Here's Lucy: Season Four -- Reviews and First Impressions

Nothing is WRONG with Sandy Duncan -- well, except that one thing, poor woman! -- but Jo Anne is just much groovier. ;)

You know, eye discrimination is just as bad as calling someone RETARDED or making FAT jokes, i say we Sandy Duncan fans must rise up and eliminate the injustice ONE EYED people get in this world of entertainment, shame on you Brockie, you have to start LOOKING at things differently, keep your eye on the Duncan, eye really think you have to look to Desi who used to sing her praises all the time with his appropriate catch phrase, Aye aye aye aye aye!

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But don't get too :gale2: because :desijr: is underage and if the cops catch you it's :lucywow: , :obrien: , :vanda: , and :angry: , then :lucyeww:

I know, scary ain't it? But i found my own little :desijr: and even though he's 25 years my junior and i beat Lucy in the robbing the cradle game, I'm :sid: so i thank my lucky stars that he makes me feel like i've still got some of that :desijr: in me.

Can someone please tell me about how Deep Discount ships packages? I know it took my money so it better have shipped!

I've only used them a few times, but I have to tell you, in this most recent case where I bought my HLS4 from them, I thought they were great! :D

I didn't order until Sunday, March 20, got a notice that it was shipped on Tuesday, March 22 with the "5 to 10 days shipping" statement on the notice and despite the official release date until Tuesday, March 29, I got mine DAYS earlier than that! Cool, no? So good luck to you!!

My only gripe with them and it's a minor one as there wasn't anything wrong with the DVDs, is that instead of using a padded pack type envelope, they put theirs in sort of super-tight all the air vacuum squeezed out of it, like you see on those ads for those food bags! It looks funny, but it seemed to work okay! lucyhorror.JPG

You know, eye discrimination is just as bad as calling someone RETARDED or making FAT jokes, i say we Sandy Duncan fans must rise up and eliminate the injustice ONE EYED people get in this world of entertainment, shame on you Brockie, you have to start LOOKING at things differently, keep your eye on the Duncan, eye really think you have to look to Desi who used to sing her praises all the time with his appropriate catch phrase, Aye aye aye aye aye!

I saw Sandy and Rosie O'Donnell in a production of "No, No Nanette" a few years ago and Sandy's official bio in the Playbill included the line "And, no, Sandy Duncan does not have a glass eye." :marionstrong:

Fantastic DVD set as always! Although the fifth season is my favorite overall, a majority of my favorite episodes are from the fourth season.

I want to run right out and get some Lifebuoy soap!

I saw Sandy and Rosie O'Donnell in a production of "No, No Nanette" a few years ago and Sandy's official bio in the Playbill included the line "And, no, Sandy Duncan does not have a glass eye." :marionstrong:

Fantastic DVD set as always! Although the fifth season is my favorite overall, a majority of my favorite episodes are from the fourth season.

I want to run right out and get some Lifebuoy soap!

I used to use Lifebuoy soap as a kid, it had that clean GYMnasium feeling to it. I never thought Sandy had a glass eye, i just said she had only one eye that worked, like Sammy Davis. They used to buy binoculors together and break them up and each take one lens. :blink::ph34r:B)

Yes, we do appreciate the work that has gone into these DVDs, and we show that appreciation by buying them with our hard earned money. But - we would like the opportunity to view UNEDITED versions of the episodes. Vintage commercials are fine, but they should have been put as on-their-own extras, or as an option to on the menu to include them as part of the episodes.

Yes, we do appreciate the work that has gone into these DVDs, and we show that appreciation by buying them with our hard earned money. But - we would like the opportunity to view UNEDITED versions of the episodes. Vintage commercials are fine, but they should have been put as on-their-own extras, or as an option to on the menu to include them as part of the episodes.

I disagree, i don't like watching any commercials vintage or otherwise, BUT, these are an experience as they take you back to another era and give you the FEEL of what it was like back then, some even star people from the Lucy orbit.

I take responsibility for this. Because we got such good reaction from the fans on MOTHERS-IN-LAW for doing this, I pushed to have commercials included on one episode per disc - pulled directly from Lucy's 35mm air prints (which I personally went through in my spare time) as a surprise to the Lucy fans for their loyalty to the Redhead and these DVDs. This represents an opportunity fans will NEVER have again to experience the programs in their original context - making them a true time machine.

Unfortunately, making it optional was not an option, but I felt it better to let people have the material and be able to chapter forward if they didn't want to see it. Sorry you were disappointed by it, but I hope you enjoy all the hard work that went into these sets by all involved.

