Will & Grace - Limited Revival on NBC for 2017/2018 Season

Mot Morenzi

Ooh good to know, I liked his book but wish it had had more anecdotes about the backstage stuff that went on at all the shows he produced but then, being over 90 perhaps he simply doesn't remember a lot of inticrate details....

Netflix is the "outlet" airing the 13 "new" episodes of ODAT (which Lear is an EP on, BTW), and while they kept the "bones" of the original show & concept, the family is now Latina, headed by Justine Machada (who used to be on HBO's "Six Feet Under") as a recently-separated nurse, the great character actor Stephen Toblosky plays her boss, comic actor Todd Grinnell plays Schneider, and best of all multi-award winner veteran 85 y/o Rita Moreno steals the show as Machada's old-fashioned, spunky very Catholic 70 y/o mother who lives with the family. (I haven't seen all 13 yet, but of the handful I have, check out episode 3 for the breadth and range this amazing lady brings to the role... and you may want a Kleenex handy!)

I was on the fence given how I feel about most of these "updates", to the point I passed up the chance to go to a couple of the tapings, and given how the show turned out (pretty well, I think) and I won't have the chance to go to another anytime soon, I'm now sorry I didn't go. :(

I do however, look forward to another "binge" to see the remaining episodes. Like Netflix's other wundaful show "Frankie & Johnny", if the quality is maintained I can see this going for several seasons and god willing, Miss Moreno right along with it! :HALKING:

I watched the first episode of the new ODAAT last night. I can't say it did anything for me personally, though I was pleased to see another multi-camera show come into being.

• Like 1

I watched the first episode of the new ODAAT last night. I can't say it did anything for me personally, though I was pleased to see another multi-camera show come into being.

I get it, I do... but as I mentioned at least check out Episode 3 and marvel at the wonder that is Rita Moreno... for me, she IS the show and the reason to watch...and of the handful (about half) that I've seen, this is certainly her "showcase"! :lucythrill:

I saw Rita on The Chew making a Cuban dish and of course the news broke in and I never found out what she was gonna make!

Rita will always be, for me, from The Electric Company (Hey you guys!) Along with Easy Reader Morgan Freeman

Rita Moreno Makes Picadillo Stew on The Chew
The legendary Rita Moreno ('One Day at a Time') whips up her signature Picadillo Stew on The Chew!
Watch The Chew WEEKDAYS at 1e|12c|p.

Picadillo Stew

Rita Moreno

Servings: 6 - 8

easy|
45 to 60 min
512x288-Q80_fd482fa4e2ea5f251739c21047f8

Picadillo Stew
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion ( finely chopped)
  • 1 medium red bell pepper (finely chopped)
  • 1 medium yellow bell pepper (finely chopped)
  • 1 medium green bell pepper (finely chopped)
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 6 medium cloves garlic (finely chopped)
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
  • 1/2 cup dry red wine
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 1/2 pound ground pork
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (14 ounces)
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic reduction
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup jalapeno stuffed olives (sliced crosswise, about 3 slices per)
  • 2 tablespoons capers (plus 2 tablespoons brine)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper ( to taste)
To Serve:
  • canola oil (to fry)
  • 2-3 large ripe sweet plantains (sliced 1/4-inch thick)
  • 3 cups cooked white rice

Directions

• In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, add oil. Add the onions and bell peppers, cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add the tomato paste, garlic, cumin, oregano, and cilantro. Cook until fragrant and the tomato paste darkens, about 2 minutes.
  • Add the wine and cook until reduced by half. Add the ground beef and ground pork, using a pastry cutter to break up the meat into small pieces, let cook for 5 minutes.
  • Stir in the tomatoes, balsamic reduction, raisins, olives, capers, brine, and cilantro. Cover and reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Season with Kosher salt and pepper to taste.
  • For the Pan-Fried Plantains: In a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil about 1/4 inch up the skillet, heat until until shimmering. Add the plantains and cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt.
  • Serve the Picadillo Stew over rice and fried plantains.
  • Tip: Enjoy this dish with your favorite sangria!

<p><p>

Rita Moreno Makes Picadillo Stew on The Chew

The legendary Rita Moreno ('One Day at a Time') whips up her signature Picadillo Stew on The Chew!

Watch The Chew WEEKDAYS at 1e|12c|p.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/video/most-recent/VDKA3617594

Picadillo Stew

Rita Moreno

Servings: 6 - 8easy|

45 to 60 min

512x288-Q80_fd482fa4e2ea5f251739c21047f8

Picadillo Stew

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion ( finely chopped)
  • 1 medium red bell pepper (finely chopped)
  • 1 medium yellow bell pepper (finely chopped)
  • 1 medium green bell pepper (finely chopped)
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 6 medium cloves garlic (finely chopped)
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
  • 1/2 cup dry red wine
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 1/2 pound ground pork
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (14 ounces)
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic reduction
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup jalapeno stuffed olives (sliced crosswise, about 3 slices per)
  • 2 tablespoons capers (plus 2 tablespoons brine)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper ( to taste)
To Serve:
  • canola oil (to fry)
  • 2-3 large ripe sweet plantains (sliced 1/4-inch thick)
  • 3 cups cooked white rice
Directions
  • In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, add oil. Add the onions and bell peppers, cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add the tomato paste, garlic, cumin, oregano, and cilantro. Cook until fragrant and the tomato paste darkens, about 2 minutes.
  • Add the wine and cook until reduced by half. Add the ground beef and ground pork, using a pastry cutter to break up the meat into small pieces, let cook for 5 minutes.
  • Stir in the tomatoes, balsamic reduction, raisins, olives, capers, brine, and cilantro. Cover and reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Season with Kosher salt and pepper to taste.
  • For the Pan-Fried Plantains: In a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil about 1/4 inch up the skillet, heat until until shimmering. Add the plantains and cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt.
  • Serve the Picadillo Stew over rice and fried plantains.
  • Tip: Enjoy this dish with your favorite sangria!

