DVD Alert: The Danny Kaye Show (Oct 16)

Brock

It sure is for me! Thanks for the heads up on yet another "classic TV" on DVD release featuring our favorite redhead (and I don't mean DK!) and as a bonus for me, Busty Ingels in her prime! Woohoo!!! :HALKING:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just diving into this set now with Lucy's episode and am now taking in Busty Ingels's instalment. Great episodes. Lucy and Danny worked so well together, and it is nice to see it in such wonderful quality -- particularly the cameos from Hazel and Irma.

Busty sings I presume. Does she partake in any comedy sketches as well? (BTW What year was this broadcast, '64?) Thanks! :)

The Danny Kaye-Lucy episode is not quite as wonderful as the NBC COLOR special from 1962  (for which she received 20% of the entire budget: $100,000 or $788,000 in today's dollars).  I have only seen a crummy b/w kinescope of that.  Danny's show went color the next season-1965-as did most CBS shows.  Too bad this one was wasn't in color with all those balloons.  The one musical number "We Believe in Ba-lowing Balloons" is not one of the greatest things she did musically.  For some reason, Danny screeches out his vocals singing in Lucy's upper-register key, which is high even for her.  The skit where they are two actors doing quick changes backstage is enjoyable and I liked the showing of the backstage footage.  When Lucy was threatening to quit in 1964, one of the proposals for a time was a "Lucille Ball Variety Hour" for the next season instead of "The Lucy Show".  Interesting to think about.  Lucy was still up to the task at this point.  I don't know if this variety show was considered less work for her than a half-hour Lucy Show. You wouldn't think so.  If she was using the quitting threat as leverage for Desilu pilots, the ploy did not work.  For the 64-65 season (and the following 65-66 season), The Lucy Show was the only Desilu show on any network's schedule. 

Danny's show was in past my 1964 bedtime so I never saw it originally.  At the end of this season, The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour replaced Danny for the summer Wednesdays at 10pm, the latest it was ever run. 

• Like 1