What episodes are you watching on "I Love Lucy"?

They showed the clip of Lucy and the boat in the 50th anniversary special or something, and that was my only exposure to that episode for a long time so I get wildly nostalgic whenever I see that scene.

Lotus Bud will hate me saying this but as i saw Lucy in various gowns, all i kept thinking is, IMAGINE THIS ONE IN COLOR!

Which brings to mind Shel, need your opinion again, when she goes out on deck for a late night date with Ricky, she is wearing what looks like her coat from the baby episodes, the one she also wore to her first Emmy win to hide the baby weight, but the collar looks like it has more stones, looks better, do you think it's the same coat they added stuff to or just a similar one that looks better?

• 3 weeks later...

I got a text from a friend asking to borrow my ILL DVDs. That's the third person I've won over this month. I should start going door to door trying to convert people into Lucy fans.

If you do then push the upcoming Blu-Ray release while you're at it! Don't want those stalled out at Season 2!!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Mini LDCH "marathon" this weekend of a "mixed bag" disc of eps, all credited to the 2nd & 3rd "Bobs" Schiller & Weiskopf, in a wildly varying degree of quality:

1) ...Makes Room for Danny:  Along with "Career" and Tallulah, the finest outing of the entire 13.  Everyone seems at the top of their game here and the script is one of the Bobs' best. Another installment that seemed more "at home" and ILL-like than many of the other hour-longs, perhaps because it was "home bound" plot-wise but I think also because it didn't have the "bloated" feel of many of the others, particularly those that depended heavily on location shooting (e.g. "Alaska", "Uranium" etc."). 

2) ...Goes to Alaska:  The more I try to "like" this installment because of the talent involved i.e., guest Skelton and heavy use of Fred & Ethel in the plot, I still can't get past how inane much of the story is and the "location" (cough, cough) scenes don't do this outing any favors either.  The "don't you know how to fly a plane" bit may have been novel then (despite how many sitcoms have used it since) but it was still unbelievable, at least in the execution.  

The highlights of course were the hammock routine and the "Poor Us" number but as good as they both are at it, I felt the pantomime number went on too long. Hard to warm up to (no pun intended) this one. 

3) ...Wants A Career:  The reason I popped in this disc was to specifically see what to me is perhaps my favorite hour-long episode, or if I'm being honest, one of the two or three (see #1 above) in a tie for my fave:  Not only does this installment feel closer to an ILL ep, it's one of the last truly hilarious offerings as well as the last to be done with an audience, which to me always makes a huge difference not only in the performances of all involved but also a preferred look and feel of the end product as well. 

4) ...Summer Vacation: No big fan here of Ida Lupino and Howard Duff but this installment was better than I remembered.  My biggest complaint perhaps is the almost total lack of the Mertzes, which is always a downside to any effort in which they're not used much.  Liked that the major plot point was Lucy wanting more romantic alone-time with Ricky, especially since as time went on, their obvious affection for one another was nowhere nearly as evident as it was in so many ILL episodes.  

I've always been a huge Skelton fan but never really got into the Alaska episode. Over time I've realized that it's because of the writing; Red has nothing to do with it.

Summer Vacation was actually the last ILL/ LDCH episode I ever watched. I'm not sure how that ended up being the one I put off the longest. I liked the set used for the lake house but other than that it's quite forgettable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Don Juan and the Starlets is on right now...

:bill1: Ethel wants to know if we're still going to Knott's Berry Farm today.

Such a throwaway line, but Bill makes me laugh with this one every single time. Oh, the mysterious power of the original Fab Four.

Ah yes...besides, he didn't want to look conspicuous! :vanda:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Lucy Visits Grauman's"

I've realized that one more reason the show is so great is its perfect depiction of the chaos and complications that arise when you get in shenanigans with your friends. This episode is a great example of that. Did they really think they could get away with stealing the handprints? That's pretty conspicuous, not to mention highly illegal.

"Lucy Visits Grauman's"

I've realized that one more reason the show is so great is its perfect depiction of the chaos and complications that arise when you get in shenanigans with your friends. This episode is a great example of that. Did they really think they could get away with stealing the handprints? That's pretty conspicuous, not to mention highly illegal.

And it contains one of my favorite Ethel-Fred exchanges:

Fred aiming camera: "Come one, Ethel.  Look at me and smile."

Ethel:"Make up your mind.  I can't do both."

• Like 1

Watched "Ricky Has Labor Pains" on Blu-Ray. Ethel's reaction to Fred's "old battle-axe" line always tickles me.

I was pleased to see that HD hasn't shown up the mashed potatoes and gravy for what it really was. It's still passable as ice cream.

Also enjoyed a hi-def showing of "Pregnant Women Are Unpredictable." God but it's fun to see the original commercials and tags!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Lucy Raises Chickens"

The bit where Fred and Ethel answer the Ricardo's ad in the paper and hide outside is really cute. I come to love the Connecticut house more and more each time I see it. All the other apartments were obviously on a soundstage, but all the rooms in the house have so many dimensions and so much atmosphere to them. I'm at the point where the visuals overpower the story for me.