Lucie and Desi Jr. Photos

HarryCarter

Saw this on the Museum's Facebook today.

A special painting from Desi Arnaz for his daughter

“I was at my father’s house on the beach in Del Mar, California, where my brother, Desi, and I always spent the summers. I came down with a really nasty flu bug and was told I had to stay in bed. To a kid of about eight or nine during their summer vacation on a beautiful sunny day at the beach, this was like a death sentence. To cheer me up, Dad took my favorite stuffed animal and went upstairs to the ‘studio’ he had created in a small corner of his bedroom and painted this wonderful, silly little bear for me. It not only cheered me up, but what touched me the most was that he, too, spent many hours off the beach and away from the sand and sea that he also loved just to make it for me.

He was a very unusual and generous parent. As far as his artistic ability is concerned, if anyone should say it’s not very good, keep in mind what Pablo Picasso once said, ‘My critics say I draw like a child. When I was a child, I drew like Raphael. It took the rest of my life to learn to draw like a child.’” - Lucie Arnaz

Happy Father's Day!

paint7.jpg

• Like 2