May 19: Colorized The Dancing Star/Harpo Marx on CBS!

HarryCarter

My mother taped a marathon of the Hollywood episodes that TNT aired back in 1990 or so. She missed a few in between, but for the most part caught every installment between Lucy Learns to Drive and Ricky Needs an Agent. The Dancing Star was one she missed, but she did get Harpo Marx. As I remember, that particular broadcast cut the scene with Lucy and Ethel prior to Carolyn's arrival, the part where Lucy sticks her head in to check on them, plus Lucy disguised as Jimmy Durante. The harp solo was left intact.

I'll be curious to compare that edit to this new one.

This, from what I can recall, is the first time I've seen the harp scene edited. :blink:

Anyone else (still) have those VHS tape collections that came out eons ago?? Two for the Hollywood eps and one for the European trip?? I still do... hard to give up stuff like that even though with the DVDs/two blu-rays which is my preferred way to watch them now... but as I recall they were edited only in that they flowed continuously from one episode to the next, with opening credits only on the first one and closing credits only on the last one... always meant to transfer these to DVD but now it seems a little pointless.... plus, I wouldn't be surprised that eventually the entire series will be colorized ...and re-released yet again (CBS$$$$!)...and hopefully, on Blu-ray!! 

Now if only they'd get her hair right!! :HALKING:

This, from what I can recall, is the first time I've seen the harp scene edited. :blink:

Anyone else (still) have those VHS tape collections that came out eons ago?? Two for the Hollywood eps and one for the European trip?? I still do... hard to give up stuff like that even though with the DVDs/two blu-rays which is my preferred way to watch them now... but as I recall they were edited only in that they flowed continuously from one episode to the next, with opening credits only on the first one and closing credits only on the last one... always meant to transfer these to DVD but now it seems a little pointless.... plus, I wouldn't be surprised that eventually the entire series will be colorized ...and re-released yet again (CBS$$$$!)...and hopefully, on Blu-ray!! 

Now if only they'd get her hair right!! :HALKING:

Must've been the Columbia House versions that presented them in a continuous flow. The CBS/FOX Video I Love Lucy Collection had two episodes per tape, each presented individually.

Must've been the Columbia House versions that presented them in a continuous flow. The CBS/FOX Video I Love Lucy Collection had two episodes per tape, each presented individually.

Different collection.  These were not Columbia House releases, rather CBS Fox (then incarnation, it's now CBS Paramount HV) VHS releases in 2 volumes of 3 VHS tapes apiece with the Hollywood themed episodes pretty much split in half over the two volumes.

They first came out early 90s I believe, long after the Columbia House tapes were underway.

There was a subsequent, single 3-pack release for the European -based episodes. 

53ead1fa110df_266718b.jpg510DVV853TL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Lucys-Zany-Road-Trip/dp/6302359635

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Lucys-Zany-Road-Trip/dp/6302359643

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Lucy-Adventures-Europe-VHS/dp/6303180361/

• Like 1

Different collection.  These were not Columbia House releases, rather CBS Fox (then incarnation, it's now CBS Paramount HV) VHS releases in 2 volumes of 3 VHS tapes apiece with the Hollywood themed episodes pretty much split in half over the two volumes.

They first came out early 90s I believe, long after the Columbia House tapes were underway.

53ead1fa110df_266718b.jpg

This artwork brings back so many happy childhood memories -- my first exposure to the Hollywood episodes (outside of LA at Last and Harpo) and the frantic anticipation until I got Part 2.

• Like 2

53ead1fa110df_266718b.jpg510DVV853TL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Lucys-Zany-Road-Trip/dp/6302359635

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Lucys-Zany-Road-Trip/dp/6302359643

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Lucy-Adventures-Europe-VHS/dp/6303180361/

Oooooooooohh yes, I knew of these but never owned them. Thanks for clarifying.

I still have a soft spot for VHS, I may try to track these down someday.

Someone has colorized brief snippets of some 50s and 60s series and posted them to YouTube. I think they look quite good.

