The Carol Burnett Appreciation Thread

Nice to see Carol finally profiting from her great shows and getting them out to the public on dvd, in various forms yet, something for every taste. Hope the LUCY appearances are in there.

I doubt it. Lucy appeared during the early years, and those ones are still mixed up under dual rights negotiations. It'll probably consist of unreleased and released mixes of the later episodes.

And Carol's been profiting for years from them in the smaller subscription form, but a lot of money had to (and will have to) go to music licensing.

LOL. This is so typical. I no sooner invest in the subscription plan and they announce this :P

I'll have to find out if any or all of these episodes are on the subscription sets, and if so I'll cancel. There are bound to be a few repeats, but I'll have to wait and see.

:D I know how you feel Brian! This would be so typical of my luck (and I thought of you as soon as I read this -- glad I wasn't the one to have to break the news! ;)) peachonthebeach.JPG

These sound pretty cool though!

The Carol Burnett Show - Official In-Store Sets this Fall with 1-DVD, 2-DVD, 6-DVD and Ultimate 20-DVD Titles!

***UPDATE: EARLY INFO ABOUT CONTENT***

Carol herself picks the episodes, and joins the cast for extras, in Time Life's 4 different releases

If you've ever seen a DVD of The Carol Burnett Show offered for sale in the past in the USA, and it was originated by any other seller than the Columbia House "club" membership program or the old Guthy-Renker direct-sale program, then what you saw was an unauthorized bootleg that put money in the hands of pirates, rather than Carol and her team of well-deserving co-stars and crew. This highly-desired variety program has been tough to bring to DVD for various reasons, but now the folks at Time Life have tackled this and are preparing the first-ever authorized in-store releases of the series! Yes, this won't only be available online, but in your local participating retail stores, too. The folks at CarolBurnettFan.com, a fansite endorsed by Carol herself, have this morning gotten the scoop on these FOUR releases that Time Life is preparing:

• The Carol Burnett Show - The Ultimate Collection (20-DVD set): For the ultimate collector, this long-awaited package contains 50 episodes, along with more than 10 hours of new, never-before-seen bonus features enclosed in a creatively-designed collector's box!
  • The Carol Burnett Show - Carol's Favorites (6-DVD set): 18 complete, unedited episodes featuring the most popular (and hilarious) sketches and characters, including Starlet O'Hara in "Went with the Wind," The Family, Tudball & Wiggins, The Oldest Man and additional movie parodies. Guest appearances include Carl Reiner, Steve Martin, Betty White, George Carlin, Shirley MacLaine, The Jackson 5, "and many more."
  • The Carol Burnett Show - The Best Episodes (2-DVD set): 6 all-time classic episodes chosen by Carol Burnett.
  • The Carol Burnett Show - The Best Of (1-DVD release): Budget-priced single-disc release with specific sketches that are fan favorites, including "Went with the Wind," classic sketches of The Family, Tudball & Wiggins, and others!

These will all be available on Tuesday, September 25th, and again you'll be able to find them in stores as well as online! All episodes of the 25-time Emmy-winning show are hand-picked by Carol for these DVDs. They're not up for pre-order yet, so pricing isn't available at this time...nor do we have package art, either. But we do have a list of extras to pass along to you from CarolBurnettFan.com, where you can go to get some additional information (and where you really ought to be hanging out if you love The Carol Burnett Show...or any of Carol's other fantastic work, including All My Children, Glee, and The Secret World of Arrietty).

We'll have more information for you soon about these titles, but in the meantime CarolBurnettFan.com passes along word from Time Life that "all configurations will feature detailed and generous bonus features, specially produced for this historic release, including:"

• A laugh-filled roundtable discussion with Carol Burnett, Tim Conway, Vicki Lawrence and Lyle Waggoner, reminiscing about 11 years of fun and entertainment they created.
  • A personal tribute from the cast honoring the much-beloved fellow cast member Harvey Korman.
  • Multiple featurettes on the history of the show, the genesis of key characters and sketches, Carol's fans, and the influence Carol and the show have had on several generations of comedians and television hosts.
  • New and exclusive interviews with fellow entertainers and guests on the show, including Carl Reiner, Ken Berry, Betty White, Florence Henderson and others.

How exciting! I can't wait to see these, and we know you can't either. We'll bring you additional information (and package art) from these 4 DVD titles, just as soon as we can, so stay tuned. And Happy Birthday to Carol Burnett, who turns 79 a week from tomorrow. How sweet of her to give us, her fans, the gift of this DVD announcement!

