What episodes are you watching on "I Love Lucy"?

Face to Face / The Ricardos Are Interviewed

For me, this is the best of the post-Hollywood, pre-Europe episodes. The plot is solid and all four regulars get spotlight moments. What makes this one stand out is the number of scenes Fred and Ethel have alone together, something that didn't happen very often. The Mertzes really are equal to the Ricardos in this one. This is probably my favorite of the Ricardo/Mertz fights, and one of the best motivated fights at that.

Lucy's routine with the melting chocolates is an underrated bit of hers. I think it's right up there with the best of her work. I've never seen the actual Edward R. Murrow, but everyone said Elliot Reid did a spot-on impersonation. I'll have to look the real one up.

(Does anyone know how this episode came to have two official titles?)

1 hour ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Lucy's routine with the melting chocolates is an underrated bit of hers. I think it's right up there with the best of her work. 

The thing I like about it is it's very real. I bet you could totally think of a time you were at a party, dinner, social event trying to be all sophisticated and ended up putting too much in your mouth, struggling with some too complicated finger food and trying to look all cool and calm. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 6:13 PM, Mot Morenzi said:

Face to Face / The Ricardos Are Interviewed

For me, this is the best of the post-Hollywood, pre-Europe episodes. The plot is solid and all four regulars get spotlight moments. What makes this one stand out is the number of scenes Fred and Ethel have alone together, something that didn't happen very often. The Mertzes really are equal to the Ricardos in this one. This is probably my favorite of the Ricardo/Mertz fights, and one of the best motivated fights at that.

Lucy's routine with the melting chocolates is an underrated bit of hers. I think it's right up there with the best of her work. I've never seen the actual Edward R. Murrow, but everyone said Elliot Reid did a spot-on impersonation. I'll have to look the real one up.

(Does anyone know how this episode came to have two official titles?)

I haven't seen this one in a while.  Isn't this the episode where Ricky says he's 5'11 1/2" tall?  Do we know how tall Desi actually was?  Lucy was tall for a woman at 5/6 1/2" (though seemed taller). With heels, they seemed almost the same height.   I don't think Lucy was wearing 5" heels!   And isn't there some mention of how gooey the chocolates are before they go on the air?  When the writers put in one little reference as a set-up, it really makes the ensuing bit play much better.   Those little touches.

Though there are always great scenes in the episodes, I'm not as comfortable with plots that center around the Ricardos and Mertzes in an all-out war.  Like "The Courtroom": Yes, Ricky ruined their TV but  the generous Ricardos just GAVE it to them. (probably spent $2000 in 2020 dollars)  Fred kicking in the Ricardo's screen seems a little severe.    I wonder if TVs were really that touchy back then.  I'm talking about the adjustment of the picture.  I'm sure they rarely exploded. 

• 2 weeks later...

3/7/20:

"Lucy Gets In Pictures" (followed by Dick Van Dyke Show episode Where Did I Come From? and Mister Ed episode "Ed the Donkey") (also preceded by Green Acres episode "Guess Who's Not Going To the Luau?", The Munsters episode "Herman, the Master Spy",  I Dream of Jeannie episode "Invisible House for Sale", & Bewitched episode "Samantha Loses Her Voice")

"Harpo Marx"

This morning (3/11/20):

I Love Lucy Superstar Special #2 (featuring "Lucy Visits Grauman's" & "Lucy & John Wayne") (followed by The Brady Bunch episode "Love and the Older Man") (also preceded by Happy Days episodes "All the Way", "Fonzie Drops In", "Guess Who's Coming to Christmas", "Richie's Flip Side", "Fonzie Moves In" & "They Call It Potsie Love")

On 3/11/2020 at 4:04 PM, Harrison said:

3/7/20:

"Lucy Gets In Pictures" (followed by Dick Van Dyke Show episode Where Did I Come From? and Mister Ed episode "Ed the Donkey") (also preceded by Green Acres episode "Guess Who's Not Going To the Luau?", The Munsters episode "Herman, the Master Spy",  I Dream of Jeannie episode "Invisible House for Sale", & Bewitched episode "Samantha Loses Her Voice")

"Harpo Marx"

This morning (3/11/20):

