The Dick Cavett Show: Lucy, Lucie, & Carol

Your only whut?? :lucywow:

Saw this once at the Paley Center and had a husband who wanted sushi.

I like how Carol and Lucie try to convince Lucy she was really good in The Big Street. This is the first I had a chance to see just Lucie's part. The nuns, hilarious.

Lucy in this is just lovely and apparently lots of stories she never told Lucie. The poor thing looks devisated during the Rio Rita story.

• 4 weeks later...

I like their interplay and you can see why Lucy and Carol were close unlike stories heard over again. Lucie is coming on her own here somewhat shy but outspoken. Lucy is hilarious with her wit.

Is it just me or did anyone else notice Lucie's voice during her interview segment?  She doesn't sound like she normally does.  There's a nasal quality to her voice, and sometimes she sounds like a New Yorker.  Maybe she was a bit congested at the time of this show.

What's up with that? She's a California girl? It's strange because she doesn't talk that way when she's performing. At least not that I've noticed.

I always thought that too. Must have been that year living in NYC, ha! Yeah, I usually only notice it in the acting, not too much in interviews.

It seems to me [i'm probably misinformed] but, didn't Lucie and Larry raise their three, and his two, in NY area?????  Thanks for replies.... :D

Yes, but she's only 19 in this interview.  This is many years before that.  The only time I'm aware of her living in NY prior to this interviews is when her mother was in Wildcat.  And she came back to California after that still sounding like a Californian.

Yes, but she's only 19 in this interview.  This is many years before that.  The only time I'm aware of her living in NY prior to this interviews is when her mother was in Wildcat.  And she came back to California after that still sounding like a Californian.

I think she got her early comic delivery from Vanda Barra, who sounds like a real New Yorker.

In episode THREE of Here's Lucy "Lucy, the Process Server", when Lucy wants to take the reluctant kids to the beach for the day, Kim says to Craig "And no matter how much it hurts us, we're going to enjoy ourselves" delivered with the same intonation as "a bowl of HAWT WAHTAH??" by Vanda in "Lucy and Robert Goulet". 

• Like 1

I think she got her early comic delivery from Vanda Barra, who sounds like a real New Yorker.

In episode THREE of Here's Lucy "Lucy, the Process Server", when Lucy wants to take the reluctant kids to the beach for the day, Kim says to Craig "And no matter how much it hurts us, we're going to enjoy ourselves" delivered with the same intonation as "a bowl of HAWT WAHTAH??" by Vanda in "Lucy and Robert Goulet". 

Ah, so it's the Vanda effect.  New York accents are supposed to be good for comedy, but this is The Dick Cavett Show!

• Like 1

I'd never seen the entire episode of this Cavett Show; I loved it, Harry; thanks SO MUCH for sharing. 

I'm particularly interested in going back, when time allows, and watch ALL the other shows captured (after the C​avett credits) the collage of other things listed/shown Lucille appeared in.   JK :fabrary: