The I Love Lucy Superstar Special (John Wayne Edition) - Sunday, May 22 on CBS!

HarryCarter

According to TV media columnist Marc Berman:

What follows are the fast affiliate results for Friday, May 20 broken out by network and by each half-hour:

-Total Viewers:
CBS: 5.02 million, ABC: 4.89, NBC: 4.17, Fox: 1.94, CW: 1.19

-Adults 18-49:
ABC: 1.1 rating/5 share, NBC: 0.9/ 4, CBS: 0.7/ 3, Fox: 0.6/ 3, CW: 0.4/ 2

———-

8:00 p.m.

ABC – Beyond the Tank
Viewers: 4.01 million (#3), A18-49: 0.8/ 4 (#2t)

CBS – I Love Lucy Superstar Special
Viewers: 5.49 million (#1), A18-49: 0.8/ 4 (#2t)

NBC – Grimm (season finale)
Viewers: 4.33 million (#2), A18-49: 0.9/ 4 (#1)

Fox – Movie: Easy A ®
Viewers: 1.97 million (#4), A18-49: 0.6/ 3 (#4)

CW – Masters of Illusion (season premiere)
Viewers: 1.49 million (#5), A18-49: 0.4/ 2 (#5)

———-

8:30 p.m.

ABC – Beyond the Tank
Viewers: 3.81 million (#3), A18-49: 0.8/ 4 (#1t)

CBS – I Love Lucy Superstar Special
Viewers: 5.37 million (#1), A18-49: 0.8/ 4 (#1t)

Viewers: 3.92 million (#2), A18-49: 0.8/ 4 (#1t)

Viewers: 1.77 million (#4), A18-49: 0.6/ 3 (#4)

CW – Masters of Illusion (season premiere)
Viewers: 1.39 million (#5), A18-49: 0.4/ 2 (#5)

———-

9:00 p.m.

ABC – Shark Tank (season finale)
Viewers: 5.23 million (#1), A18-49: 1.1/ 5 (#1)

CBS – Undercover Boss
Viewers: 3.99 million (#4), A18-49: 0.7/ 3 (#3t)

Viewers: 4.04 million (#2), A18-49: 0.9/ 4 (#2)

Viewers: 1.98 million (#4), A18-49: 0.7/ 3 (#3t)

CW – The Originals (season finale)
Viewers: 1.02 million (#5), A18-49: 0.4/ 2 (#5)

———-

9:30 p.m.

ABC – Shark Tank (season finale)
Viewers: 5.69 million (#1), A18-49: 1.3/ 5 (#1)

CBS – Undercover Boss
Viewers: 4.06 million (#3), A18-49: 0.7/ 3 (#3t)

Viewers: 4.25 million (#2), A18-49: 0.9/ 4 (#2)

Viewers: 2.04 million (#4), A18-49: 0.7/ 3 (#3t)

CW – The Originals (season finale)
Viewers: 860,000(#5), A18-49: 0.3/ 1 (#5)

———-

10:00 p.m.

ABC – 20/20
Viewers: 5.25 million (#2), A18-49: 1.2/ 5 (#1)

CBS – Blue Bloods ®
Viewers: 5.52 million (#1), A18-49: 0.7/ 3 (#3)

NBC – Dateline
Viewers: 4.05 million (#3), A18-49: 0.9/ 4 (#2)

———

10:30 p.m.

ABC – 20/20
Viewers: 5.33 million (#2), A18-49: 1.2/ 5 (#1)

CBS – Blue Bloods ®
Viewers: 5.65 million (#1), A18-49: 0.7/ 3 (#3)

NBC – Dateline
Viewers: 4.44 million (#3), A18-49: 0.9/ 4 (#2)

Source: Nielsen Media Research

http://programminginsider.com/network/cbs-abc-share-diluted-friday-leadership/

This is great I love watching Lucy 

I believe we will see all 6 seasons + the Lucy Desi Comedy Hour Remastered in beautiful color HD

this is great   I love watching Lucy in color  I don't mind B&W but Color is better,

