1970's Specials - Picture Quality

I am very appreciative of all the MPI releases which have been taking place - both Here's Lucy and the subsequent specials.

But I have to say that the picture quality of the filmed specials is a little sub-standard. The Here's Lucy episodes are bright and have very few video "anomalies" as far as I can see. But the specials that were shot on film are another story.

The odd thing is: The older shows look better than the specials shot later. Also, some of the technical crew were the same, so you would think that they would be working to the same professional standards that they always had.

Could it simply be that more care was taken in the mastering process with Here's Lucy? Or were the original picture elements of the tv series stored more carefully ?

Again, I don't want to sound like a complainer. But I really have noticed the difference in picture quality.

A long shot, but were the other specials shot on 16mm ??? and later blown up to 35mm ??? That could account for inferior picture quality.

Picture quality, shmickter quality, at last we havee the damned things on DVD, finally! My God, we were watching copies of copies of copies that had changed formats three times, so to most of us, this is an improvement anyway!

I too am glad to have these specials after so many years.

My only reason for bringing up the subject is that I was curious why the older tv episodes look better than the (filmed) specials shot a few years later. I would have thought the reverse would be true.

My guess is that more money was spent on mastering the tv episodes.

I too am glad to have these specials after so many years.

My only reason for bringing up the subject is that I was curious why the older tv episodes look better than the (filmed) specials shot a few years later. I would have thought the reverse would be true.

My guess is that more money was spent on mastering the tv episodes.

Probably, i'm sure they sell more of the series than they do her specials anyway and they will keep on selling for decades to come whereas some of the specials that have come out from other people only seem to come out one time and then you never see them again when formats change. I'm referring to thsoe great Jack Benny and Danny Kaye specials from around the same time or a decade earlier.

Archived