UPDATE: In the headline space, I refer to this update as "early info about content"; I should begin by saying that this is NOT detailed information yet. Time Life is still finalizing things, and isn't ready to share that level of detail so far. However, we've been getting a LOT of response from fans, who have asked if the TL releases will all consist of episodes previously seen on the DVDs from Columbia House and from Guthy-Renker, or whether it would contain new-to-DVD episodes as well. And if so, will any of those episodes consist of the earlier ones that haven't been seen in syndication for a long time?

I quickly touched base just now with our contact at Time Life on these questions, who we're grateful to for taking a moment out of his hectic day to fill us in on the answer. As indicated above, part of his response is that TL is still finalizing things, and doesn't have all the detailed information yet. But he assured me that there will indeed be new-to-DVD/long-unseen content on their releases, along with previously-on-DVD material (such as the fan-favorite "Went with the Wind" installment). We know that this is great news for many of you, so we wanted to pass it along right away! They are working on finalizing everything, including pricing, so stay tuned for further updates.

Taken from:http://www.tvshowson...4#ixzz1sSaja9Gr

I'm going to wait and see how the content varies/is the same before I make my decision. I can always return the ones I've got, or else just cancel, but I have a feeling not all episodes will be ported to the new set because it has never before released ones. So I may just stick with it and rent the bonus features on netflix or something...

But I'm a notorious double dipper so knowing me I'll soon own all of them :D

More details from TVShowsonDVD:

The news that Time Life is preparing 4 different DVD releases, mostly at retail stores, on September 25th for The Carol Burnett Show has made fans very happy, and very excited. But it's also left them with a number of questions, and we've passed them along to Time Life in an attempt to get the answers. While the studio couldn't answer every question right away, we did find out a number of new things about their home video plans for this show.

In the late-day update to our original story earlier this week, we said that our contact at Time Life assured us that "there will indeed be new-to-DVD/long-unseen content on their releases, along with previously-on-DVD material." A number of people asked us if this would possibly include episodes from the 1967-1972 era of the show, when it was produced under the "Burngood, Inc." shingle. We thought at first that the answer could be a "yes," but Time Life cleared this up with us and explained that their first releases will NOT include episodes from those early seasons, after all. There will indeed be new-to-DVD episodes on these releases (combined with previously-on-DVD episodes)...it just won't be from any of those first four seasons.

However, the answer to the question "will there be other releases later, beyond these four titles?" is that YES, there are indeed plans to release additional episodes. Season sets are NOT part of the plan, but you could indeed see additional rounds of hand-picked releases on DVD, similar to the ones on this first round that Time Life is putting out. But what about Blu-ray Disc? As unlikely as it seems that a 45-year-old show shot on tape could be done effectively in high-def, the folks at Time Life aren't ready to entirely rule it out just yet. BDs for The Carol Burnett Show are officially in the "TBD" (to be decided) category for now. Because, of course, as with every other release they've made (such as Get Smart, Six Million Dollar Man, etc.), the folks at Time Life are making every effort to have the masters look as good as possible.

Two final tidbits: there has been some confusion about whether the single-disc release announced this week would consist of "loose" skits, or actual episodes, as the press release was a bit vague on that score. The answer is that it will actually consist of 3 episodes, per Time Life. Also, the studio wanted to clarify the "at retail" info: the 1-DVD, 2-DVD and 6-DVD sets of The Carol Burnett Show will be available at participating brick-and-mortar stores near you (and online sellers, such as Amazon), and when more releases occur at general retail in the future they will be the same disc counts. However, the 20-DVD "Ultimate" set will ONLY be sold directly through TimeLife.com's online store. Full details (content and so forth) about all these releases will be coming, along with pricing and package art, just as soon as all the hurdles are cleared and everything is finalized. Stay tuned for updates!

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Carol-Burnett-DVD-Update/16845#ixzz1sd3rbjsZ

• 2 weeks later...