I Love Lucy:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IbL-VUZmL30

The Lucy Show:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eyLAaD7Mp9o

Yeah! Don't know this guy's story but I think he did a great job -- certainly got her hair a lot more accurate, realistic than our "Superstar" specials renderings (IMHO) -- no offense to any and all involved! :vanda:

It looks like the special didn't win the night or its time slot. Lucy had 3.6 million viewers but its 9PM competitor Dateline NBC won the night with 5.14.

Oh HONESTLY!  Losing the time slot to that smarmy "Dateline ", NBC's embarrassingly low-class "Newsmagazine".  Tawdry tales of trashy people murdering one another.  Two hours and it's obvious within the first 20 minutes, the EX-HUSBAND DID IT!!

Still, isn't 3.5 million viewers pretty good in this day&age?

Still, isn't 3.5 million viewers pretty good in this day&age?

Considering everything, absolutely! Remember too that a key demo they look at is 18-49 ratings, which was a 0.5 to Dateline's 0.9, which is a variance of less than half a million people. 

While Dateline may have won the timeslot, I think the fact a 60-plus year old show that millions of people have seen a thousand times in as many years, fans know inside and out and seen even more, and that it aired on perhaps not the "best fit" night & time on the CBS schedule for the program and its intended audience (I would have put it on Sunday or Monday night at 8, if it were up to me!), given all factors I think it did pretty well and could certainly have done much worse.

Remember too the final rating(s) may be a little higher once the Live +7 numbers are factored in. :HALKING:

I must admit I watch Dateline pretty frequently. It's one of those shows that's always on when I get home from stuff on the weekend and I just turn the TV on for something to watch while I putter around and do whatever.

Other shows that are always on when I get home: Shark Tank, 20/20 (much better newsmagazine than DL), SNL.

Considering everything, absolutely! Remember too that a key demo they look at is 18-49 ratings, which was a 0.5 to Dateline's 0.9, which is a variance of less than half a million people. 

While Dateline may have won the timeslot, I think the fact a 60-plus year old show that millions of people have seen a thousand times in as many years, fans know inside and out and seen even more, and that it aired on perhaps not the "best fit" night & time on the CBS schedule for the program and its intended audience (I would have put it on Sunday or Monday night at 8, if it were up to me!), given all factors I think it did pretty well and could certainly have done much worse.

Remember too the final rating(s) may be a little higher once the Live +7 numbers are factored in. :HALKING:

When you see those Live +7 ratings, let us know the outcome.

If they would advertise products other than "virtually pain free catheters", Alex Trebek's Colonial Penn's $5/mo. life insurance ("your rates will never increase"--something's fishy here) , mail-order diapers so we can "avoid the embarrassment of shopping in the bladder control aisle"  (there IS such an AISLE???)  and Alex Trebek AGAIN or black-haired Tom Selleck trying to talk us into reverse mortgages (sounds fishy #2)  during the shows those over 49 watch, maybe we would BUY SOMETHING!

And not that I'm in need of one, but sticking the word "virtually" in front of 'pain-free' wouldn't give me much confidence in this  aspect of the product. 

Just because Alex seems so smart on Jeopardy, therefore reliable and trustworthy, remember he's got the answers right in front of him!  And he sometimes mocks a contestant's wrong answer as if it's common knowledge.  

• Like 2

It's one of those shows that's always on when I get home from stuff on the weekend and I just turn the TV on for something to watch while I putter around and do whatever.

For some reason, I'm really tickled you "putter around". That's not a phrase you hear much from younger generations. I'm even stodgier - I describe myself as "futzing around" (Joey, no jokes, okay!?).

• Like 1

If they would advertise products other than "virtually pain free catheters", Alex Trebek's Colonial Penn's $5/mo. life insurance ("your rates will never increase"--something's fishy here) , mail-order diapers so we can "avoid the embarrassment of shopping in the bladder control aisle"  (there IS such an AISLE???)  and Alex Trebek AGAIN or black-haired Tom Selleck trying to talk us into reverse mortgages (sounds fishy #2)  during the shows those over 49 watch, maybe we would BUY SOMETHING!

