The Lucy Show: The Complete Series coming to DVD in November?

Brock

Brock, on 03 Sept 2016 - 07:57 AM, said:

TVShowsonDVD.com reports A Complete Series Set of The Lucy Show might be making its way to DVD this November!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Lucy-The-Complete-Series/22623

Well that's hopeful news! The price will obviously be lower for this than the individual seasons bundled together, so hopefully it'll encourage more people to check this show out. Who knows, maybe there will someday be a Lucy Show tribute magazine! 

Well that's hopeful news! The price will obviously be lower for this than the individual seasons bundled together, so hopefully it'll encourage more people to check this show out. Who knows, maybe there will someday be a Lucy Show tribute magazine! 

I bought the entire series a while back (as a spare).  It was just all the volumes shrink-wrapped together.  

Is this release something different?

ONCE MORE, The Lucy Show don't get no respect.  Me-TV has dropped it again.  They started with season 1 and made it midway through season 3, depriving a new generation of "Wingding","Ironman Carmichael" and Mel Tinker. 

• Like 1

I bought the entire series a while back (as a spare).  It was just all the volumes shrink-wrapped together.  

Is this release something different?

ONCE MORE, The Lucy Show don't get no respect.  Me-TV has dropped it again.  They started with season 1 and made it midway through season 3, depriving a new generation of "Wingding","Ironman Carmichael" and Mel Tinker. 

This should be similar to the recent "I Love Lucy" re-release, which follows the trend of other complete CBS TV boxsets: two jumbo jewel cases encased in a cardboard box. Since other CBS releases of this kind have grouped by theme and not necessarily episode volume (Laverne and Shirley, for instance, had the first five Milwaukee seasons in one case and the last three California seasons in another), it's safe to say the Danfield episodes would be in one box and the LA ones in another. Lucky it's three seasons apiece, so that would make it nice and even.

• Like 1

This should be similar to the recent "I Love Lucy" re-release, which follows the trend of other complete CBS TV boxsets: two jumbo jewel cases encased in a cardboard box. Since other CBS releases of this kind have grouped by theme and not necessarily episode volume (Laverne and Shirley, for instance, had the first five Milwaukee seasons in one case and the last three California seasons in another), it's safe to say the Danfield episodes would be in one box and the LA ones in another. Lucky it's three seasons apiece, so that would make it nice and even.

It is odd to me they way they've packaged the latest incarnation of ILL the complete box set in that they've put the first 5 seasons in a thicker case, leaving the remaining 6th season and the hour-long shows in another, thinner one and those are slipped into a box (I wonder if they've included a nice "handy dandy' booklet with episode descriptions and location info so you know which disc relative to the set they're on; if not, they should have!); IMHO would have been nicer if they'd used either two equally sized cases or 9 slimmer individual ones! Must have been some logic (however slim) behind their decision (do you ever wonder like I do who's involved sitting in a room coming up with this stuff?? :blink: )

As for the TLS version I sure hope they don't release it this way! Between all the shitty public domain versions released and finally getting the great OFFICIAL CBS Paramount versions, I'd hate to see them divided that way as I'd much prefer having them all truly collected in one place, which I think would just confuse the "casual" fan and possibly hurt sales.

What I wouldn't mind would maybe be like what MPI did for HL and that's have a "sample" set of "Best of"s which I don't usually care for but if it would entice the uninitiated into further interest in the whole series, then I'd be all for it! :lucyhehe:

It is odd to me they way they've packaged the latest incarnation of ILL the complete box set in that they've put the first 5 seasons in a thicker case, leaving the remaining 6th season and the hour-long shows in another, thinner one and those are slipped into a box (I wonder if they've included a nice "handy dandy' booklet with episode descriptions and location info so you know which disc relative to the set they're on; if not, they should have!); IMHO would have been nicer if they'd used either two equally sized cases or 9 slimmer individual ones! Must have been some logic (however slim) behind their decision (do you ever wonder like I do who's involved sitting in a room coming up with this stuff?? :blink: )

As for the TLS version I sure hope they don't release it this way! Between all the shitty public domain versions released and finally getting the great OFFICIAL CBS Paramount versions, I'd hate to see them divided that way as I'd much prefer having them all truly collected in one place, which I think would just confuse the "casual" fan and possibly hurt sales.

What I wouldn't mind would maybe be like what MPI did for HL and that's have a "sample" set of "Best of"s which I don't usually care for but if it would entice the uninitiated into further interest in the whole series, then I'd be all for it! :lucyhehe:

Not quite sure what you mean. Yes, they'd be divided up into two cases, but both would be housed inside a single cardboard box and sold together. You'd still be buying the complete series, they'd just be in two cases within the box, ala the I Love Lucy example you mentioned. I don't see how that'd hurt sales.