Lucy is so funny she makes me laugh,

Black & White Lucy Episodes should be for collecting & when we have all Colorized episodes of Lucy 

they should make a big blue-ray release  

just my opinion 

• Like 2

I looked yesterday at the weekly national Nielsens as published in USA Today Wednesday, May 25th for the prior week which presents them in a format I really like and have not found elsewhere: aside from a separate list of the Top 20 shows for the (ratings) week and another list which seems to "rotate" (e.g. Top 10 Cable Shows, Top 10 Sports Shows of the week, etc.), they list in a "grid" shows for each night of the week from 8 - 11 pm and list them not in order of network or alphabetically, but in order (highest to lowest) of all the competing shows in each time slot. 

So, for Friday May 20 ILLSS WON it's time slot, coming in first in the 8 - 9 p.m. time period and 3rd overall highest program of the last Friday night of May 2016 sweeps, bested only by ABC's "Shark Tank" and CBS's very popular Tom Selleck drama at 10 p.m. "Blue Bloods".

Thus....I'm sure we'll be seeing another one of these "color specials" again sooner than later! :peachonthebeach:

Did they say what the rating was for the week, as far as number position - Top 20 maybe?

I looked yesterday at the weekly national Nielsens as published in USA Today Wednesday, May 25th for the prior week which presents them in a format I really like and have not found elsewhere: aside from a separate list of the Top 20 shows for the (ratings) week and another list which seems to "rotate" (e.g. Top 10 Cable Shows, Top 10 Sports Shows of the week, etc.), they list in a "grid" shows for each night of the week from 8 - 11 pm and list them not in order of network or alphabetically, but in order (highest to lowest) of all the competing shows in each time slot. 

So, for Friday May 20 ILLSS WON it's time slot, coming in first in the 8 - 9 p.m. time period and 3rd overall highest program of the last Friday night of May 2016 sweeps, bested only by ABC's "Shark Tank" and CBS's very popular Tom Selleck drama at 10 p.m. "Blue Bloods".

Thus....I'm sure we'll be seeing another one of these "color specials" again sooner than later! :peachonthebeach:

Did they say what the rating was for the week, as far as number position - Top 20 maybe?

Here's the Top 25.  It's not listed there, but I wasn't expecting it to be.  Friday night is a low viewership night.  It doesn't look like anything from Friday night made the Top 25.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/05/24/broadcast-weekly-top-25-may-16-22-2016/

Yes, there are many ways to read the ratings... While the rankings -- Top 10, Top 20, etc. -- are great, that is not the only measure... Winning one's time period is also very important. It is saying, of the people who are watching TV at that hour of the week, a show -- in this case, the I LOVE LUCY SPECIAL -- was seen by more people than any of the competing shows. That counts!  I know CBS is very pleased by last Friday's numbers.  

I think that number is in one of the columns of numbers they provide but honestly, I don't pay much attention to that when I'm looking over how well a show placed.  (It was readily apparent it wasn't in the Top 20, but it certainly placed at least somewhere in or around the middle of the pack of 100+/- shows listed, if not higher!) 

I thought it more important as Tom noted that it was FIRST PLACE (i.e. WON) in both its half hours, which for a crowded Friday night of popular shows (Blue Bloods, Hawaii 5-0, Shark Tank etc.) was not only incredible but ever more so considering we're talking about 60+ year old sitcom that's been running in syndication for nearly that many years!! What OTHER anywhere near that age sitcom or show of any type for that matter could make that amazing claim?? None that I can think of!

It's also worth mentioning that the hour also placed #2 in the always important to advertisers 18-49 y/o demos, which is the OTHER number the networks always take into consideration regarding how well a program did (or didn't) do.

So all that being said...I'm sure we can look forward to another "(S)uper(Star)" special again at Christmas-time, if not sooner!!

