The Carol Burnett Appreciation Thread

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2017 at 7:25 PM, Freddie2 said:

The 50th anniversary special was pretty great! I noticed that Carol called Jim Carrey “kid”. I wonder where she got that from...

The closing where everyone sang the theme song and Carol cried was very emotional, even if they had to conspicuously edit around Kevin Spacey.

The editing was phenomonal! If you didn't know Spacey was originally in it, you'd never know it by watching it!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MeTV already does a half-hour syndicated version of TCBS. I hope Antenna gets ahold of it, because most of the shows I watch on there are in “good shape” in comparison to the prints for other syndicated series on other networks. It seems like every time I try to watch something on MeTV, they’ve literally sped the episode up to make it fit into a certain runtime. That’s even worse than badly editing something to make it syndication-length. I hope that since TCBS has never been syndicated in this “form” they will just air the “master tapes” or whatever they’re called. I think that’s the situation with Murphy Brown’s current run on Antenna and it looks excellent, as opposed to, say, Cozi-TV’s airings of Murder, She Wrote that look like they’re being broadcast by way of kinescope. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying the book "CB Show Companion" for its thoughtful insights and opinions of different episodes.  Neither this author nor Fidelman think much of Lucy's "Rock Sisters" sketch and song.  I like it.  Author notes of Lucy's November 1968 appearance in the finale: "Wearing a stunning white outfit, Lucy shows off strong dance moves".  True.  I didn't realize Carol's show fell so far in the ratings the last 2 seasons: other than her third season at #13, the show stayed pretty consistent, ranking somewhere in the 20s, but her 10th (76-77) was  #44, then #64 in her last (may have gone out in the 'bottom 10' of the ratings).   Popular tastes were changing:  the Emmy-sweeper of 76-77 "Mary Tyler Moore" had dropped to #35 in its last season.  (Here's Lucy's swan song season at #29 doesn't look so bad in comparison) MTM made the top 10 in only 3 of her 7 seasons. 

I attended tapings of only 2 CB's: one that aired on Oct 11, 1972 with Eydie Gorme and Jack Gilford and another that aired Nov. 15, 1972 with John Davidson and Ruth Buzzi.  I don't know if either of these are featured in the big set of CB shows.  (They're hard to find--not in any particular order). 

Looking at the descriptions jogged my memory a bit but there's a lot I don't recall.   I do remember Carol and Ruth entering the audience in character.  I was sitting on the aisle and am on-camera as they walk past me, my one and only exposure on network television. (Alas "That face! I want to make him a STAR" did not occur).  I remember the big pill dropping at the end of "The Playwright" sketch and the musical finale with Eydie.  Carol and her dancers were stage left and sing a part of a song, then it cuts to Eydie and her dancers stage right.  While Carol's group is performing, Eydie's group, knowing they're off-camera, are standing casually watching until they jockey into position for their turn.  (I may have posted this before in this thread but am too lazy to check).   Security was much more lax back then so after the show I wandered backstage and talked to a very soft-spoken Jack Gilford before Eydie and Carol came out and discussed where everyone would meet for dinner.  Since it was just the 4 of us standing there, had I had more nerve I might have assumed dinner meant all of us and showed up at the restaurant. (Shades of "Lucy and Johnny Carson"). 

I've said it before but it's amazing they turned out an hour-long show with different set-ups and costume changes in 90 MINUTES!  And did it twice: once at 4:30 to 6:00 and again at 6:30 to 8:00.  Of all the shows I saw live, CB was the best and most memorable (except for the three HLs I saw).  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

I remember that opening with Carol and Ruth Buzzi. I didn't realize you were in the audience, Neil! I just searched YouTube for it and couldn't find it. 

I did not get a mention in the "TV Guide Close Up" blurb on the episode.   We, the audience, didn't know what was happening.  The lights went up on the audience and then they strolled right by me (Carol and Ruth in character coming to a "Carol Burnett Show" taping).   As Carol said "Here comes the wicked witch of the West", there was a break of course, but in less than 5 minutes Carol entered in her usual manner.  (it's all spliced together in the show seamlessly).   I bought a bunch of "Carol Burnett and Friends" from a seller who taped them off the air, but the picture is so fuzzy I had a hard time finding myself.

• 3 weeks later...

MAJOR MISPRINT (I ASSUME.....!!!) in the great book "The Carol Burnett Show Companion" by Wesley Hyatt.  I like that at the end of each season, he does a season recap, complete with ratings for that year and what awards it was up for.  At the end of the 69-70 season (The CB Show's highest ranking by far: #13), he writes that the Golden Globes seemed to have great affection for the CBS comedy "The Governor and JJ" which bested The CB Show as best comedy.  Julie Sommers won over Carol for Best Television Actress, Musical or Comedy.  He goes on to write "Clearly the Globes had an inexplicable fondness for "Governor and JJ" despite the cancellation after less than a year and a half on the air, as its male lead, Dan Daily, won for Best Television ACTRESS, Musical or Comedy as well"  !!!   Apparently Lucy Carter's post-cancellation poison pen letter had some effect. 