Best Regards,

Dan Wingate

Hey Dan! I'm actually one of the people that LOVES that this was done. It truly is a time machine and made me feel like I was back watching it the way it was originally shown. I am a big fan of THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW set because of this as well. And the quality of the commercials is great. I love that vintage feel. So thanks for going through the extra trouble of doing this. Hopefully, more will be included in the last 2 sets. :)

By the way, I can't believe Dinah never recorded "Don't Let The Good Life Pass You By". Loved seeing her sing that on the HL episode.

Hey Dan! I'm actually one of the people that LOVES that this was done. It truly is a time machine and made me feel like I was back watching it the way it was originally shown. I am a big fan of THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW set because of this as well. And the quality of the commercials is great. I love that vintage feel. So thanks for going through the extra trouble of doing this. Hopefully, more will be included in the last 2 sets. :)

By the way, I can't believe Dinah never recorded "Don't Let The Good Life Pass You By". Loved seeing her sing that on the HL episode.

Geez, just hearing you mention that show makes me want to go watch it right now, such a great one.

Because we got such good reaction from the fans on MOTHERS-IN-LAW for doing this, I pushed to have commercials included on one episode per disc - pulled directly from Lucy's 35mm air prints (which I personally went through in my spare time)

Thoroughly enjoyed those time capsules, especially the commercials with familiar faces, i.e., Jesse White, Christopher Hewett, etc.

just got my DVD set and this is turning out to have some of my FAVORITE shows so far lolol

and Im not even full into the season yet lol

These shows seem so polished and classic-

"Lucy and Flip"

"Lucy and Harry;s Italian Bombshell"

"Lucy and Mannix"

were all great!

These shows, ESPECIALLY "Harry's Italian Bombshell" seemed sooo laid back and so comfortable, it didn't seem like a "YELL AND PROJECT YOUR LINES AND HURRY UP AND ACT SO WE CAN GET TO THE MAIN PRAT FALL" kinda show I thought plagued some of the earlier shows.

Yes, it was another "beat up Harry like a rag doll" show-but it wasnt extreme.

Almost the way Ethel trained Lucy in season1 of ILL. Though it was wacky, it was well understood and didn't seem silly.

GALE GORDON BLEW ME AWAY IN LUCY AND MANNIX LOL- He seems to have really lost weight, and he looks very very handsome- ooo la la!

He seems to have a lot of energy in these shows, usually He sounds a bit...um...relaxed lol

In Astronauts he skips out like he just took a puff of some ganjah while leaving lol

So far "The Mountain Climber" was a bit of an extreme, seemed like something we'd see in The Lucy Show.

It's the same kind of, what I call, "cartoon" writing, absurd plot with little believability and bad jokes that's only saved by the actors delivery.

Lucy and The Astronauts was an entertaining episode...for vaudeville in the 70's- it worked-but I CANT STAND the shows where Lucy is bossy and pushy

-a busy body getting in every ones way out of ignorance- it takes away the naiveté, charm and femininity of the Lucy character which are three,of many, major traits. Her voice has gotten deeper, so anything to bring out these traits makes the character more likeable-FOR ME- Like in Harry's IBMBSHELL" Lucy looks GORGEOUS ALL THROUGH THE SHOW-she seems a little pushy, but she's still really feminine looking- ANY WAY-I liked Lucy's bad singing, but I also liked the astronaut who sang right after her- his voice was awesome- and Roy Roberts, the doctor? never ages! It's nice to see and hear him-

Onto

Lucy Makes A Few Extra Dollars :)

just got my DVD set and this is turning out to have some of my FAVORITE shows so far lolol

and Im not even full into the season yet lol

These shows seem so polished and classic-

"Lucy and Flip"

"Lucy and Harry;s Italian Bombshell"

"Lucy and Mannix"

were all great!

These shows, ESPECIALLY "Harry's Italian Bombshell" seemed sooo laid back and so comfortable, it didn't seem like a "YELL AND PROJECT YOUR LINES AND HURRY UP AND ACT SO WE CAN GET TO THE MAIN PRAT FALL" kinda show I thought plagued some of the earlier shows.

Yes, it was another "beat up Harry like a rag doll" show-but it wasnt extreme.

Almost the way Ethel trained Lucy in season1 of ILL. Though it was wacky, it was well understood and didn't seem silly.

GALE GORDON BLEW ME AWAY IN LUCY AND MANNIX LOL- He seems to have really lost weight, and he looks very very handsome- ooo la la!

He seems to have a lot of energy in these shows, usually He sounds a bit...um...relaxed lol

In Astronauts he skips out like he just took a puff of some ganjah while leaving lol

So far "The Mountain Climber" was a bit of an extreme, seemed like something we'd see in The Lucy Show.

It's the same kind of, what I call, "cartoon" writing, absurd plot with little believability and bad jokes that's only saved by the actors delivery.

