The Carol Burnett Appreciation Thread

I've decided to take my mother to Carol's Niagara Falls show on Saturday, May 5. :HALKING: Are you going to either show, Joyce? It's just a hop, skip, and a blab from where you are.

I doubt it, Brock; but, will see you later this summer, for sure!

Niagara Falls is about 110 miles from me; let me think about it....Love, JK

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever done the subscription plan for the Columbia House/Guthy Renker DVD volumes?

It's quite expensive to commit to the whole package, but as of now it's the only way to officially get her shows on home video. I guess the music licensing is prohibitive in getting the entire series released, so these 62 uncut ones will have to do for the time being. Ashame they've never been released retail.

At this point, I'd settle for retail releases of the syndicated "Carol Burnett & Friends" cuts, that only show the sketches. That's my favourite part anyway. I know others may disagree, but it'd be better than nothing.

These are the 62 complete episodes originally offered by Columbia House. The Guthy-Renker collection apparently consists of the first 21 volumes, thereby consisting of 42 episodes.

1 - Dinah Shore (Nov. 13, 1976), Roddy McDowall & Jackson 5 (Mar. 16, 1974)

2 - Ken Berry & Jack Weston (Oct. 20,1973), Rock Hudson & Steve Lawrence (Jan. 29, 1977)

3 - Carl Reiner (Jan. 19, 1974), Steve Lawrence (Jan. 10, 1970)

4 - Rock Hudson & Nancy Walker (Feb. 15, 1975), Roddy McDowall (Nov. 1, 1975)

5 - Jim Nabors (Sep. 25, 1976), Ken Berry & Carl Reiner (Dec. 14, 1974)

6 - Ken Berry (Mar. 26, 1977), Bernadette Peters (Feb. 16, 1974)

7 - Roddy McDowall & Bernadette Peters (Mar. 17, 1975), Betty White (Nov. 22, 1975)

8 - Sammy Davis Jr. (Sep. 20, 1975), Shirley Maclaine (Oct. 4, 1975)

9 - Steve Lawrence (Feb. 5, 1974), Steve Lawrence (Feb. 2, 1974)

10 - Lily Tomlin & Steve Lawrence (Nov. 8, 1972), Alan Alda (Dec. 21, 1974)

11 - Gloria Swanson (Sep. 29, 1973), Steve Lawrence & Paul Sand (Nov. 3, 1973)

12 - Dick Van Dyke & Tony Randall (Feb. 21, 1976), Roddy McDowall (Oct. 30, 1976)

13 - Roddy McDowall & Ken Berry (Jan. 8, 1978), The Regulars (Jan. 22, 1977)

14 - Hal Linden (Mar. 5, 1977), Eydie Gorme (Feb. 4, 1977)

15 - Steve Martin & Betty White (Mar. 5, 1978), James Garner & George Carlin & Ken Berry (Mar. 12, 1978)

16 - Pearl Bailey (Oct. 25, 1972), Eydie Gorme & Paul Sand (Oct. 13, 1973)

17 - Joel Grey & Vincent Price (Feb. 9, 1974), The Jackson 5 (Jan. 24, 1976)

18 - Eydie Gorme (Feb. 23, 1974), Joanne Woodward (Feb. 14, 1976)

19 - Madeline Kahn (no date), Ben Vereen (no date)

20 - Vincent Price & Joan Rivers (Jan. 4, 1975), Kay Cole (Nov. 6, 1976)

21 - Jim Nabors (Sep. 14, 1974), Telly Savalas & Smothers Brothers (Oct. 12, 1974)

22 - Tim Conway (Feb. 22, 1975), The Regulars (Mar. 19, 1976)

23 - Maggie Smith (Nov. 15, 1975), Betty White (Nov. 22, 1975)

24 - Cher (Sep. 27, 1975), Dick Van Dyke & Ken Berry (Oct. 29, 1977)

25 - Jack Klugman (Mar. 6, 1976), The Pointer Sisters (Nov. 29, 1975)

26 - Alan King (Dec. 4, 1976), Dick Van Dyke (Nov. 11, 1977)

27 - Maggie Smith (Nov. 24, 1974), Rita Moreno (Jan. 3, 1976)

28 - Petula Clark & Tim Conway (no date), Dick Van Dyke & Steve Lawrence (no date)

29 - Richard Crenna & Ruth Buzzi (Dec. 15, 1973), The Pointer Sisters (Oct. 25, 1975)

30 - Phil Silvers & Jean Stapleton (Mar. 29, 1975), Dick Van Dyke (Dec. 18, 1976)

31 - John Byner & Francine Beers (Mar. 23, 1974), William Conrad & the Jackson 5 (Jan. 25, 1975)

These were all released on VHS in the 1990's as well in these same two-episode combos, four or so years ago still-sealed copies of a dozen were sold on ebay for $2 each by a closeout seller. Just last year saw an episode guide to the full show on the net and stunned by the awesome guests Carol had on her earlier seasons which I never knew of, including Lucy, can't believe she never asked most of those show biz icons back in later years while others were on it as almost as much as Vicki Lawrence.