For the record (for us ratings buffs), Carol's 11 seasons had the following rankings in the Nielsens:

Mondays at 10...Season 1(67-68): #27;  2(68-69): #24;   3(69-70):#13 (CBS's entire Monday night line-up made the top 13!);   4(70-71):#25   

Wednesdays at 8: 5(71-72):#23;  6(72-73):#22 (moved to Saturday at 10 in December, where it would spend the next 5 seasons)

Saturdays at 10:  7(73-74): #27 (and may I point out this is only 2 rankings higher than the--supposedly-- cancelled "Here's Lucy" ending its run that season at #29);    8(74-75):#29 (ahem);  9(75-76):#29(ahem, again);  10(76-77):#44(double ahem & cough);  11(77-78):#64  This last year CB had 3 separate time slots.  It was kicked off Saturday nights by the escapes-me popularity of ABC's Love Boat, moving to Sunday at 10, with its final 2-hr. retrospect airing Wednesday 8-10, then after a 2 1/2 month break, reruns were shown Wednesday at 8.  While the ratings of that last season tanked, the last show expanded to 2-hours ended up #14 in that week's ratings.  Carol, in her tearful good-by, said that ending the series was her idea and had NOTHING to do with the ratings, though with only 71 total series in 77-78, her #64 showing placed The Carol Burnett Show in the BOTTOM TEN shows for the season. 

The Carol Burnett Show was no ratings bonanza, but despite having 3 separate time slots (not counting last season), 8 of its 11 seasons were very steady in the 20s in addition to its third season at #13.   Its fall out of the 20s in the 76-77 season was the result of a sudden shift in audience's tastes.  Gone from the top 10 were Phyllis, Rhoda, Maude and All in the Family (though Family bounced back) replaced by Happy Days, Three's Company and Laverne and Shirley.  The high-touted, Emmy-showered Mary Tyler Moore ended its 7 year run at #35!!  In the 75-76 season while Rhoda(#7) and Phyllis(#6) were in the top 10, MTM had dropped to #19. 

(NOTE: I can NEVER stay on topic!)

• Like 1

Has there ever been a greater TV lineup than that CBS Saturday night stretch of All in The Family, M*A*S*H*, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, and Carol Burnett? 

I wonder what the next “era” of TV will be. I know we’re right in the middle of the revival craze, which has had varying levels of success. I think with so many options, we all see these revivals as familiar faces that are easy to tune into. Rather than bringing back all the good old shows, why not make some new shows that are as good as the old ones? I guess as long as there’s a solid reason to revisit characters, no harm is done. Murphy Brown in 2018 is the absolute perfect fit for this revival craze- Mad About You, not so much. But Helen Hunt and Paul Reiser have such incredible chemistry, I’m going to watch anyway!

And speaking of ratings, let’s not forget that in the 1989-1990 season, Roseanne and Cosby were tied for first!

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

Murphy Brown in 2018 is the absolute perfect fit for this revival craze- Mad About You, not so much. But Helen Hunt and Paul Reiser have such incredible chemistry, I’m going to watch anyway!

And speaking of ratings, let’s not forget that in the 1989-1990 season, Roseanne and Cosby were tied for first!

Was only a casual viewer of "Murphy".  Not that I was avoiding it, but I never saw an episode of "Mad About You".  Also never saw a Cosby show, but by choice.  I had a bad feeling about him even back then.  But I just thought "a-hole", not sexual predator. 

Roseanne's ratings history is impressive indeed: It spent its first 5 seasons and #1, 2 or #3.  6th: #4, 7th: #9, 8th: #16 and even that last lottery-winning season came in at #35, better than I thought.   Wikipedia places Roseanne's 2018 current status (labeled its 10th season) at #3 for the year.  I thought it was #1.  What are #1 and #2?

3 hours ago, Neil said:

Was only a casual viewer of "Murphy".  Not that I was avoiding it, but I never saw an episode of "Mad About You".  Also never saw a Cosby show, but by choice.  I had a bad feeling about him even back then.  But I just thought "a-hole", not sexual predator. 

Roseanne's ratings history is impressive indeed: It spent its first 5 seasons and #1, 2 or #3.  6th: #4, 7th: #9, 8th: #16 and even that last lottery-winning season came in at #35, better than I thought.   Wikipedia places Roseanne's 2018 current status (labeled its 10th season) at #3 for the year.  I thought it was #1.  What are #1 and #2?

I think Big Bang would take one of those top slots.

When the season ended, I saw a lot of reports saying that Roseanne was the #1 show this year in both overall viewers and the 18-49 demographic. Now, I can’t seem to find any consistent numbers. Example: Big Bang Theory’s Wikipedia page says that 2017-18 is the show’s first year as #1, which certainly isn’t the case.

2017-18 TOTAL VIEWERS

1. Big Bang (CBS);  2. Our Miss Brooks (Decades)*; 3. Rosanne (ABC); 4. This Is Us(NBC); 5. NCIS(CBS)

2017-18  ages 18-49

1. NBC Sunday Football; 2. This is Us; 3. Rosanne; 4. CBS Thursday Football; 5. Big Bang

How is it possible there are 208 shows listed in the top to bottom ratings??  And this is not counting in HBO or SHOWTIME series. 

*Just kidding!!! #2 is NBC Sunday Night Football. (Did I fool anyone for just a second?)   I'm so out of it I didn't realize there was that much prime time football, taking up 4 slots in the top 10 of total viewers.  Nor do I understand the appeal: after all, it's the SAME PLOT over and over again. 

• Like 1