I Love Lucy Superstar Special #2 (featuring "Lucy Visits Grauman's" & "Lucy & John Wayne") (followed by The Brady Bunch episode "Love and the Older Man") (also preceded by Happy Days episodes "All the Way", "Fonzie Drops In", "Guess Who's Coming to Christmas", "Richie's Flip Side", "Fonzie Moves In" & "They Call It Potsie Love")

Quite a variety of classic sitcoms! Are they aired in this order by a particular "Retro" TV cable channel (e.g. Antenna TV, COZI, MeTV etc. etc.?)? I'm kind of out of the loop on their respective current lineups....and I thought Hallmark was the only current cable channel airing ILL.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 5:42 PM, JoeySoCal said:

Quite a variety of classic sitcoms! Are they aired in this order by a particular "Retro" TV cable channel (e.g. Antenna TV, COZI, MeTV etc. etc.?)? I'm kind of out of the loop on their respective current lineups....and I thought Hallmark was the only current cable channel airing ILL.

I have a vast collection of classic television on DVD (mostly just sitcoms and cartoons). It's like a hobby of mine. Anyways, every now and then I try to mimic line-ups from past classic television networks (i.e. Disney Channel, TBS, Nickelodeon/Nick-at-Nite, TV Land), memorable TV blocks or special events like TGIF, Block Party Summer, Lucy: The Queen of the Comedy/Whole Lotta Lucy, The Disney Afternoon/Block Party, SNICK, Fox Kids, Saturday Morning Cartoons, Twice as Nice, Instant Gratification Sundays/To Be Continued Fridays, Nick-at-Nite-mares, Merry-Thon, Boomeroyality, First Things First/Last Things Last, Box Sets, Casey Kasem's Classic TV Countdown, Hooterville Saturdays, etc.

In regards to airplay of I Love Lucy, it airs on MeTV, Decades (sister network to MeTV), and The Hallmark Channel.   

On 2/11/2020 at 10:56 AM, Luvsbway said:

I read this in a Talk magazine (out of print mag) article from 1999.  Lucy in the late 80's was toying with writing a book and was wondering if she should tell stories about her friends and colleagues or not.  Sort of dish the dirt, or actually use real names and not vague references.  She thought what the hell most of them are dead now anyways.  Well she mentions this to Lucie and Lucie says that maybe she should talk to a therapist to get through some of her feelings and get an understanding on what she would like to say.  Well Lucy just flips out and no way, no how is going to see a shrink.  In her time if that got in the papers you were seeing a shrink everyone thought you were crazy.  Well Lucie admits she was talking to one and Lucy just hit the roof.  This was apparently in Palm Springs.  Lucie said she had to pack up and take the kids and leave.  They didn't talk for awhile.

On 2/13/2020 at 4:30 PM, Neil said:

I appreciate Joaquin's somber sincerity, but now I feel guilty putting milk in my coffee!

No one likes to think about the transition from walking-around animal to food on our table.  But considering the source,  I can't order veal or lamb chops.

On 3/5/2020 at 1:19 PM, Luvsbway said:

This is all I've seen.

https://www.licenseglobal.com/apparel-accessories/babalu-i-love-lucy-duets-unique-vintage-collection

Updated listed of items is in that link too.

I heard through the grapevine that the pieces are beautiful. 

Well I'll save a bit of money as I do not wear denim. "Little Ricky Blouse and True-Blue Jeans."

On 3/15/2020 at 6:54 PM, HarryCarter said:

A quick, but unusual interview with Lucy at LaGuardia Airport during the My Favorite Husband era.

I know she has to be cold, but the fiddling with her clothes and digging through her purse is a preview of later Lucy being interviewed. 

On 3/16/2020 at 6:27 PM, Mot Morenzi said:

My cousin and his wife recently had a baby, and I was most delighted to learn they named her Vivian :) 

On 3/23/2020 at 4:02 PM, Luvsbway said:

I do see a weekly Betty White is ok post right now. How is Dick Van Dyke?

On 3/23/2020 at 2:04 PM, Freddie2 said:

Very cool- especially Bernie Kopell and the Carole/Tom connection. I enjoy Middleditch but have only ever seen Sara Rue on the one season comeback show that Reba did with Lily Tomlin a few years back. I’m generally wary of Chuck Lorre shows but if it makes it to air I’ll give it a watch. It’s too bad they don’t air or stream unsold pilots like they used to. I’d love to see Carol Burnett’s show from a year or two ago.