Carol had a great show tonight. When I saw her the first time in Toronto, the audience was kind of boring...most people just asked to meet her, shake her hand, and give her gifts, but this group was terrific. There was one guy named Doug who requested to sing "You Made Me Love You" with Carol like the Bea Arthur look-a-like who did it on the show. Carol obliged. Another excited musical theatre person, a woman this time, came up on stage to do a duet of Shy (from Once Upon A Mattress) with her and she did a few verses before kicking her off the stage. :marionstrong: Remember the audience member with the wild hair who is always shown in the clip shows asking Carol if she still gets nervous and she replies, "Yes, and when I do my hair gets just like yours!"? Well, he was in the audience and they had a touching moment together. It seems he had a very difficult life, but has now made a tremendous success of himself in the last 10 years after battling with suicidal thoughts, and now has his own local TV show in upstate New York. Carol was very moved by his story. I actually got a chance to ask her a question as I wasn't rendered completely speechless like the last time and asked, "Lucy guest-starred with you on your show many times, but what was it like to work with Lucy and Gale on their own turf." I got the patented Once Upon A Mattress story, but she elaborated onto it by talking on how it was very familiar working on the TLS and HL sets as the patterns of working, rehearsing, etc., were shared by the show, as well as the audience element. I don't care if I got the Mattress/Carol+2 story, at least I got to talk to her coherently his time. Last time I made a complete and utter blubbering jackass of myself. <_<:hlLOL:

Carol had a great show tonight. When I saw her the first time in Toronto, the audience was kind of boring...most people just asked to meet her, shake her hand, and give her gifts, but this group was terrific. There was one guy named Doug who requested to sing "You Made Me Love You" with Carol like the Bea Arthur look-a-like who did it on the show. Carol obliged. Another excited musical theatre person, a woman this time, came up on stage to do a duet of Shy (from Once Upon A Mattress) with her and she did a few verses before kicking her off the stage. :marionstrong: Remember the audience member with the wild hair who is always shown in the clip shows asking Carol if she still gets nervous and she replies, "Yes, and when I do my hair gets just like yours!"? Well, he was in the audience and they had a touching moment together. It seems he had a very difficult life, but has now made a tremendous success of himself in the last 10 years after battling with suicidal thoughts, and now has his own local TV show in upstate New York. Carol was very moved by his story. I actually got a chance to ask her a question as I wasn't rendered completely speechless like the last time and asked, "Lucy guest-starred with you on your show many times, but what was it like to work with Lucy and Gale on their own turf." I got the patented Once Upon A Mattress story, but she elaborated onto it by talking on how it was very familiar working on the TLS and HL sets as the patterns of working, rehearsing, etc., were shared by the show, as well as the audience element. I don't care if I got the Mattress/Carol+2 story, at least I got to talk to her coherently his time. Last time I made a complete and utter blubbering jackass of myself. <_<:hlLOL:

Sure WISH YOU'D ask her why she was not coming to Lucille's hometown, which is only 2 hours away....

Sure WISH YOU'D ask her why she was not coming to Lucille's hometown, which is only 2 hours away....

Good one! ANyone or maybe she discuss that the shows are being released on DVD in all those variations, why they're doing it that way, if any Lucy-guest episodes featured, etc.??? Inquiring minds..... ;)

There SHE was in my dreams, last night, or sometime this morning.... AGAIN....it's been months and months!

In our area, with entourage of old friends; going to Carol's appearance; somehow, I was part of the entourage; carried her over a more comfortable chair than the one she had; the old standard, folding metal chair from days gone by....this one, high backed and padded - what a nice person I am to 'my elders'....!!!!

Thought I'd get some thoughts down fast; they are fading as I type!

Enjoy the day....ALL!!!!

Fondly, JK

There SHE was in my dreams, last night, or sometime this morning.... AGAIN....it's been months and months!

In our area, with entourage of old friends; going to Carol's appearance; somehow, I was part of the entourage; carried her over a more comfortable chair than the one she had; the old standard, folding metal chair from days gone by....this one, high backed and padded - what a nice person I am to 'my elders'....!!!!

Thought I'd get some thoughts down fast; they are fading as I type!

Enjoy the day....ALL!!!!

Fondly, JK

Ah man, I want another Lucy dream!

Joyce, I read about your Lucy dreams in your lounge interview. I had one a month or two ago & thought of you when I woke up. I meant to tell you about it but forgot. I was in a long rectangular restaurant with all the tables & chairs along two sides, leaving a large space in the middle. I was the only person in the room, sitting at a table watching Lucy & Viv rehearse a skit for a dinner theater program they were going to put on. Right in front of me! I remember thinking, "Oh my God! I can't believe I am watching them work in person! How can no one else know they are here? If people knew they were here this place would be packed with fans!"

Then they stopped & walked toward my table, preceded by a man who I felt was a manager -- either theirs or the restaurant's. He asked if I would like to meet them, & put an arm around my shoulder after I stood up, pulling me toward them. Just as I was being turned to meet Lucy face to face -- my dog barked & woke me up. Aaaargh! What horrible timing! I love my dog but not so much at that moment :lucythrill:.

