Let’s Talk to Lucy

HarryCarter

Let’s Talk to Lucy will be heard again!

In 1964, Lucille Ball was starring in her second hit CBS sitcom, “The Lucy Show,” while serving as chief executive of Desilu, one of the largest independent TV production companies in Hollywood at the time.

But the comic actress, whose legacy was already solidified by the wildly popular “I Love Lucy,” still found time to do a daily 10-minute radio program for the CBS radio network called “Let’s Talk to Lucy.” Using her own portable reel-to-reel tape recorder, Ball sat and chatted with the biggest stars in show business at the time, many of whom were her friends.

Starting Thursday, all 240 episodes of “Let’s Talk to Lucy” will be heard on a SiriusXM satellite radio “pop-up” channel, the first time they have been publicly available since airing on the radio. After a limited three-week run, the shows will be presented as podcasts that can be downloaded or streamed through the SXM App, Stitcher, Pandora and other platforms.

The cache of shows features conversations with major stars of the era, including Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Mary Tyler Moore, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and Barbra Streisand, and behind-the-scenes figures such as costume designer Edith Head and makeup artist Hal King.

The unearthed programs are the latest iteration in a Lucy renaissance that has bubbled up in recent years. Aaron Sorkin is directing “Being the Ricardos,” a feature depicting a week in the life of Ball and Cuban bandleader husband, Desi Arnaz, when “I Love Lucy” was the most-watched show in prime time during the 1950s. The film stars Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem.

Imagine Documentaries and White Horse Pictures has an upcoming documentary about Ball and Arnaz directed by Amy Poehler. It looks at the couple’s personal and professional relationship. Both films are being made with the cooperation of Ball’s estate.

There is plenty to explore. “I Love Lucy” revolutionized TV by being the first sitcom filmed with three cameras in front of a live audience. Its success enabled Arnaz and Ball to launch their own studio that turned out such network hits as “The Untouchables,” “Mission: Impossible” and “Star Trek.”

The “Let’s Talk to Lucy” tapes surfaced during research for the documentary, according to Ball’s daughter, Lucie Arnaz. In between her own stage and concert performances, Arnaz has managed the voluminous archives of her mother and father since their deaths more than 30 years ago, digging through garages, basements and storage facilities on both coasts.

“It’s been my nemesis and the greatest joy of my life for 30 some years,” Arnaz said in a telephone interview from her Palm Springs home. “You do a first pass right which is, ‘What is this? Should I throw it out?’ And then many years later you go through it for another reason — for a documentary — and you look at it differently.”

Arnaz recalls her mother taping the “Let’s Talk to Lucy” interviews in a room on the Desilu lot that is now part of Paramount Studios in Hollywood. At times, Ball would haul the bulky tape machine to meet a celebrity off-site. The conversations went beyond show business commiserating. 

“She asks them about life in general, or ‘If you could be anyone in the history of the world, who would you want to be?’” Arnaz said.

The tapes were never lost. But until recently, Arnaz never thought there would be a market for them. This time around, she called her parents’ longtime attorney, Dixon Dern, for advice. Dern connected her with Judy Pastore at Spotted Dog Entertainment, who recognized how “Let’s Talk to Lucy” could reach a new audience through streaming and podcasting.

The program was quickly snapped up by SiriusXM, which will present them on Channel 104 before making them available in podcast form. Along with the original episodes that aired on CBS for a year, contemporary celebrities including Poehler, Tiffany Haddish, Debra Messing, Rosie O’Donnell and Ron Howard will be heard in new segments answering actual questions asked by Ball on the program.

Ball is one of the few stars who crosses generational boundaries, as “I Love Lucy” continues to find audiences on streaming platforms such as Paramount+, Hulu and Amazon. The series was a major hit in broadcast syndication and cable for decades after its six-year run on CBS.

Arnaz has her own theory on the enduring popularity of her parents’ creation.

“It’s not just funny,” she said. “It’s so full of unconditional love. When we turn it on, we can laugh, but at the end, we also feel like it’s OK to screw up and somebody is going to still love you anyway. I think we all need to know that, and this show gives you that every single time you watch it.”

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-08-03/we-still-love-lucy-and-now-she-has-a-podcast

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RodMcK1 said:

They have edited out the original theme music and Gary Morton's presence altogether. No complaints, though.  Whoever thought the entire run of this show would ever be heard again?

I started with the Gertrude Berg ones this morning. Gary pops in to ask some questions. Did learn that he calls his mom Rosie and why he loves the CA sunshine. 

I'm keeping a list as I listen today and making some notes.

In 1964, Lucille Ball was starring in her second hit CBS sitcom, “The Lucy Show,” while serving as chief executive of Desilu, one of the largest independent TV production companies in Hollywood at the time. But the comic actress, whose legacy was already solidified by the wildly popular “I Love Lucy,” still found time to do a daily 10-minute radio program for the CBS radio network called “Let’s Talk to Lucy.” Using her own portable reel-to-reel tape recorder, Ball sat and chatted with the biggest stars in show business at the time, many of whom were her friends.