Not quite sure what you mean. Yes, they'd be divided up into two cases, but both would be housed inside a single cardboard box and sold together. You'd still be buying the complete series, they'd just be in two cases within the box, ala the I Love Lucy example you mentioned. I don't see how that'd hurt sales.

No, you're right I just misread your post!! Sorry about that. My bad. :vanda:

• Like 1

They didn't have to drop it. I don't see why they couldn't replace the Sunday 4:30pm airing of I Love Lucy with The Lucy Show if there intent was to move ILL back to the weekdays. But then again why does The Beverly Hillbillies have TWO timeslots in the mornings?

"Your Lucy collection just isn't complete without this set..."

and that pretty much says it for me!  I'm not gonna carp about the less-than-thrilling cover art as I've seen a lot worse (hello, Sony? Could you EVER get any DVD release right, like at least using a cover photo from the actual season release you're putting out? Really, it's that difficult?? Hmmm...)  And of course yet again her mouth is open but it least this time she's smiling!!

I think we are so lucky and how many other fans of other Leading Ladies can say that once this is released (and what a perfect birthday gift for moi!) we'll have the ENTIRE ouevre of La Ball packaged and complete in just THREE easily accessible packages!! :HALKING:

While I've collected each and every series in all their respective "incarnations" (I STILL have those g-d Columbia House VHS tapes! :blink: ), I find that since I've acquired the box sets of ILL and Here's that I go right to them first as I think they're much easier to access and I can go right to the ep(s) (it's usually a binge, let's be real!) I want rather than fumbling with the individual release case(s).

Yeah, yeah, I know this doesn't "complete" the collection since LWL has yet to see a "legitimate" release.  Well dammit I'm sorry but with only 13 eps for that and it's dismal place in you-know-who's canon, I'm not gonna concern myself with that because I sincerely doubt it will ever, not unlike a GAB documentary or two, see the light of day.  And while disappointing, I'm okay with that... I mean, who among us diehards doesnt have our "set" whether via a source(s) on the internet, as most recently right here via YouTube (and you can download the all and have them on your computer, not sure all here are aware of that) or having a copy of a copy of a copy from some kind fellow fan, so it's not like you don't have access to them somehow or other. :D

I'm still tickled that TLS actually got released by CBS in its entirety in the first place, so I'm really looking forward to this! :peachonthebeach:

I'm utterly surprised they used the Jack-in-a-box, bouncing ball theme but I kind of like it! The only fly in the ointment is the green outfit. Make it pink and we're good. And that's from a COLOR episode to boot, so it's not like they'd have to guess. Maybe pink didn't fit with the desired color scheme. But otherwise it's fun and creative. I like how it incorporates cartoon Lucy and Viv too.

• Like 1

I'm utterly surprised they used the Jack-in-a-box, bouncing ball theme but I kind of like it! The only fly in the ointment is the green outfit. Make it pink and we're good. And that's from a COLOR episode to boot, so it's not like they'd have to guess. Maybe pink didn't fit with the desired color scheme. But otherwise it's fun and creative. I like how it incorporates cartoon Lucy and Viv too.

Well said, Brian, me too.  Lord who knows? I'd still love to know who and how many get to sit in a room and make these decisions!! Am sure Mr. Watson had SOME input into this and would imagine if he had anything to do with the design, that as you say since the main focal point photo is from "Main Street" a later, Hollywood ep in color there's no reason for them not to get the color right unless they were insistent upon the green theme, but still I would think the nice bright pink of the uniform would "pop off the shelf" and be more noticeable than what they chose but... what do we know?? Just diehard lifelong fans, so much for that! :blink:

As for the "jack in the box" theme only us diehards are even going to notice or get the reference, right? It doesn't bother me and I agree I like that they included the iconic cartoon stick figures and I'd go further and say they could add a few more "bubbles" featuring a few more of Viv, Gale (that one they used is NOT flattering at all!) and hey even Mary Jane could have been in ONE of them!!! Just sayin. 

THe main thing is...it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING!!! Ten or so years ago....would we ever have thought we'd have ALL THREE series collectively in just THREE neat and tidy packages?? I am beyond grateful and excited!!! :HALKING:

• Like 2

and that pretty much says it for me!  I'm not gonna carp about the less-than-thrilling cover art as I've seen a lot worse (hello, Sony? Could you EVER get any DVD release right, like at least using a cover photo from the actual season release you're putting out? Really, it's that difficult?? Hmmm...)  And of course yet again her mouth is open but it least this time she's smiling!!

