May 19: Colorized The Dancing Star/Harpo Marx on CBS!

HarryCarter

Does anyone know if Lucy Does a TV Commercial is out on DVD?

I would have sworn it was but I'm loathe to find anything online about it, despite poking around my usual "go to" sites like TVShowsOnDVD.com and Amazon.  Sorry!

(This after misremembering that it was a bonus feature on the Season 2 blu ray release which, after I checked, is actually "Job Switching."  I would have SWORN I have a copy of it somehow or other* but given my "collection" is in storage, there's no simple way for me to check.) :blink:

*I think I made a copy directly from the broadcast airing having taped it but again, that's from memory, sketchy at best at the moment and even if I did, I couldn't get my hands on it! :lucyeww:

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Lucy Does a TV Commercial is out on DVD?

No, that episode and Lucy Gets in Pictures are the two that haven't been released on DVD as of yet (along with the Christmas episode featuring the colorized flashbacks). Obviously they'll get released eventually, we'll just have to see when and how.

• Like 1

I would have sworn it was but I'm loathe to find anything online about it, despite poking around my usual "go to" sites like TVShowsOnDVD.com and Amazon.  Sorry!

(This after misremembering that it was a bonus feature on the Season 2 blu ray release which, after I checked, is actually "Job Switching."  I would have SWORN I have a copy of it somehow or other* but given my "collection" is in storage, there's no simple way for me to check.) :blink:

*I think I made a copy directly from the broadcast airing having taped it but again, that's from memory, sketchy at best at the moment and even if I did, I couldn't get my hands on it! :lucyeww:

"Oh nuts!" I was hoping it would be. I want to see that bedroom in living color.  :lucyblah:

• Like 1

No, that episode and Lucy Gets in Pictures are the two that haven't been released on DVD as of yet (along with the Christmas episode featuring the colorized flashbacks). Obviously they'll get released eventually, we'll just have to see when and how.

So ...what episode count are we up to anyway?? After tonight's broadcast, I'm hoping they'll (CBS) think/consider they have enough to compile them into a new release, hopefully (preferably) on Blu-ray too, even if its MOD. :blink:

The Harpo episode felt edited, whereas Van didn't. I'd rather Harpo be trimmed down than the other. 

The true irony of the night was when popup ads for the "James Corden Carpool Karaoke Special" and the new Candy Crush game show starring Mario Lopez appeared during the special. That something so empty-headed, vapid, and worthless could intrude on the greatest TV show of all time made me chuckle.

• Like 3

The Harpo episode felt edited, whereas Van didn't. I'd rather Harpo be trimmed down than the other. 

The true irony of the night was when popup ads for the "James Corden Carpool Karaoke Special" and the new Candy Crush game show starring Mario Lopez appeared during the special. That something so empty-headed, vapid, and worthless could intrude on the greatest TV show of all time made me chuckle.

At least we'll get the original broadcast shows on the "Superstar Special #3" DVD.

I wasn't able to watch the broadcast but I know what kinds of pop-ups they air nowadays. You're absolutely right - the contrast between then and now is striking and, may I say, disheartening. The fact that you can't be a celebrity nowadays unless you do something dumb with a late-night host for everyone to tweet about...sigh.

• Like 1

And they took up half the screen. I thought I'm watching the greatest show ever made and here is an ad for a game show based off something you play while your stuck in the waiting room at the doctor's office or on the toilet covering half my show.

• Like 3

Maybe it's because I know these episodes so well that I knew exactly where the cuts were, but didn't it seem like more was edited out than past episodes?

They're already given more time with one rather abbreviated opening for 2 shows and only one shared closing credit crawl.

I was so engrossed in the show that I didn't even notice the bottom-of-screen ads, a horribly annoying and insulting practice.  I mean CBS already owns the shows so the budget for these has to be nil in comparison to an hour of NCSI-SVU (or whatever the shows are called).  I don't think additional advertising is necessary.  

Cut I missed the most: after Ethel's conversation with Lucy/Fred, Fred walks in and....well , you know the rest. 

I'm not faulting the editors because they were directed to get the show down to so-many minutes.  When they release these on DVD, do they include the whole show?

Both of these were great Ethel episodes and I'm forever grateful they sprung for Doris Singleton whose contribution to the overall quality can't be understated.  (when they might have gone for someone cheaper). 

• Like 2

Maybe it's because I know these episodes so well that I knew exactly where the cuts were, but didn't it seem like more was edited out than past episodes?

They're already given more time with one rather abbreviated opening for 2 shows and only one shared closing credit crawl.

I was so engrossed in the show that I didn't even notice the bottom-of-screen ads, a horribly annoying and insulting practice.  I mean CBS already owns the shows so the budget for these has to be nil in comparison to an hour of NCSI-SVU (or whatever the shows are called).  I don't think additional advertising is necessary.  

Cut I missed the most: after Ethel's conversation with Lucy/Fred, Fred walks in and....well , you know the rest. 

I'm not faulting the editors because they were directed to get the show down to so-many minutes.  When they release these on DVD, do they include the whole show?

Both of these were great Ethel episodes and I'm forever grateful they sprung for Doris Singleton whose contribution to the overall quality can't be understated.  (when they might have gone for someone cheaper).

So far, both previous Superstar DVDs included the 45 minute broadcast plus the unedited episodes, both in color and black and white. So if the #3 release continues in that vein, it will include the full-length versions.

It looks like the special didn't win the night or its time slot. Lucy had 3.6 million viewers but its 9PM competitor Dateline NBC won the night with 5.14.

Well hopefully the bottom line economics, the advertising income vs. the cost of production, is far enough into the plus column that it will warrant more.  This has been my favorite special so far. 

Not that it would matter that much, but isn't this the first time it's aired at 9 instead of 8?

ILLSS and her "competition" according to tvbythenumbers.com:

Time  / Show /Adults 18-49 Rating/Share Viewers (millions)

9 p.m.

Dateline (NBC) (9-11 p.m.)                                       0.9/4 5.14  

The New I Love Lucy Superstar Special (CBS)    0.5/2 3.60

Reign (The CW)                                                        0.3/1 1.07

The Toy Box (ABC) (8-10 p.m.) – F                          0.6/3 2.43

Movie: Maid in Manhattan (FOX) (8-10 p.m.)           0.5/2 1.93

Given it just aired last night, there's still the possibility of a little "uptick" in ratings once the Live +7 ratings are factored in but then... we won't know that for a week! :blink:

Time Shifted Viewing: Program ratings for national sources are produced in three streams of data – Live, Live +Same-Day and Live +7 Day. Time-shifted figures account for incremental viewing that takes place with DVRs. Live+SD includes viewing during the same broadcast day as the original telecast, with a cut-off of 3 a.m. local time when meters transmit daily viewing to Nielsen for processing. Live +7 ratings include  viewing that takes place during the 7 days following a telecast.

My mother taped a marathon of the Hollywood episodes that TNT aired back in 1990 or so. She missed a few in between, but for the most part caught every installment between Lucy Learns to Drive and Ricky Needs an Agent. The Dancing Star was one she missed, but she did get Harpo Marx. As I remember, that particular broadcast cut the scene with Lucy and Ethel prior to Carolyn's arrival, the part where Lucy sticks her head in to check on them, plus Lucy disguised as Jimmy Durante. The harp solo was left intact.

I'll be curious to compare that edit to this new one.

• Like 1