Carol+2 Coming to DVD!

Freddie2

I'd forgotten that Carol came back twice with variety series that failed---plus the Carol and Company comedy anthology.

Her first "comeback" was the summer after the CBS series finished its run.  Very interesting that this ended up on ABC with Tim Conway as the only holdover regular.  Was this limited run (4 episodes) a test for a revival?  Another interesting note is that it was given the dreaded 8:00 Saturday night time slot on ABC (which in 7 years would be occupied by Life with Lucy).

But Carol's real "Life with Lucy" was the 1991 comeback which I don't recall being preceded by any fanfare.  It was hampered by its time slot (Friday at 9) up against ABC's then-popular but wan comedy block.  None of CBS's Friday shows that year made it past mid-season, except for the critically acclaimed but low-rated "Brooklyn Bridge" which CBS moved, then renewed for one more year, hoping for a Dick Van Dyke/Cheers word-of-mouth ratings upswing.

Another critical factor for all the 1991 fall debuts was a strike kept the shows from debuting in September.  Carol's show did not start until November 1st.  Assuming it wasn't pre-empted, CBS aired 9 episodes before pulling the plug on December 27th (Merry Christmas, Carol!!).  9 is an odd number of episodes to be produced.  Usually a network will order 6 or 13.  Does anyone know if there were some unaired CB's from 1991?

This 1991 strike also delayed, and perhaps sabotaged Lucie Arnaz's entertaining "Sons and Daughters", also on CBS Friday nights (but at 10pm),debuting a week after Carol's cancellation and lasting about as long.  

I can't think of ONE performer, revered for their popularity and having a huge hit under their belt that did NOT have a "Life with Lucy" on their resume.   Most are mercifully forgotten.  Many of those same performers went on to another hit series ("Matlock" "Diagnosis: Murder").  Most people probably don't realize that Mary Tyler Moore had 5 series that flopped after MTM.  (and I might not be remember them ALL!)

• Like 1

I'd forgotten that Carol came back twice with variety series that failed---plus the Carol and Company comedy anthology.

Her first "comeback" was the summer after the CBS series finished its run. Very interesting that this ended up on ABC with Tim Conway as the only holdover regular. Was this limited run (4 episodes) a test for a revival?

Vicki Lawrence was also a regular on the 1979 summer show. Craig Richard Nelson and Kenneth Mars were also part of the cast. Carol decided that she missed doing the show and wanted to do four week summer replacement show. CBS didn't have room for it on their schedule so it went to ABC. Carol said she hoped to do it every summer, but it only lasted that one year.

CBS didn't have room for it on their schedule so it went to ABC. 

I wonder if that was really the case or they just weren't interested.  Just how full could their August 1979 schedule have been?  It certainly wasn't overloaded with hits.

78-79 was a really bad season for CBS and NBC, but ABC had 20 of the top 30 shows!  CBS had 6, NBC 4.   I had quit watching TV.  It was that horrible. I never cared for the big ABC hits of the time.

Neil, there were only 6 episodes of the 1991 CB show. There is a surprising lack of info on line, and most of it is wrong.

Does the book that just came out cover this show (and /or the other "spinoffs") as well, or just the "real" (long-running) 11-year TCBS?

If not perhaps Carol's book will. Can't wait for it!! :peachonthebeach:

Does the book that just came out cover this show (and /or the other "spinoffs") as well, or just the "real" (long-running) 11-year TCBS?

If not perhaps Carol's book will. Can't wait for it!! :peachonthebeach:

Do we know if Carol's book will focus on the whole series or just the usual "hand-picked" episodes she talks about over and over again?

LOL! Is there a reason Carol is so selective in her reminiscences? Are reporters given a list of things never to ask her?

Perhaps. It's not unusual to have stipulations in place and/or a "pre-interview" in which the star and/or manager sets guidelines as to what topics can and cannot be broached.  I would imagine in Carol's case she's pretty much an "open book" except perhaps in not wanting -- and who can blame her? -- to discuss the trials & tribulations she had when her daughters were going through their respective travails (drugs, cancer etc.). 

:peachonthebeach:

As for the book, not sure but I thought I'd read that it is supposed to cover the entire run of the 11 year variety show. 

Between the two books, hopefully everything left yet to be discovered about this classic effort will be out there for us fans to revel in! :blink:

I just pre-ordered Carol's book on Amazon. They now show the cover - very cute.

A link you say? Oh don't mind if I do! A picture??? Why sure!! :blink:

51mZCs5fkvL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Such-Good-Company-Laughter-Sandbox/dp/1101904658/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1461733994&sr=1-4

In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox Hardcover September 13, 2016
by Carol Burnett (Author)

Comedy legend Carol Burnett tells the hilarious behind-the-scenes story of her iconic weekly variety series, The Carol Burnett Show.

Who but Carol Burnett herself has the timing, talent, and wit to pull back the curtain on the Emmy-Award winning show that made television history for eleven glorious seasons?

In Such Good Company delves into little-known stories of the guests, sketches and antics that made the show legendary, as well as some favorite tales too good not to relive again. Carol lays it all out for us, from the show’s original conception to its evolution into one of the most beloved primetime programs of its generation.

Written with all the charm and humor fans expect from a masterful entertainer like Carol Burnett, In Such Good Company skillfully highlights the elements that made the show so successful in a competitive period when TV variety shows ruled the air waves. Putting the spotlight on everyone from her talented costars to her amazing guest stars—the most celebrated and popular entertainers of their day—Carol crafts a lively portrait of the talent and creativity that went into every episode.

Here are all the topics readers want to know more about, including:

• how the show almost didn’t air due to the misgivings of certain CBS vice presidents;

• how she discovered and hired Harvey Korman, Vicki Lawrence, Lyle Waggoner, and Tim Conway;

• anecdotes about guest stars and her close freindships with many of them, including Lucille Ball, Roddy Mcdowell, Jim Nabors, Bernadette Peters, Betty Grable, Steve Lawrence, Eydie Gorme, Gloria Swanson, Rita Hayworth, and Betty White;

• the people behind the scenes from Bob Mackie, her costume designer and partner in crime, to the wickedly funny cameraman who became a fixture during the show’s opening Q&A;

• and Carol's takes on her favorite sketches and the unpredictable moments that took both the cast and viewers by surprise.

This book is Carol's love letter to a golden era in television history through the lens of her brilliant show which won no less than 25 Emmy Awards! Get the best seat in the house as she reminisces about the outrageous tales that made working on the show as much fun as watching it.

I'm sort of skipping around and skimming the Carol Burnett Companion Book. He notes which episodes he's actually seen, which he's seen only parts of (sometimes just the Carol Burnett and Friends portions) and a few that he could not get access to. In 11 seasons, there were 276 shows. And while there were plenty of high points, there were also bits of comedy that were labored and went on too long. His assessments are actually brutally frank and there's a LOT of negative comments about particular episodes. I'm not familiar enough with The CB Show to disagree with him. I much prefer this sort of episode guide rather than the love letter variety.

Did Carol try to sue to prevent this book being published?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...