Thank you Joey!! You are the best :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Whoa. Not only has this new 9th season been expanded from 12 to 16 episodes, the show's been renewed for a 13 episode 10th season!

http://tvline.com/2017/08/03/will-grace-revival-renewed-season-10/

Talk about jumping the gun! You'd think they'd at least wait till it aired once or twice!! I don't think they've even started FILMING yet!!! :blink:

Didn't Feud get a second season before it even premiered? Nowadays they either take renewals one step at a time or they count their bridges before they hatch, or whatever it was that Ricky said.

Yes, and it's a move I don't quite get, given the economics and fickle nature of the viewing public of the day..doesn't make much sense to me! :vanda:

I suppose, considering this isn't exactly a new, untested property, NBC had enough faith to just go for it.

True, but you'd think they'd want to see a couple of episodes completed or something first! They haven't even begun filming yet (probably starting up in a week or two)!!  Makes no sense to me! :HALKING:

True, but you'd think they'd want to see a couple of episodes completed or something first! They haven't even begun filming yet (probably starting up in a week or two)!! Makes no sense to me! :HALKING:

I read that they actually did begin recording last week. Perhaps executives in attendance at readings/rehearsals liked what they saw and gave the go-ahead based on that? They also have to vet each script, so they'll have been aware of what's coming for a while now, I suspect.

I'd also guess a fair amount of reverence went into this decision, given the show's history and past ratings/awards.

I read that they actually did begin recording last week. Perhaps executives in attendance at readings/rehearsals liked what they saw and gave the go-ahead based on that? They also have to vet each script, so they'll have been aware of what's coming for a while now, I suspect.

I'd also guess a fair amount of reverence went into this decision, given the show's history and past ratings/awards.

First table read was last week; looks like the first taping is tomorrow night, Wednesday August 9, at least according to info online for a "win tickets to the first taping contest"; oddly, the two usual sources for audience tickets have had NOTHING as far as this reboot is concerned for the general public, so my assumption is that this will be primarily an "invitation only" exercise (aside from the contest winner(s)), and given all the hoohah surrounding its return, that's not that surprising to me. :vanda:

They also will now be shooting this at Universal rather than their old home "just down the road" at CBS Radford (former home for all ot MTM's sitcoms Hot in Cleveland and many, many more) so I'd imagine they'll be (scant) tickets handed out at the Universal Walk ticket booth and perhaps even Grauman's Chinese Theatre as they usually do, I'm not sure.  (Gee, a sitcom taping at Universal Studios...what was Here's Lucy's soundstage there?? ;) )

Wherever and however tickets are acquired, it's probably the hottest ticket in town this week and I sure wish I'd nabbed one! :HALKING:

19679008_324243618032190_159529985875504

Upon further research (i.e.,Googling!) I've found a "new" (to me) ticket resource that I was previously unaware of, probably because I'm no longer in the area and haven't kept up on what's filming and where:  According to 1iota.com, the first W&G show is indeed Wednesday August 9 at 4:30 (unusually early, but not a bad idea given they notoriously take HOURS to shoot!) with subsequent show dates currently listed for subsequent Wednesdays, August 16, 23 & 30 (and actually, surprisingly showing tickets available)!!

Film nights are --okay, were -- normally on either Tuesdays or Fridays so this "new" schedule of Wednesday nights is interesting, intriguing to me, can't help wondering why but...as they say, whatever works! :blink:

Here's the link to the site for tix:

https://1iota.com/Show/662/Will--Grace

• 1 month later...

Thoughts on the premiere?

I'm glad it appears they got most of the heavy handed political stuff out of the way early. If the last scene is any indication, future episodes will be more like the show of old. 

The cast still works very well together, at least. I'm also hoping they don't go overboard with topical references like they kind of did in this one. A Melania Trump joke and Caitlyn Jenner joke within 5 seconds of each other? Wow. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Wilson said:

The show was not funny at all.

I enjoyed a number of scenes but found the political angle very ham-fisted. Like I said, the final scene suggested future episodes would dial it down...we can but hope.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Wilson said:

There was no need to bring back this show.

Perhaps it wasn't necessary, per se, but at the same time, why not? The cast and crew all wanted to do it. NBC wanted to do it. Why not let them have another go if everyone's interested and no arm-twisting is required? I'll certainly tune in to see where they go with this.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Wilson said:

Superstore, Good Place and Great News all terrible comedies

This is all highly subjective, of course, but I also don't enjoy Good Place. What I've seen of Superstore has it's moments but it doesn't wow me. At this stage, few new shows do anything for me, so bringing back one that was proven to work in its day isn't a bad thing, in my opinion.