Lucy's work ethic during this period must have been incredible. She was running a studio, starring in a hit TV show, doing specials and guest appearances, writing an autobiography, doing a radio show, *and* raising two teenagers at the same time. 

Looking forward to listening to these episodes! I've heard clips from some of Lucy's interviews with Mary Tyler Moore and Doris Day on YouTube, and they were great. At this point in her life/career, Lucy's voice hadn't turned to bass yet, so her voice is very pleasant to listen to. 

• Like 2

The 6 part Hal King interview was so interesting. She talks about how she does her makeup, Hal gives piles of tips on applications.

Not only does it show how much makeup and skincare changed since the 60s. But the fact that your breakfast table makeup, yes you had to wear it to make your husband happy, was not the same look for a lunch date with the girls. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

The 6 part Hal King interview was so interesting. She talks about how she does her makeup, Hal gives piles of tips on applications.

Not only does it show how much makeup and skincare changed since the 60s. But the fact that your breakfast table makeup, yes you had to wear it to make your husband happy, was not the same look for a lunch date with the girls. 

I knew you would love that one!

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 4:38 PM, Luvsbway said:

I cannot wait to hear this one! 

• Like 1

I am LOVING these.  Lucy's voice is so soft and soothing.  She's a great interviewer, showing interest in her guests and asking informed questions, without undo fawning.  Just how many "good friends" did she have?   She admits that she doesn't "think funny".  It's true that she's not "on" but says an occasional amusing thing. And what a great audience she is, with a hearty laugh.   I always bristle at the comments made about her having NO sense of humor.  

This was certainly a heady time for Lucy.  As much as she griped later about having to run Desilu, I think she enjoyed being the boss lady and roaming around the studio (and beyond) capturing interviewees.  I'm recording so I can listen later and avoid LTTL overload.  One interview I keep missing is Ann Sothern.  I don't know if this was pre- or post-Countess episodes.  I say "Countess Rosie" ("Frankly, Framboise" maybe?) as a spinoff series might have had legs!   Trivia of the day in case you didn't know: "Framboise" is French for "raspberry"!

But my: how times have changed!  Hal's pre-breakfast makeup tips, Mel Torme's misogynistic view of the ideal woman, Arlene Dahl's beauty book "Always Ask a Man", etc.  Many of these happy marriages would go bust not longer after these shows aired.  I reread Betty Hutton book.  On the LTTL, she describes an ideal home life, married to musician Pete Carboli (sp?).  Soon after this show, she was watching TV and Rona Barrett announced that Pete was secretly engaged to Edie Adams, who he ended up marrying.  This sent poor Betty into an emotional tailspin until she ended up broke and homeless.  

Unless I'm missing them, I haven't heard any new ones in the mix in quite a while.  I had enough trouble finding and securing the Sirius Radio service.  I wish Sirius would let us know the schedule.  Lucie keeps mentioning the "Sirius app" and how after this run, they will be released once a week as a podcast.   Same episodes?  Or are they holding some back for podcast release?  I'm embarrassingly ignorant of these things. 

If Ozzie Nelson buffs can claim that Ozzie made the very first "music video" by cutting away from Ricky during a song to show scenery shots, then I guess LTTL can qualify as the nation's "first podcast". 

The only thing I find annoying is the pretense that the shows involving a particular guests were recorded on different days.  "Will you come back tomorrow," etc.  Given that she makes it clear her show is a roving one, there is no pretense that it's a live show.  So why the pretense about each show being a different day?

This is an on going list of episodes I heard and how many parts there were. Hope it's a good checklist. There are ones out there I know I haven't heard yet. Mary Tyler Moore is one.