I think we are so lucky and how many other fans of other Leading Ladies can say that once this is released (and what a perfect birthday gift for moi!) we'll have the ENTIRE ouevre of La Ball packaged and complete in just THREE easily accessible packages!! :HALKING:

While I've collected each and every series in all their respective "incarnations" (I STILL have those g-d Columbia House VHS tapes! :blink: ), I find that since I've acquired the box sets of ILL and Here's that I go right to them first as I think they're much easier to access and I can go right to the ep(s) (it's usually a binge, let's be real!) I want rather than fumbling with the individual release case(s).

Yeah, yeah, I know this doesn't "complete" the collection since LWL has yet to see a "legitimate" release.  Well dammit I'm sorry but with only 13 eps for that and it's dismal place in you-know-who's canon, I'm not gonna concern myself with that because I sincerely doubt it will ever, not unlike a GAB documentary or two, see the light of day.  And while disappointing, I'm okay with that... I mean, who among us diehards doesnt have our "set" whether via a source(s) on the internet, as most recently right here via YouTube (and you can download the all and have them on your computer, not sure all here are aware of that) or having a copy of a copy of a copy from some kind fellow fan, so it's not like you don't have access to them somehow or other. :D

I'm still tickled that TLS actually got released by CBS in its entirety in the first place, so I'm really looking forward to this! :peachonthebeach:

Anything is possible. Never say never. I still have faith that Life with Lucy will be released commercially someday whether it be in DVD or is some other format. Let's not forget that Lucille Ball is an all-time great with enduring value and her name is still a hot property.

• Like 2

THe main thing is...it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING!!! Ten or so years ago....would we ever have thought we'd have ALL THREE series collectively in just THREE neat and tidy packages?? I am beyond grateful and excited!!! :HALKING:

It felt quite odd that both I Love Lucy and Here's Lucy were released in complete series form while The Lucy Show wasn't. I guess it was a business decision on CBS/Paramount's part to only offer the series in season-by-season sets for as long as it made them the most money. Now that the retail price for each season has gone substantially down they probably figure it is now best for them to release the series in complete series form.

Anything is possible. Never say never. I still have faith that Life with Lucy will be released commercially someday whether it be in DVD or is some other format. Let's not forget that Lucille Ball is an all-time great with enduring value and her name is still a hot property.

Of course it is, but I'm just being realistic..... I think if it were to have happened, it would have happened by now -- and with so much emphasis often put on a major "anniversary" date say of a show's premiere, when it's being discussed or remembered more than usual, this year of the 30th anniversary (!) (OMG how is that possible??!) would have been a perfect time to bring it out! 

But...another opportunity wasted.  I'd love it to, I just simply don't think the "powers that be" think it'll sell, and if they think that, it's very unlikely it'll happen....sadly.

I'm fully with you, great kudos to CBS for the full season sets of Lucy's shows, but my collection won't be complete until each season of each series is released in an Ultimate blu-ray edition, and yes, I want LWL, too!

For a more weighty set, CBS can add "The Lucie Arnaz Show" as a bonus :)

• Like 2

I'm fully with you, great kudos to CBS for the full season sets of Lucy's shows, but my collection won't be complete until each season of each series is released in an Ultimate blu-ray edition, and yes, I want LWL, too!

For a more weighty set, CBS can add "The Lucie Arnaz Show" as a bonus :)

I'd love that too believe me I just don't think it's likely. Love your idea though of TLAS too. :)

• 1 month later...

91dF3m-mgdL._SX342_.jpg

Just got an email on this release noting that it is now available for preorder on Amazon.com, and at a "suggested retail" (at least what Amazon has posted) of $63.98 (whatever happened to that extra cent??), it's currently discounted by 25% for a savings of $16.11 and lowered cost of $47.87; in other words, you get six seasons of TLS for under Fifty Bucks!! (Which is only approx. $8 per season! Amazeballs!)

Sweet! 

:vanda:

Check out the listing here:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01M0F9Z8P/tvshowsondvdcom

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

91dF3m-mgdL._SX342_.jpg

Just got an email on this release noting that it is now available for preorder on Amazon.com, and at a "suggested retail" (at least what Amazon has posted) of $63.98 (whatever happened to that extra cent??), it's currently discounted by 25% for a savings of $16.11 and lowered cost of $47.87; in other words, you get six seasons of TLS for under Fifty Bucks!! (Which is only approx. $8 per season! Amazeballs!)

Sweet! 

:vanda:

Check out the listing here:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01M0F9Z8P/tvshowsondvdcom

Got mine for only 43 dollars and some odd cents. Not bad! At one time the price was under $41!