Joyce, I read about your Lucy dreams in your lounge interview. I had one a month or two ago & thought of you when I woke up. I meant to tell you about it but forgot. I was in a long rectangular restaurant with all the tables & chairs along two sides, leaving a large space in the middle. I was the only person in the room, sitting at a table watching Lucy & Viv rehearse a skit for a dinner theater program they were going to put on. Right in front of me! I remember thinking, "Oh my God! I can't believe I am watching them work in person! How can no one else know they are here? If people knew they were here this place would be packed with fans!"

Then they stopped & walked toward my table, preceded by a man who I felt was a manager -- either theirs or the restaurant's. He asked if I would like to meet them, & put an arm around my shoulder after I stood up, pulling me toward them. Just as I was being turned to meet Lucy face to face -- my dog barked & woke me up. Aaaargh! What horrible timing! I love my dog but not so much at that moment :lucythrill:.

Wunerful, wunerful....dreams, even people smarter than I, say they are the 'window' of our soul; I'm so glad you have been having them, as well.

The three where she appeared in my childhood home are still WITH ME, vividly; some of the 'others' are fading; but, I have enjoyed thinking about them....

Thanks so MUCH for sharing yours. If we can't believe in the 'unknown', and EVERYTHING is - think about THAT!!!! - then, there is NOTHING to believe in.... ANYONE ELSE????

Fondly, JK

Wunerful, wunerful....dreams, even people smarter than I, say they are the 'window' of our soul; I'm so glad you have having them, as well.

The three where she appeared in my childhood home are still WITH ME, vividly; some of the 'others' are fading; but, I have enjoyed thinking about them....

Thanks so MUCH for sharing yours. If we can't believe in the 'unknown', and EVERYTHING is - think about THAT!!!! - then, there is NOTHING to believe in.... ANYONE ELSE????

Fondly, JK

You guys seem to have meaningful dreams about Lucy. Mine are pretty weird and make no sense. She just pops in for cameos once in awhile. One time I watched her drive down my childhood street in a pickup. LOL

You guys seem to have meaningful dreams about Lucy. Mine are pretty weird and make no sense. She just pops in for cameos once in awhile. One time I watched her drive down my childhood street in a pickup. LOL

Even THAT, as you say, is WAY KEWL!!!! Loving you, JK

Awesome!! That's so neat. I hear her voice occasionally but I can't make out the words. It's like during the middle of a really monotone dream..just normal stuff happening and then I can hear her voice in the background saying something..I look around, but I can't find her. :(

How cool B) that so many of us have had dreams of Lucy (& Viv, & Desi! Bill, anyone? :) ). Taylor, I laughed at the image of her driving a pickup down the street in front of your house :marionstrong: . I pictured the window rolled down, her elbow out, & smoking, of course :lucythrill: .

The one I posted above is the only one I've had that I can remember. I liked that Viv was in it too. They were both about the age of the early TLS years.

Joyce, I thought it was so interesting (& no coincidence) that you've dreamed of Lucy so many times while writing your book about her. Hopefully soon she will tell you what she came to say :) .

I hope in your next Lucy dream she speaks up & enunciates, Gypsy Rose :lucythrill: .

How about you, Brock? Have you had any? :)

Next person to have one let's start a Dream thread in the Lucy sightings section so we can keep them all together -- it feels odd to be posting these in Carol's thread :mred::) .

How cool B) that so many of us have had dreams of Lucy (& Viv, & Desi! Bill, anyone? :) ). Taylor, I laughed at the image of her driving a pickup down the street in front of your house :marionstrong: . I pictured the window rolled down, her elbow out, & smoking, of course :lucythrill: .

The one I posted above is the only one I've had that I can remember. I liked that Viv was in it too. They were both about the age of the early TLS years.

Joyce, I thought it was so interesting (& no coincidence) that you've dreamed of Lucy so many times while writing your book about her. Hopefully soon she will tell you what she came to say :) .

I hope in your next Lucy dream she speaks up & enunciates, Gypsy Rose :lucythrill: .

How about you, Brock? Have you had any? :)

Next person to have one let's start a Dream thread in the Lucy sightings section so we can keep them all together -- it feels odd to be posting these in Carol's thread :mred::) .

Brock is in charge - this is a GREAT IDEA; perhaps, he would consider opening just such a thread; and pulling these postings over there...

Brock??? when you have time, please. Love, JK