2018 Kennedy Center Honors

HarryCarter

The 2018 Kennedy Center Honors has been announced. They are honoring the team behind "Hamilton." The Kennedy Center has proven they are not what they once were. 

Good for Cher, though. 

Washington’s “Summer of ‘Hamilton” will stretch into December, when the Kennedy Center Honors salute the groundbreaking musical and its four creators, marking the first time a work of art has been spotlighted at the annual celebration of the performing arts.

Hamilton” and its creative team — composer-lyricist Lin-Manuel Miranda, director Thomas Kail, music director Alex Lacamoire, and choreographer Andy Blankenbuehler— will receive a special honor Dec. 2 in a ceremony that also salutes the lifetime achievements of composer Philip Glass, singer-actresses Cher and Reba McEntire, and jazz musician Wayne Shorter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/in-kennedy-center-honors-first-hamilton-to-be-awarded-prestigious-arts-prize/2018/07/24/3c3d33b0-8f7e-11e8-b769-e3fff17f0689_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3d497b405542

13 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

I will never forgive them for not yet honoring Lin-Manuel Miranda's Mary Poppins Returns co-star Dick Van Dyke. 

No disrespect to Mr. Miranda, but not honouring Dick Van Dyke before him is wrong on so many levels. 

Miranda is very much flavour of the minute. Anything he's involved with will get attention and, therefore, attract viewers. 

How long before the Kardashians get honoured?

• Like 1

This belongs in the "WTF" Thread! I thought I was the only person who was peeved about the Hamilton thing. The damn show is still running. I have a friend who saw it in Chicago a week ago. If they were going to do this, save it for when the cast and creators are a little bit older- say, 92 or so...

I bet the Cher segment will be fun to watch. Bob Mackie is going to be working overtime. Reba is the same age as my dad, so it seems weird that she's in a "Lifetime Achievement" stage of her career. She's certainly earned it, though. And at least she's older than 40 (*ahem* Lin Manuel Miranda). Reba's show always had a Lucy-ish vibe to it and I've always been a fan of her music and her standards as a performer.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

No disrespect to Mr. Miranda, but not honouring Dick Van Dyke before him is wrong on so many levels. 

Miranda is very much flavour of the minute. Anything he's involved with will get attention and, therefore, attract viewers. 

Are you telling me neither DICK VAN DYKE nor LIZA has not received one?  Who are other glaring non-honored ones?  

And your question:  "How long before the Kardashians get honoured?" is not as far-fetched as you think.   

It may be time to retire these Kennedy Honors.  It'll eventually get down to Billy Mumy and the kids from the Brady Bunch.

Well, Kylie Jenner made it onto the Forbes cover as a "self-made" billionaire, as if her Mother's decades-old scorched-earth thirst for publicity and half-sister's sex tape didn't have anything to do with it. 

Besides Dick Vand Dyke and Liza Minnelli, Carol Channing is the big name that gets brought up, but I think at this rate, if it hasn't happened yet, it never will. Betty White and Carl Reiner, both 96 and fairly spry, seem like ideal choices. Mary Tyler Moore never got honored! I have always wanted Disney composer Richard Sherman to be a recipient. I've also always wanted Garrison Keillor, but I think the ship's really sailed on that one. 

• Like 1

I think only my grandma would have a legitimate issue with Jane Fonda. Woody I think is too much "on the bubble". I'll still gladly enjoy his ever-growing body of work, but I totally get why people aren't okay with him. Speaking of--- Mia Farrow would be a good choice. She's had a long career that's been associated with many of the great luminaries of American culture and her humanitarian work is monumental- plus, she's never really been honored/nominated for any awards surrounding the arts. (Golden Globes do not count)