Paula Stewart's book now available!

Brock

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Taylor said:

I read it and really liked it, probably the best "Lucy friend" book I've ever read.  One thing kinda surprised me, Gary was a bigger a**hole and tool than originally thought.  And she's no fan of Lee Tannen.  :lucyeww:

Well kind of figured that on Lee after how glowing she came off in his book. Now I gotta read these Gary stories. Give she set them up I thought she was in his camp.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Well kind of figured that on Lee after how glowing she came off in his book. Now I gotta read these Gary stories. Give she set them up I thought she was in his camp.

I think she regretted setting them up after she really got to know him.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote this review for my Instagram.

NEW BOOK REVIEW: Just released is Lucy Loved Me: A Memoir by Paula Stewart. Paula first met Lucy while playing her kid sister in Wildcat in 1960. The book covers 30 years of a very special friendship between these 2 ladies. The book begins in 1960 with some wonderful stories about the rehearsal and run of Wildcat, how Paula introduced Gary to Lucy and on to Paula serving as Maid of Honor at their wedding. The book then progresses through Paula talking about her life and career and throughout there are many stories of Lucy interjected. Some of the highlights include Paula decorating Lucy’s NYC apartment, Lucy’s disastrous Palm Springs house remodel, shopping with Lucy, vacationing in Snowmass Colorado, and Lucy’s thoughts about getting old. Given that Paula introduced Lucy and Gary I thought she would be a fan of him. She was not, so if you are not a Gary fan you are going to LOVE some of the stories about him. There is a great one where Paula confronts him in the late 80s that will shock you. There are also a few other Gary revelations both funny and shocking. If you’ve read Lee Tannen’s book I Loved Lucy this book is a good alternative to that as Paula was no fan of Lee and you get the other side of a few stories that were told in his book. I don’t want to spoil too much but I’ll be posting a passage or 2 that I liked. Lucy Loved Me can be found on Amazon both in hardcover and paperback. It’s a fun read that I zipped through in a week due to how great some of the stories were and wanting more. 

• Like 3

Thanks so much for posting that video. Really interesting that Paula is asked to share what Lucy said to her privately about Desi, but Paula didn’t want to reveal anything. For those who have read her book, is Paula a bit more forthcoming about this? Did Paula describe any interactions she had with Desi, and did she share any insights about Lucy’s relationship with Desi, and Desi’s relationship with Gary, post-divorce? 

1 hour ago, JessiLu said:

Thanks so much for posting that video. Really interesting that Paula is asked to share what Lucy said to her privately about Desi, but Paula didn’t want to reveal anything. For those who have read her book, is Paula a bit more forthcoming about this? Did Paula describe any interactions she had with Desi, and did she share any insights about Lucy’s relationship with Desi, and Desi’s relationship with Gary, post-divorce? 

There is one Desi interaction Paula had with Desi that didn't go well. But given that her overall tone on him was positive, she knew Lucy still loved him. Paula talks about being obsessed with a man and discussing this with Lucy, and Lucy knew what that was like because she says she was obsessed with Desi. Nothing on any Gary Desi interactions. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Luvsbway said:

There is one Desi interaction Paula had with Desi that didn't go well. 

Was this the interaction where Desi showed up one night at house on Roxbury drunk, having forgotten he didn’t live there anymore? (Can’t remember if that’s was Paula or another Lucy friend.)

3 minutes ago, JessiLu said:

Was this the interaction where Desi showed up one night at house on Roxbury drunk, having forgotten he didn’t live there anymore? (Can’t remember if that’s was Paula or another Lucy friend.)

That was Sheila McRae. The Paula story was in NYC during Wildcat.

3 minutes ago, JessiLu said:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm halfway through, with the first three chapters down. Here are a few initial thoughts:

*Spoiler alert*

-I love hearing about Lucy as a girlfriend, rather than a business associate or a backgammon buddy. We see the softer side of Lucy in this regard, which is refreshing. 

-Paula's encounter with Desi is indeed a disappointing one - definitely a #MeToo moment and probably the worst story I've heard about Desi. I truly believe that Desi was so drunk that he didn't know what he was doing. (Not that that is an appropriate excuse.) He once said he was on the road to being "morally and physically destroyed" and this is perfect example of that. It's good that he was able to pull himself together to some degree, especially after he gave up his share of Desilu and married Edie. But stories during this low point in his life definitely make you cringe. 

-The "kiss-and-tell' story about Gary also made me cringe. I thought Gary was better than that. 

-I've always wondered about the true nature of Lucy's relationship with Judy Garland -- especially since their kids would eventually date. Were they just casual acquaintances who saw each other around the studio commissary in the 40s, or actual friends? So it was cool to read about the luncheon with Judy.

More later! 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Irene Kampen Tripp said:

Hey Miss (I always follow through) Luvsbway... Aren't you gonna post a passage or 2 that you loved from this book???  :)

I'm just dying to read your passages and learn of your opinions on the topics.

Oh you gotta find me over on Instagram. I've posted a bunch there. Same name as here.