On 3/23/2020 at 4:01 PM, Luvsbway said:

When I did my watch every episode in order. The tv fights by the comedy hours and harshness was something I noted. Mexico has it as well. And it wasn't just Desi but Lucy came across as harsh too. 58' things were going downhill. Real life anger had to tinge some of those comedic fights. They both seemed to not be able to bring the lightness. You knew even when the Ricardos fought they still loved each other. The Comedy Hours, I'd be worried for them.

52 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I have a vast collection of classic television on DVD (mostly just sitcoms and cartoons). It's like a hobby of mine. Anyways, every now and then I try to mimic line-ups from past classic television networks (i.e. Disney Channel, TBS, Nickelodeon/Nick-at-Nite, TV Land), memorable TV blocks or special events like TGIF, Block Party Summer, Lucy: The Queen of the Comedy/Whole Lotta Lucy, The Disney Afternoon/Block Party, SNICK, Fox Kids, Saturday Morning Cartoons, Twice as Nice, Instant Gratification Sundays/To Be Continued Fridays, Nick-at-Nite-mares, Merry-Thon, Boomeroyality, First Things First/Last Things Last, Box Sets, Casey Kasem's Classic TV Countdown, Hooterville Saturdays, etc.

In regards to airplay of I Love Lucy, it airs on MeTV, Decades (sister network to MeTV), and The Hallmark Channel.   

...and CBS All Access (not free) and Hulu.... 😇

Today (3/28/20):

Episodes 1-4: "Lucy Thinks Ricky Is Trying To Murder Her", "The Girls Want To Go To a Nightclub", "Be a Pal" & "The Diet"

Late Evening (3/28/20):

Episodes 69-72: "Lucy and Ethel Buy the Same Dress", "Equal Rights", "Baby Pictures" and "Lucy Tells the Truth"

Early this Morning (3/29/20):

Episodes 37-38: "The Handcuffs" and "The Operetta" (followed by The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour episode, "Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havanna")

3/30/20 (early, early morning):

Episodes 74-75: "Redecorating the Mertzes' Apartment" and "Too Many Crooks"

• 3 weeks later...

Late last night (4/21/20):

"Ricky's Hawaiian Vacation", "Lucy Is Envious" and "Lucy Writes a Novel" (Episodes #88-90)

4/22/20:

Woke up with "California, Here We Come!" on and been "binge-ing" (via watching or listening) the show. Went through eleven episodes, concluding with"Bullfight Dance" and the first part of "Hollywood Anniversary". (Episodes #110-120)

4/23/30 (very early morning):

"The Million Dollar Idea", "Charm School", "Sentimental Anniversary", & "Lucy Meets Orson Welles", "Little Ricky Gets Stage Fright", "Little Ricky Learns to Play the Drums" (Episodes #79, #81, #82, #155-157)

4/23/30 (morning):

Woke up with "Lucy Writes a Play" and watched/listened to that in addition to "Breaking the Lease", "The Young Fans", "Cuban Pals" and "The Publicity Agent" (Episodes #17, #18, #20, #28, #31)

4/23/30 (afternoon):

"Ricky Has Labor Pains","Lucy Becomes a Sculptress", "Sales Resistance", "The Inferiority Complex" (Episode #49-50, #52-53)

4/23/30 (evening):

"Ricky Minds the Baby", "Fan Magazine Interview", "Tennessee Ernie Visits", "Tennessee Ernie Hangs On", "Mertz and Kurtz", "Nursery School", "Ricky's European Booking" (Episodes: #80, #83, #94-95, #102, #136-137)

LUCY! LUCY! LUCY!

THE I LOVE LUCY FRENZY BUG BINGE CONTINUES ...

4/24/20 (very early morning, overnight):

"The Passports", "Staten Island Ferry", "Bon Voyage", "Second Honeymoon", "The Marriage License", "Lucy's Schedule", "Paris at Last", "Pioneer Women", "Lucy Gets a Paris Gown", "Lucy In the Swiss Alps" (Episodes #138-141, #26, #33, #145, #25, #147-148)

4/24/20 (morning):

Woke up this morning ... "Lucy Raises Chickens", "Lucy Does the Tango", "Building a Barbecue", "Lucy Raises Tulips", "Lucy Thinks Ricky Is Trying To Murder Her", "The Girls Want To Go To a Nightclub", "The Quiz Show", "Men Are Messy" (Episodes #171-172, #176, #178, #1-2, #5, #8)

• 2 weeks later...

