JIM BAILEY

rickee

WOULD LOVE to hear of your recollection of THAT conversation....  for the chronology, of course!  Loving you, JK :fabrary:

I can't really remember too much of it.  His impressions of Lucy have been printed elsewhere.  The general gist is that she was great to him and the Here's Lucy appearance gave his career a real boost.

I can't really remember too much of it.  His impressions of Lucy have been printed elsewhere.  The general gist is that she was great to him and the Here's Lucy appearance gave his career a real boost.

Yeah, didn't he lose his voice or something and she gave him HER own dressing room and doctored him and everything?  And YES, he always had some very nice things to say about her. 

And Imogene Coca, who sliced the most:  1920 vs. 1908.  I'm assuming they didn't want her to seem that much older than her co-star Sid Caesar born in 1922.   Unfortunately, there's usually some event that screws up their timeline.  Imogene starred on Broadway in "New Faces of 1934".   Of course, if Ann Miller indeed was 14 in "Stage Door", anything's possible.    In the wake of her success in "Whales of August", Ann Sothern tried slicing 10 years off her age in an interview with People magazine.  The writer pointed out (to us, NOT Ann) that that would have made her 10 when she made her movie debut as  Harriet Lake, a young woman. 

For women, I think it's more about employability than vanity.   Take Lucy in Mame.  Misogynist reviewers (including females) focused on her age.   Did they mention John Wayne's age every time one of his movies came out?  The leading ladies of Bob Hope and Fred Astaire, especially as these men got older, were all 20 years-plus younger than them.. 

And all of these age-slicing women mentioned, especially Booth and Natalie had the looks and youthful energy to get away with it.  As did Jim.  I saw him probably about 6 years ago in a little club in Palm Springs, talked to him after (had great things to say about Lucy) and I would have put his age at about 60 then, certainly not 70 which apparently is how old he was.

How about Zsa Zsa winning the Miss Hungary pageant at 3 months?

P.s. this has bugged/puzzled me for years but it's brought to light again with Brock's wundaful new lounge masthead honoring the late Jim Bailey, it's certainly highlighted herein: why oh why was he made up to appear green-faced??? It looks so weird and makes no sense, at least in the context of his appearance in the episode!  Any idea anyone? Anyone?

Bueller? Or should I say....James (Sheridan, that is! :))

I don't know the answer to this, but I guess the makeup used to make him believable as a woman resulted in him having a green tint. i know that Some Like It Hot had to be filmed in black and white because the makeup used on Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis made them look green. 

• Like 1

I don't know the answer to this, but I guess the makeup used to make him believable as a woman resulted in him having a green tint. i know that Some Like It Hot had to be filmed in black and white because the makeup used on Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis made them look green. 

Seriously??? I've never heard this theory before!! And not that I don't believe you but it still doesn't make sense to me! Thanks Jimmy! :lucywow:

Thanks for that tidbit, Neil; you are the best!  Loving you, JK :fabrary:

Harry

Jim Bailey on What's My Line? with Lucie Arnaz.  [AND...he surely does NOT look more than ten years older than Lucie; of course, it could be the makeup - he sure was PRETTY!!!!]

I've looked in Lucie's bio on IMDb and it does not show her appearance; can you supply the month, day and year of same?  Thanks so much if you can....Loving you, JK :fabrary:

Harry:

Jim Bailey on What's My Line? with Lucie Arnaz. [AND...he surely does NOT look more than ten years older than Lucie; of course, it could be the makeup - he sure was PRETTY!!!!]

I've looked in Lucie's bio on IMDb and it does not show her appearance; can you supply the month, day and year of same? Thanks so much if you can....Loving you, JK :fabrary:

The show was taped February 8, 1973.

Two things:

1. What's all this talk about Jim in "green face"?  Did he  1) get a case of the gobloots (or was it merely a green lightbulb)?; or 2) fall into a vat of green dye?

2. I am henceforth subtracting 11 years off my real age (whatever that it, I forget) and I expect everyone here to  keep my little secret.

Two things:

1. What's all this talk about Jim in "green face"?  Did he  1) get a case of the gobloots (or was it merely a green lightbulb)?; or 2) fall into a vat of green dye?

2. I am henceforth subtracting 11 years off my real age (whatever that it, I forget) and I expect everyone here to  keep my little secret.

1) Take a look at Brock's current masthead for The Lounge in tribute of Mr. Bailey's passing: sure looks green to me!!

2) Well dahling...if anyone can "shave" nearly a dozen years off their real (or is that "reel"??) age and get away with it, it'd be you so...Happy 54th!!! :HALKING::lucywow:;)

Two things:

Put me down for number two.

I've watched a few Jim Bailey videos on youtube and he was really remarkable.  it's one thing to capture the look and the movements, but the voice.......only Mr. Punchy Players is in his league.  Gosh! I sure hope Jim wasn't one of the PP-ers.

I've watched a few Jim Bailey videos on youtube and he was really remarkable.  it's one thing to capture the look and the movements, but the voice.......only Mr. Punchy Players is in his league.  Gosh! I sure hope Jim wasn't one of the PP-ers.

True, his Garland and Streisand were stupendous, was he the one who did Barbra as if she were cross eyed?

Watched some of his stuff too, as I was only familiar with HL. It was honestly a little freaky the way he could embody all those people. It's a shame you don't see more male impersonators. I'd like to see a Jack Lemmon or a George Burns.