed, with several classics in the mix. Before this exercise, my vote for the overall best installment of the season would have gone to Lucy, The Process Server, followed by Lucy's Working Daughter.

Process Server is always a particularly satisfying episode. It is logical, the kids are used well, and the plot comes full circle with barely a wasted moment.

Now, however, I think my vote has to go to A Date for Lucy. While the plot is not nearly as grounded in reality as the other, it more than makes up for it in other ways. For one, Lucy and Cesar Romero work beautifully together but, more importantly, this is such a great showcase for Lucille Ball herself. Not only does she look great, but she probably performs some of her best physical work -- broad and subtle -- here than anywhere else in the season. Two examples that immediately spring to mind is Lucy trying to quietly count the diamonds in Barbara Morrison's bracelet, and her reaction after realizing she has wiped the cocktail sauce from the bracelet with the back of the woman's dress. Pitch perfect.

Thoughts on this episode? What gets your vote?

I actually can't watch much of Lucy's sitcom work after 1960 because of this reason... it's not Desi/Ricky! I'm actually working on a piece of fanfiction for The Lucy Show that brings in a brand new character to romance Lucy Carmichael and he will remind us of someone very familiar.