5/3/20 (Early Morning): I Love Lucy Mini-Marathon

"Building a Barbecue", "The Golf Game", "The Tour", and ended up falling asleep with "Lucy's Bicycle Trip" (Episodes: 176, 96, 127, 151).

(Preceded by a Here's Lucy mini-marathon consisting of the following episodes: Lucy and Carol Burnett: Secretary Beautiful, Lucy and Wayne Newton, Lucy Takes Over, Lucy and Uncle Harry's Pot, Lucy and the Franchise Fiasco, Lucy Goes To Prison)

14 hours ago, JoeySoCal said:

In Hollywood:

1. #122 "Star Upstairs"
  2. #123 "Palm Springs"
  3. #124 "Dancing Star
  4. #125 "Harpo Marx"

4 of the absolute best.

Which was I Love Lucy's most stellar month?  I'm narrowing it down to two:  March or May of 1955?

March:  LA at Last, Don Juan and Starlets,  Lucy Gets in Pictures,  Fashion Show

May:  Dancing Star, Harpo Marx, Ricky's Agent, The Tour   

The May 30th airing of "The Tour" (Episode #127) was the last new episode of the 30 for the season and the last by just the three writers.    Many series were still doing 39.  

This season four talk has me hankering to re-watch, but (in an act of uncharacteristically good will), I lent all of my fourth season DVDs to some friends to enjoy during this lockdown. All of I Love Lucy's seasons are pretty much perfect, but has there been a more perfect TV season than what they did in 1954-55? Some shows are hilarious, but few are as re-watchable and memorable. My father always orders a Cobb Salad based solely on the fact that William Holden ordered one in "LA"; how's that for iconic?

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 4:43 PM, Freddie2 said:

This season four talk has me hankering to re-watch, but (in an act of uncharacteristically good will), I lent all of my fourth season DVDs to some friends to enjoy during this lockdown. All of I Love Lucy's seasons are pretty much perfect, but has there been a more perfect TV season than what they did in 1954-55? Some shows are hilarious, but few are as re-watchable and memorable. My father always orders a Cobb Salad based solely on the fact that William Holden ordered one in "LA"; how's that for iconic?

Very well put and you are so right. Were it not for this episode I don't know if I would know what a Cobb salad is.   If I ever see "Veal Cutlet Marco Polo" on any menu, I will order it. Isn't that what Fred ordered?  Lucy had the spaghetti of course.  I don't remember what Ethel ordered. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil said:

Very well put and you are so right. Were it not for this episode I don't know if I would know what a Cobb salad is.   If I ever see "Veal Cutlet Marco Polo" on any menu, I will order it. Isn't that what Fred ordered?  Lucy had the spaghetti of course.  I don't remember what Ethel ordered. 

I think Ethel ordered the same meal as Lucy. It's always bugged me that Lucy never received her Derby Tossed Salad. 

• 4 weeks later...

I happened to be up this morning at 6:30 and caught "First Stop".  Though there were at least 2 multi-minute breaks (4 min. each?), I couldn't detect what was cut.   It is such a perfect episode, one where all four get their moments to shine.  What I love about it is the conversational nature of the dialogue.  Witty and funny without being jokey or leading up to punchlines.  Whoever cast Mr. Skinner deserves special kudos. 

Last weekend at a bonfire we utilized my friends' new outdoor projector, and one of the selections was "Job Switching". I was the only person who'd seen it before, but there were laughs all around (no shocker there). The candy wrapping scene was, of course, immediately recognizable to all because of the countless homages. It really might be the perfect I Love Lucy episode. It doesn't feature some of the more iconic themes of the series, like Lucy's desire to get into show business or the struggles of parenthood, but it's a great showcase for every member of the fab foursome, and its commentary on the gender roles of the 50s is almost too perfect. I've definitely mentioned it before, but my mother always shows this episode to her US history class during their coverage of the decade. Everyone present had seen ILL before (you can't be friends with me and not have seen the show), but to be around when people are experiencing a classic episode for the first time is always a real treat.

• Like 2