:peachonthebeach:

P.S. Gee...could we be like the old Columbia House videos and start coming up with "themes" for what episodes could be paired together and colorized for future specials?? Not sure why (perhaps in part wanting to see the country house and environs in color!) but "Lucy Builds a BBQ" comes to mind as one I'd like to see, paired with another (or two) Connecticut episode, like "Tango" or "Tulips"!

Yes...my mind works in mysterious ways! :blink:

• Like 1

P.S. Gee...could we be like the old Columbia House videos and start coming up with "themes" for what episodes could be paired together and colorized for future specials?? Not sure why (perhaps in part wanting to see the country house and environs in color!) but "Lucy Builds a BBQ" comes to mind as one I'd like to see, paired with another (or two) Connecticut episode, like "Tango" or "Tulips"!

Yes...my mind works in mysterious ways! :blink:

I would like to see the Connecticut house in color, too.  The problem is, there aren't any great I Love Lucy episodes featuring that house.  Even "Tango" is sort of disappointing after the big egg/tango scene.  Frankly, I think it would be better to use "A Star Next Door" (Tallulah Bankhead) or "Lucy Makes Room for Danny" to showcase the house, rather than any of the half-hour I Love Lucys.  Those two LDCH episodes were far better than any of the ILLs featuring the Connecticut house, IMO.

Oh . . . and I would love to see "The Operetta" in color.  Imagine those costumes and scenery in color, and the Queen of the Gypsies!

Oh . . . and I would love to see "The Operetta" in color.  Imagine those costumes and scenery in color, and the Queen of the Gypsies!

Am glad you mentioned "The Operetta."  It is one of the episodes we have been discussing for possible colorization... Am wondering,  though, whether it would be appropriate at Christmastime?  Two schools of thought:

(1) the Christmas shows so far have teamed the Christmas episode, which is essentially a clip-show, with a strong (dare I say "classic") script show in which Lucy is up to some of her zany shenanigans... We've done the grapes, the chocolate factory and the Vitameatavegamin programs so far.  Each illustrate Lucy being Lucy and at her comedic best.

Is "The Operetta" too much of a "special" (as in atypical) episode? It is essentially a show-within-a-show, with only a rather weak first few scenes as the set-up.  There is not a typical Lucy Ricardo plotline...

(2) By pairing the two of these shows, one creates a  very jolly holiday hour...

I think both are valid opinions... Just not sure which would work best in 2016 prime time television...

QUESTION: Did anybody record the most recent Superstar Special, and can take a screenshot for me, please? I'm not looking for a cellphone taken of it, either from a TV screen, and/or a computer screen. I'm looking for a screenshot, either via Print-screen, or program that captures screenshots. If anybody could asssist/help, please let me know. I'd do it myself, but I'm having computer issues. All I want is ONE screenshot/print-screen. Thanks.

Other "I Love Lucy" episodes I'd like to see colorized are...

"The Diet"

"The Audition"

"Pioneer Women"

"The Freezer"

"The Operetta"

"Lucy is Enceinte"

"Lucy and Ethel Buy the Same Dress"

"The Fashion Show"

"California, Here We Come"

"Redecorating the Mertzes' Apartment"

"Lucy Misses the Mertzes"

"Lucy Gets Chummy with the Neighbors"

"Ricky's Contract" (This episode was, according to a CBS press release of August 14, 1954, to be broadcast in color, but ultimately plans to film it in color were abandoned.)

"Pioneer Women" and "The Freezer" would make GREAT selections for future Christmas specials.

And later down the road they could do a Mother's Day Special showcasing the classic pregnancy episodes "Lucy Is Enciente"  and "Lucy Goes to the Hospital".

"The Star Upstairs" and "The Tour" would make a fantastic Superstar Special.

Am glad you mentioned "The Operetta."  It is one of the episodes we have been discussing for possible colorization... Am wondering,  though, whether it would be appropriate at Christmastime?  Two schools of thought:

(1) the Christmas shows so far have teamed the Christmas episode, which is essentially a clip-show, with a strong (dare I say "classic") script show in which Lucy is up to some of her zany shenanigans... We've done the grapes, the chocolate factory and the Vitameatavegamin programs so far.  Each illustrate Lucy being Lucy and at her comedic best.