Let’s Talk To Lucy Guests

1. Gertrude Berg- x2
2. Eva Marie Saint- x6
3. Dinah Shore – x3
4. Hy Gardner- Syndicated Columnist- x3
5. Robert Stack- x3
6. Mitzi Gaynor and husband Jack- x2
7. Lucy Day At The World’s Fair- x2
8. George Smith talking about high school dropouts- x2
9. Sheila McCrea- x2
10. Steve Allen -x5
11. Barnaby Conrad- in San Fran- x3
12. Loren Green- x4
13. Donald O’Connor- x4
14. Carol Burnett
15. Ray Walston- x2
16. Bea Benaderet- x2
17. Evelyn Keyes, married to Artie Shaw
18. Mike Frankovitch and Binnie Barnes- x4
19. Hal King- x6
20. Mel Torme- x4
21. Bill Bixby- x3
22. Lucy Talks About Working With Animals- x2
23. Tammy Grimes- x2
24. Candy Moore
25. Hilly Rose KCBS in San Fran- x2
26. Carolyn Jones from Adams Family- x2
27. Gypsy Rose Lee-x3
28. Vivian Vance on the Great Race- x3
29. Helen Girly Brown- x3
30. Lucy Stays At Home
31. Georgia Skelton
32. Dr Harold Glick talks about acne- x2
33. Hedda Hopper- x3
34. Richard Crenna- x3
35. Leonard Slater- x2
36. Fredrick Lowe
37. Nancy Sinatra and Tommy Sands- x3
38. Jane Powell- x3
39. Mary Costa- x5
40. Bing Crosby- x2
41. Cynthia Lowery- AP Columnist-
42. Clint Walker- x3
43. Desi Jr’s New Dog
44. Julie Andrews- x2
45. Doris Day
46. Jeanne Martin- x2
47. Dean Martin -x2
48. Lucy Talks About Teenagers
49. Lucy Talks to Voice of America
50. Bea Lillie
51. Dick Van Dyke- x2
52. Betty Hutton- x5
53. Ernest Gold- composer- x3
54. Andy Williams- x3
55. Mary Kay Dodson- from Bergdorf Goodman
56. Joshua Logan
57. Robert Culp-x3
58. Gene Kelly- x4
59. Carol Channing
60. Gale Gordon
61. Ann Sothern-x2
62. Aldo Ray-x3
63. Betty Furness x5
64. Shirley Booth x3
65. Barbara Streisand – x3
66. Robert Sunval - Australian Actor -x2
67. John Mc Giver- x3
68. Frankie Lane- x3
69. Eve Arden -x5
70.Debbie Reynolds- x3
71. Arlene Dahl- x5
72. John McGiver -x3
73. George Cukor- x3
74. Julie Newmar- x2
75. Bob Hope 
76. Lucy Talks Christmas- x2
77. Jack Warner- x3
78. Edith Head- x4
79. Frank Sinatra- x2
80. E.E. Wall- President of Standard Oil and Jr. Achievement Program- x2 
81. Arthur Godfrey- x2
82. Ruth Berle- x2
83. Joy Hodges- x2
84. Sergio Fantoni
85. Lucy Talks About Life

Podcast 1
1. Danny Kaye
2. Copa Girls
3. Peter Lind Hayes
4. Carol Channing

Podcast 2
1. Jeanne Martin
2. Dean Martin

• Like 1

Random observations.

1. Listen carefully, I notice it most with headphones. Lucy strikes a match often to light her cigarette. I'm now noticing I can hear her exhale the smoke.

2. I like her God Bless and drive carefully sign-off.

3. Lucy is trying so hard to raise her children with discipline, spend quality time with them, navigate the coming teenage years, deal with their studies all while knowing how fast they grow and she won't have them much longer. She asks lots of questions about kids so she can learn. It's evident how important her children were to her.

4. Lucy really seemed to love Europe and visiting it.

5. I'm hearing more unusual ways Lucy pronounces words. Rodeo she pronounces as the street not the horse kind.

6. Gary is a big music guy, hates cold weather, and is an emotional guy.

7. Lucy's voice is so calming and I especially like when it slips into a breathy softness when she reacts between a guest or asks some of her probing questions.

8. Lucy seems so content and happy with her life at this point in time. 

9. Lucy refers to the kids as our children and Gary even calls Desi Jr. my little boy. The kids called Lucy and Desi mommy and daddy, or at least that's the words Lucy uses. So what did the kids really call Gary?

10. Lucy is into knowing what everyone's astrological sign is. 

• Like 3

In the Christmas episode they say DeDe has 8 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren. 

I've got the grandchildren. Looks like Cleo's Tina wasn't born yet so it would end up as 9. 

But who are the 2 great grandchildren? I think Pam is the oldest but had she had kids by 64/65?  

1 hour ago, HarryCarter said:

I sure love the idea of a Lucy-Desi channel with the Love, Lucy audio recordings!

I'd never listen to anything else. Since the radio shows started the only music I have listened to was Saturday night at the roller rink. If I got audio on, it's Lucy. 

I know Desi did 10 tapes of audio about his book and it did sell at an auction but I'm assuming this is what Lucie is talkin about. I don't care if it sounds bad, I want to hear it. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 2:34 PM, Neil said:

This was certainly a heady time for Lucy.  As much as she griped later about having to run Desilu, I think she enjoyed being the boss lady and roaming around the studio (and beyond) capturing interviewees.  I'm recording so I can listen later and avoid LTTL overload.  One interview I keep missing is Ann Sothern.  I don't know if this was pre- or post-Countess episodes.  I say "Countess Rosie" ("Frankly, Framboise" maybe?) as a spinoff series might have had legs!   Trivia of the day in case you didn't know: "Framboise" is French for "raspberry"!

In the Ann Sothern interview, Lucy mentions that Lucie turned 13 a couple weeks earlier, so this was presumably recorded at the beginning of August. The Countess episodes began filming in November. Lucy says she wants Ann for two or three episodes. Plans might have already been in the works.