Lucy Discusses Carol Burnett

Oh she's just delightful here.  You can tell she clearly loved talking about Carol.  I liked how when the interviewer would be asking a questions Lucy's face who just light up with her big eyes.  She's very pretty in this interview.  

I was trying to look at the pictures too.  Was this shot in the den at Roxbury?

I love how we get to see a little bit after the interview ended!

Me too lol Shows just how much she relied on Gary to be whatever she needed him to be with others, to protect her-

Yet she was so gracious and kind and continuously smiling lol just like a mobsters wife lol (smiling while the husband does the dirty work) lol

Lucy does this thing where she clears her throat around 3:51, but its almost unrecognizable. It's just a silent back of the throat cough lol- it's not a swallow, but  a silent clearing or cough lol to clear her throat- she did this a lot, and I FIND IT AMAZING lol , I guess it's a true skill that she learned over time when performing on camera, in front of a live audience-taping on film, and not wanting to disturb the flow of dialogue. I guess she developed the skill of quietly coughing or clearing her throat, I dunno if that's an old hollywood thoroughbred practice- but it's cute to catch when you ever notice her doing it. lol

Another thing I like about this footage is that its tape and not film, which makes her look so realistic and live. You really get a feel of what it was like to see her in person with all of those noticeable features working all at once- Those eyes blinking and her bow lips making those perfect oval arches over her lips, and those high high eye brows lol Its just fascinating! :D

Well now I need to go back and watch this again to look for those things.

She had the most lovely round apple cheeks. They really come out in this interview.

That clear your throat commentary is fantastic. Also Lucy used to get cotton mouth a ton on interviews but the whole way through here without a glass of water.

• Like 1

Well now I need to go back and watch this again to look for those things.

She had the most lovely round apple cheeks. They really come out in this interview.

That clear your throat commentary is fantastic. Also Lucy used to get cotton mouth a ton on interviews but the whole way through here without a glass of water.

I've never experienced Lucy's so-called Cotton Mouth. Is it normal for other people to get this or was it some sort of weird medical thing because I've only ever heard Lucy call it Cotton Mouth.

THAT was really cool!!!   I never ever saw anything where they used this footage.  I wonder why they did this?  In any case, I like hearing Gary in the background and I loved seeing her.  SHE looks so damn pretty.  The lighting was good and her attire was very pleasing!!  I loved hearing the HONESTY in her voice and the REALISM in its inflection.

I do think in addition to the cigarettes perhaps a medicine she was on made her mouth very dry.  Regarding the "clearing of throat", I always thought she was trying to look pretty for the camera.  I never thought of her having to hide a cough or anything, just thought she was keeping her chin and head elevated to show her from her best angle. 

Interesting, I need to view this again to see if I detect a "throat clear"..   I love how we all have our "LUCY ITEMS" that appeal to us and I enjoy seeing her through everyone else's eyes!  I could watch those lips all day long!

This is quite groovy: raw footage of Lucy being interviewed about Carol Burnett for a CBS News profile in 1984.

Click "Show Preview."

http://www.t3licensing.com/license/clip/2B1004612_s01.do?assetId=clip_30361978&keywords=lucille%20ball

I wish I could make out all the pictures on the wall.

Thank you so much for posting this!  This is a terrific clip.

• 1 year later...