And not that I'm in need of one, but sticking the word "virtually" in front of 'pain-free' wouldn't give me much confidence in this  aspect of the product. 

Just because Alex seems so smart on Jeopardy, therefore reliable and trustworthy, remember he's got the answers right in front of him!  And he sometimes mocks a contestant's wrong answer as if it's common knowledge.

My father's also disgusted at the commercials aired during shows aimed at his "age bracket." I swear advertisers think that once you reach 50, you can't do anything yourself anymore. He says if he sees one more pitch for the Scooter Store...

• Like 1

My father's also disgusted at the commercials aired during shows aimed at his "age bracket." I swear advertisers think that once you reach 50, you can't do anything yourself anymore. He says if he sees one more pitch for the Scooter Store...

Over 50???  Okay, I'm heading to the gym in about an hour.  It's leg night, which means I'll be doing my usual 580-pound leg press.  And tomorrow my 11 mph run with chest and arm workout.  Take that, advertisers.  Let's see what you've got.  You know where I'd like you to shove those pills and diapers.  Not bragging in any way, just hate these demos that assume and generalize.  And I have friends in my age group who will be doing something similar this evening.

• Like 3

Over 50???  Okay, I'm heading to the gym in about an hour.  It's leg night, which means I'll be doing my usual 580-pound leg press.  And tomorrow my 11 mph run with chest and arm workout.  Take that, advertisers.  Let's see what you've got.  You know where I'd like you to shove those pills and diapers.  Not bragging in any way, just hate these demos that assume and generalize.  And I have friends in my age group who will be doing something similar this evening.

I agree. There's a terrible tendency for advertisers to pigeonhole everyone into categories based on age, completely disregarding individual circumstances. I know a lot of people don't like it and I can't blame them.

At least the diapers wouldn't have far to go. 

:HALKING:

Our current POTUS a la Orange could always use them! Waste not, want not and all that sort of "rot"! :blink:

Surely he could.  He's bound to be #ting in his pants a lot lately given all the trouble the orange fraud is in.

I agree. There's a terrible tendency for advertisers to pigeonhole everyone into categories based on age, completely disregarding individual circumstances. I know a lot of people don't like it and I can't blame them.

Well they're only hurting themselves, I suppose, although I don't know.  They have data that I don't have.  I can only speak for myself (and us).  I know a lot of what I watch fits into that older demo.  But the kinds of products I would be inclined to buy are not advertised during some of the shows I'm watching, so people selling the products I would possibly buy are not reaching me. 

• Like 2

:HALKING:

Surely he could. He's bound to be #ting in his pants a lot lately given all the trouble the orange fraud is

Well they're only hurting themselves, I suppose, although I don't know. They have data that I don't have. I can only speak for myself (and us). I know a lot of what I watch fits into that older demo. But the kinds of products I would be inclined to buy are not advertised during some of the shows I'm watching, so people selling the products I would possibly buy are not reaching me.

That's why I tend not to pay much attention to advertising in general. I haven't really watched broadcast tv for a few years, but most of the stuff advertised never spoke to me. All the gimmicks and glam never fooled me for a second (I mainly remember an abundance of phone plan commercials).

• Like 1

Alrighty, then:

While two of ILL's timeslot competitors adjusted down slightly in the all-important-to-advertisers key 18-49 demos; i.e., Fox's airing of the movie "Maid In Manhattan" now rated as 0.4/2 and Reign (The CW) now 0.2/1, ILL remains at 0.5/2 in 18-49 and 3.59 million in total viewers, which means it came in 2nd in its timeslot in total viewers (in millions) and 3rd in 18-49 demo.

I don't think that's too shabby for a 60+ year-old sitcom on a Friday night @ 9... although I think it would have done better at 8! :HALKING:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/friday-final-ratings-may-19-2017/