Muhammad Ali dies at 74

Brock

A legend indeed.  And as great a fighter as he was, he was just a courageous outside of the ring with his political activism, risking being sent to jail.  He ruffled lots of feathers, but looking back he made complete sense. 

"Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights?"

-- Muhammad Ali in 1966, commenting on his refusal to fight in the Vietnam War

I had great admiration for the man.  In his memory, check out this old tune from his heyday in the '70s.  Who remembers this?

Yes, I guess he was a legend but I admire him more for his political activism than his, let's face it, barbaric sport.   Men hitting each other: I'd rather watch a Three Stooges short. 

He was great at it, but he was no Bob Fitzsimmons!  (As Fred said "that's the trouble with you young guys...")

I contend the real reason boxing was so popular on early TV is that the "set" had self-contained boundaries and was thus easy to shoot. 

Re: Ali.  I remember when he was Cassius Clay!

And yes, I remember the song. 

Yes, I guess he was a legend but I admire him more for his political activism than his, let's face it, barbaric sport.   Men hitting each other: I'd rather watch a Three Stooges short. 

He was great at it, but he was no Bob Fitzsimmons!  (As Fred said "that's the trouble with you young guys...")

I contend the real reason boxing was so popular on early TV is that the "set" had self-contained boundaries and was thus easy to shoot. 

Re: Ali.  I remember when he was Cassius Clay!

And yes, I remember the song. 

I do agree that the sport is barbaric, although I can take it in small doses.  I was starting to think I was the only one who remembered that song!  However, my memory does not go back as far as Cassius Clay.  Do you also remember Bob Fitzsimmons?  :P