Is "The Operetta" too much of a "special" (as in atypical) episode? It is essentially a show-within-a-show, with only a rather weak first few scenes as the set-up.  There is not a typical Lucy Ricardo plotline...

(2) By pairing the two of these shows, one creates a  very jolly holiday hour...

I think both are valid opinions... Just not sure which would work best in 2016 prime time television...

I hear what you're saying.  One of the things I like about "The Operetta" is that it's a nice diversion from the usual formula.  The usual formula is wonderful, of course, but so this brief diversion.  So I don't think its being "special" is a bad thing.  And I just find this episode wonderfully funny.  The tunes are all very catchy -- and jolly, as you put it -- and also quite hilarious at the same time.  I even enjoy the opening scene.  The background scenery during the play segment I think would be wonderful in color, and would complement the colors of Christmas nicely.  The way scenery like that would be painted in real life would be with colors that really pop.  So that's what makes me think it would be perfect for colorization.  And the Queen of the Gypsies bit is classic Lucille Ball.  Something else I like about this episode is that each of the principles get a chance to be very funny and shine in this episode.  Vivian Vance's rendition of "Lily of the Valley" cracks me up every time!

As for the Christmas episode, I guess it's to be expected that this be included as it's a Christmas special.  But I think it's one of the weakest episodes of the entire series.  The dialogue in the "new" segments (putting up the tree, telling Little Ricky about Santa Claus, etc.) is pretty substandard for this series and makes me think the script got put together pretty hastily. But I guess there's no alternative for a Christmas special.  At least the flashbacks are nice.

For the next Superstar Special I'd like to see the Dancing Star and Harpo Marx two parter colorized!

Even though it's not a plot everyone knows immediately, The Operetta would be great for the next Christmas show.

Dancing Star paired with Harpo Marx -- I love that idea!  Although I'm not sure how many younger people would know Van Johnson, Harpo and the Marx Brothers are fairly iconic.  They're both wonderful episodes, though.

Oh, and seeing Harpo's curly red (or yellow?) hair in color, and Lucy and Van Johnson's dance segment in color, would be fantastic.  https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/08/af/34/08af34578b23265015815244bb74022e.jpg

• Like 1

I hope TJW reads this and can answer my question.  Why doesn't CBS get smart and colorize Together for Christmas from season one of The Lucy Show and pair it with the color 1965 episode Lucy the Choirmaster from season four of The Lucy Show.  These are both great happy and funny episodes.  CBS can call it The Lucy Christmas Specials.  I Love Lucy but why doesn't CBS acknowledge The Lucy Show.  I think The Lucy Show episodes would get the same ratings during Christmas week.  They can also pair episodes from I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show, and again, they could just be called The Lucy Comedy Hour and maybe do it four times a year; or even better air both shows on Saturday night since the networks don't program Saturday night anymore.  Also, I think CBS should colorize the first season of The Lucy Show.  There are so many classic episodes in season one.  I wish they would come out with a boxed set of The Lucy Show with a bonus disc just like they did with I Love Lucy.  I know it would sell especially if there was a bonus disc.  I must admit that I'm pretty sick of the I Love Lucy Christmas episode from 1956.  It's not a good episode and to keep airing it every year hurts the ratings.  I would love to see Lucy Is A Kangaroo, Lucy & VIv Put In A Shower, Lucy & Viv Put Up A TV Antenna and Lucy Buys A Boat in color.  I don't get it, a lot of people I know are buying The Lucy Show DVDs and agree it's some of the best work of Lucille Ball's career.  I've also introduced people to Lucy's second series (because they didn't know about it) and find it very funny and have bought all six seasons from Amazon.com. I know I Love Lucy can never be topped by any comedy series but CBS doesn't realize that there is also a big audience for The Lucy Show.