These were all released on VHS in the 1990's as well in these same two-episode combos, four or so years ago still-sealed copies of a dozen were sold on ebay for $2 each by a closeout seller. Just last year saw an episode guide to the full show on the net and stunned by the awesome guests Carol had on her earlier seasons which I never knew of, including Lucy, can't believe she never asked most of those show biz icons back in later years while others were on it as almost as much as Vicki Lawrence.

Yeah, I'm aware the Guthy Renker sets are identical to the previous Columbia House ones. But it makes sense, as the early years are tied up in "dual rights" negotiations and I don't think can currently be distributed. Also, I've heard Carol isn't as fond of the earlier seasons to boot, so that's why you only see shows from the later years getting released.

Also, these 62 have obviously had the music rights cleared, whereas the others haven't.

Yeah, I'm aware the Guthy Renker sets are identical to the previous Columbia House ones. But it makes sense, as the early years are tied up in "dual rights" negotiations and I don't think can currently be distributed. Also, I've heard Carol isn't as fond of the earlier seasons to boot, so that's why you only see shows from the later years getting released.

Also, these 62 have obviously had the music rights cleared, whereas the others haven't.

I think the problem is the early seasons are owned by different people and Carol owns or at least has a cut in the later seasons. Not a big Carol buff so I don't know the specifics but I'm sure the reason is somewhere on the net. Also, there's a marked difference in Carol's looks in the early years than in the later ones when she opted for a more glamorous image. It's kind of a shock to see Carol in the 1960's when she had a "kooky" eccentric kind of character actress persona even when as "herself", a far cry from the elegant and quite attractive Carol of the 1970's introducing her shows and appearing elsewhere.

I think the problem is the early seasons are owned by different people and Carol owns or at least has a cut in the later seasons. Not a big Carol buff so I don't know the specifics but I'm sure the reason is somewhere on the net. Also, there's a marked difference in Carol's looks in the early years than in the later ones when she opted for a more glamorous image. It's kind of a shock to see Carol in the 1960's when she had a "kooky" eccentric kind of character actress persona even when as "herself", a far cry from the elegant and quite attractive Carol of the 1970's introducing her shows and appearing elsewhere.

You're absolutely right. On one of the reunion specials Carol even showed a clip of her very first Q&A the night the first show taped, and she was quite nervous and goofy. You could tell Carol was mortally embrassed to have ever been like that. She gave the audience the best eye roll.

It seems incredible in hindsight, but when presented with the upcoming fall schedule for 1967, CBS affiliates were not generally happy with the new "Carol Burnett Show" as part of it. So much so that 40 of them declined to air it at all. This TV Guide article doesn't say how many CBS affiliates there were at the time. They do mention Cleveland as a large city that did not carry the show initially.

Despite this, Carol's show got surprisingly good ratings in the first Nielsen reports of that season. Another early 1967-68 season ratings winner: The Mothers In Law!

It seems incredible in hindsight, but when presented with the upcoming fall schedule for 1967, CBS affiliates were not generally happy with the new "Carol Burnett Show" as part of it. So much so that 40 of them declined to air it at all. This TV Guide article doesn't say how many CBS affiliates there were at the time. They do mention Cleveland as a large city that did not carry the show initially.

Despite this, Carol's show got surprisingly good ratings in the first Nielsen reports of that season. Another early 1967-68 season ratings winner: The Mothers In Law!

Those early shows are hard to find these days. For one thing, Carol's not as fond of them as she is the later, mid-70s shows. And another, more important reason is, the first few seasons are tied up in dual-ownership rights, so they're not able to be distributed freely.

Congrats, Brian! Wow, Nine at a whack!! That must have $et you back a $midge! ;)

LOL, congrats :). Well, I guess it's notable that I was able to buy it for myself with my own hard earned money :D.

And yeah, it was a bit costly, but by getting the nine at once I saved $40 rather than starting out with just one.

Oddly enough, they didn't send them in order. This batch mostly consisted of the later volumes...the rarer ones that fetch more money on the amazon marketplace. Not that I intend to sell. I loves me home video library :peachonthebeach: