The Eldest Surviving Lucy Co-Stars

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luise Rainer is still alive and presumably well at 103, but I didn't think she has any Lucy connection.

The chronology MAY cheat a bit; but, I'm thinking along the lines of co-star roles; plus connections to Desilu; additionally, appearances where they may have crossed paths...

January 12

Luise Rainer, two-time Oscar Award-winning actress, 24 titles; appears with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), The Great Ziegfeld, as Anna Held, uncredited, 1936; appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Toast of the Town, 1958; with Lucille, Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, 1987; as well as with Lucille, archivally, That's Entertainment! III, 1994, is born this date 1910.

Thanks, Harry; I believe I read somewhere else that she was in an uncredited role; can we investigate that? Love, JK

I see this credit has finally been removed from the IMDB. It claimed that Vivian was an uncredited spectator in one of Luise Rainer/Anna Held's production numbers. There are three women in the scene who make comments from the audience. I think that someone thought that one of these women resembled Vivian and then just submitted this credit to the IMDB. None of the women were Vivian. Vivian was likely still appearing on Broadway in Anything Goes when this was filmed.

The chronology MAY cheat a bit; but, I'm thinking along the lines of co-star roles; plus connections to Desilu; additionally, appearances where they may have crossed paths...

January 12

Luise Rainer, two-time Oscar Award-winning actress, 24 titles; appears with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), The Great Ziegfeld, as Anna Held, uncredited, 1936; appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Toast of the Town, 1958; with Lucille, Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, 1987; as well as with Lucille, archivally, That's Entertainment! III, 1994, is born this date 1910.

As I told Harry, when he directed my attention to my post on Luise; it should read:

January 12

Luise Rainer, two-time Oscar Award-winning actress, 24 titles; appears with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), an uncredited audience member, The Great Ziegfeld, as Anna Held, uncredited, 1936; appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Toast of the Town, 1958; with Lucille, Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, 1987; as well as with Lucille, archivally, That's Entertainment! III, 1994, is born this date 1910.

Still can't remember where I found that piece of trivia; some of my entries were entered up to 8 years ago. My editing, hopefully, will fix some of these 'goofs' as I go along; that's why it's taking me soooolonnnngg... Thanks again, Harry; you are the BEST! Love, JK

As I told Harry, when he directed my attention to my post on Luise; it should read:

January 12

Luise Rainer, two-time Oscar Award-winning actress, 24 titles; appears with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), an uncredited audience member, The Great Ziegfeld, as Anna Held, uncredited, 1936; appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Toast of the Town, 1958; with Lucille, Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, 1987; as well as with Lucille, archivally, That's Entertainment! III, 1994, is born this date 1910.

Still can't remember where I found that piece of trivia; some of my entries were entered up to 8 years ago. My editing, hopefully, will fix some of these 'goofs' as I go along; that's why it's taking me soooolonnnngg... Thanks again, Harry; you are the BEST! Love, JK

Vivian isn't in the movie at all - credited or uncredited. Vivian's first film was Take a Chance in 1933 (filmed in New York) and she didn't appear in another film until The Secret Fury in 1950. She had nothing to do with The Great Ziegfeld.

Vivian isn't in the movie at all - credited or uncredited. Vivian's first film was Take a Chance in 1933 (filmed in New York) and she didn't appear in another film until The Secret Fury in 1950. She had nothing to do with The Great Ziegfeld.

WOW! Another day lost, removing what I just entered yesterday! Thanks, Harry. You must have access to some fantastic research. Wish I had more reliable ones! I appreciate this tidbit.

• 1 year later...

Another person to add to our list: 100 year old Shep Houghton. According to the IMDB, Houghton appeared in the chorus in Murder at the Vanities and Too Many Girls. In the article below it also says he was an extra on I Love Lucy. Does he look familiar to anyone?

http://lareviewofbooks.org/essay/last-great-nobodies/#

In his interview, Shep says that Lucy was after his body in the early 1930s. His comment about her red hair is suspicious. The author seems to doubt some of his statements (there's no one around to dispute him) and this makes me question them too. He is a hundred though, he might just be misremembering Lucy's hair color at the time.

Where was Lucy in Happy Birthday Hollywood.  Saw it and cannot recall what she did in it?

In another thread somewhere here we were trying to determine Lucy's participation in Happy Birthday, Hollywood. Lucy does not seem to appear on camera and is not credited. However, this seems to have been included in Lucy's credits throughout the years. There are from various sources of Lucy outside the venue, but there doesn't seem to be any pictures or video of her inside. She may have just attended as an audience member, which seems odd to me. Everyone else in show business was onstage.

Here's one of the pictures of Lucy supposedly taken at Happy Birthday Hollywood. She looked sensational. Lucy wore this gown to her All Star Party and the opening of the Bob Hope Cultural Center, but it can't be from either of those events because she wore completely different wigs. 

il_570xN.461495775_ghzh.jpg

Lucy's Without Love costar Patricia Morison turned 99 (98) yesterday. I believe she's the oldest Lucy costar after Mary Carlisle that we're aware of.

Another person to add to our list is 95 year old Marsha Hunt, who appeared in Lucy's Thousands Cheer sketch.

Morison: Somehow, I have 3/19/14 - as birth year; so, it seems that is the correct one, after all, Harry.  In 2013, she was 99 (98); this year, then, she is now 100; and no reports of her death have I read....

Hunt:  10/17/17 - just a mere youngster, at nearly 97 come October!

Carlisle: 2/3/12; at 102; 

Let me know, please, if these dates are accurate according to your very knowledgeable records.  Loving you, JK 

Morison: Somehow, I have 3/19/14 - as birth year; so, it seems that is the correct one, after all, Harry.  In 2013, she was 99 (98); this year, then, she is now 100; and no reports of her death have I read....

Hunt:  10/17/17 - just a mere youngster, at nearly 97 come October!

Carlisle: 2/3/12; at 102; 

Let me know, please, if these dates are accurate according to your very knowledgeable records.  Loving you, JK 

In this interview from last year, Patricia Morison states that she was born in 1915. She would be 99 right now. Morison is still active. She performed in New York about a month ago..

What is Mary Stewart's Lucy connection?

Mary Stewart was born 1/14/13, according to IMDb; and here's a surprise, today, they say she passed 8/19/95 - the bio is the one I have in the chronology, except I had 1914, and as still alive.  There is a writer, Mary Stewart, WRITER, born near the actress, stilll alive

In this interview from last year, Patricia Morison states that she was born in 1915. She would be 99 right now. Morison is still active. She performed in New York about a month ago..

She also just appeared, along with our own Carole Cook among many other notables, at the annual S.T.A.G.E. show, performing a number from King and I.  She's never shown walking on or off stage (seems to be confined to a wheelchair), but as soon as her name is announced, she gets one of if not the biggest ovation of the evening.....and it was one loooooooooong evening this year, believe me!!  Amazing!! 

• 4 months later...

Marsha Hunt, Lucy's Thousands Cheer co-star, turned 97 last Friday. I think she is the last surviving person in that famous MGM anniversary picture with Lucy.

One Lucy costar we've never mentioned is Mary Healy, who is still alive at the age of 96. She and Lucy worked together several times in early television.

Funny, I was reading about Mary today but had no idea where I knew her name from, thanks.

You certainly remember The Peter Lind Hayes Show, with Mary Healy, 1950-51? The additionally had a years-later show, Peter Loves Mary, 1960-61.   I believe they were married to each other. She was born  4/14, 1918

Nope, never saw the show but I do remember them being a couple though.  Seeing the name on it's own though didn't register Peter's name in my OLD mind.  Same as Mary Ford on it's own wouldn't mean anything unless it was Les Paul and Mary Ford.  Keeley Smith I would remember without her spouse being mentioned though.

Marsha Hunt, Lucy's Thousands Cheer co-star, turned 97 last Friday. I think she is the last surviving person in that famous MGM anniversary picture with Lucy.

One Lucy costar we've never mentioned is Mary Healy, who is still alive at the age of 96. She and Lucy worked together several times in early television.

Harry:  What was the date of the MGM anniversary party - I have it somewhere; want to include Marsha Hunt iin recognnition on her birth date; 10/17....  thanks if you can steer me over there or have the date of same.  Thanks again....Loving you, JK

Archived