Lucy and The Astronauts was an entertaining episode...for vaudeville in the 70's- it worked-but I CANT STAND the shows where Lucy is bossy and pushy

-a busy body getting in every ones way out of ignorance- it takes away the naiveté, charm and femininity of the Lucy character which are three,of many, major traits. Her voice has gotten deeper, so anything to bring out these traits makes the character more likeable-FOR ME- Like in Harry's IBMBSHELL" Lucy looks GORGEOUS ALL THROUGH THE SHOW-she seems a little pushy, but she's still really feminine looking- ANY WAY-I liked Lucy's bad singing, but I also liked the astronaut who sang right after her- his voice was awesome- and Roy Roberts, the doctor? never ages! It's nice to see and hear him-

Onto

Lucy Makes A Few Extra Dollars :)

Love your reviews. Hey, tell me, is Lucy and Flip clearer than the episode on the original MPI Here's Lucy Greatest Episodes that it came in?

Love your reviews. Hey, tell me, is Lucy and Flip clearer than the episode on the original MPI Here's Lucy Greatest Episodes that it came in?

I wish that these episodes had tape dates like on The Lucy Show. They end the season so early, like in late February/early March.

Do they start taping again in May/June?

I wish that these episodes had tape dates like on The Lucy Show. They end the season so early, like in late February/early March.

Do they start taping again in May/June?

Got it! Already watched the Flip episode last week so now to start with Mountain Climber.

Thanks Deep Discount for free shipping. All I can say about that is, "DUH, WINNING!"

You know I'm not so sure if it's clearer, but it kinda looks like it.

Almost as if it's more vibrant and more sharper, but I'm sure it's nothing but the thrill of seeing

Again lol ...or maybe they did do another small nip and tuck lol

These DVD makers are brilliant with the show, almost as if they recognize the inevitable, that Here's Lucy will be in

Demand for decades, and they're covering all basis with these shows :) BTW this DVD set is just laced with

Bonuses that are amazing!!! Just amazing!!!

Now onto

"Lucy Makes A Few Dollars" .....hmha..ha......haha.....lolololol....

If I were Harry, I'd have moved the entire business in the middle of the night and never see her but on holidays. I hate this one lol. Lucie does good though "waking me up in the middle of the night for plans abc&d.....and e" lol

This one made no sense to me lol Lucy's entire savings go up in smoke before her very eyes and yet

She leaps and smiles over a 5bonus?

I've found looking at Lucy read her lines off cue cards, off camera, isn't annoying anymore

But very funny.

Dinah Shore was soooo pleasant! Just radiant and talented-don't shoot me, but this was my first time seeing her in anything besides a YouTube video of her singing blues in the night, but this was very refreshing to see lol Predictable, but entertaining.

Lucy and The Nuns

It's a very nice script but it's not handled well- it's not the A material it could have been.

Some one else could have played Harrys sister. We usually see Mary Wicks in funnier stuff than this on the show, especially as a different character-

So this was both a little underwhelming and out of synch with her other "more believable" roles on the show. Just my opinion.

Umm what else?

Hearing Lucy SCREETCh "Heeeehrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeey" was getting annoying lol Hearing her do this makes me want to clear my throat lol

Sometimes some of these episodes give a Carol Burnetfte vibe, because all of the same well known

Character actors keep coming back in different roles. It's almost like "Here's Lucy & Her Team Players"

This episode needed the character MaryJane in Kim's stead.

Ginger Rogers is one of my favorites. I loved the singing, the dancing, the sets, the music and the jokes so much that I never thought about any flaws, I guess it was because there were none. Nice show.

Watching Lucy and the celebrities now and Lucy is channeling her. Liz Cugat days by doing those different characters at the studio window lol

Now onto

"Lucy Makes A Few Dollars" .....hmha..ha......haha.....lolololol....

If I were Harry, I'd have moved the entire business in the middle of the night and never see her but on holidays. I hate this one lol. Lucie does good though "waking me up in the middle of the night for plans abc&d.....and e" lol

This one made no sense to me lol Lucy's entire savings go up in smoke before her very eyes and yet

She leaps and smiles over a 5bonus?

I thought the same thing about the way the episode ended.

By the way, I noticed some noise in the scene where Kim is a waitress. Was that just something they couldn't fix? Maybe the audio was badly damaged on this one.

As I said yesterday, I got it! Winning! There may be SPOILERS so do not read if you don't want to be spoiled.

I think I'm halfway through. Here's my review of the first several episodes

4x01: Lucy & Mannix: Very good, loved the bit when they were tied up trying to use the phone--and Lucy naming all of the office plants

4x02: Candid Camera: Good, but I would've thought there would be a better ending, and also some sort of consequence to stealing all those mink coats

4x03: Italian Bombshell: Great, especially when Lucy and Kim had to use the office as temporary sleeping quarters in case Donna came there. I had a feeling she would be overweight and not really beautiful. BTW since my family is of Italian heritage, Donna means "woman" in Italian.

4x04: Lucy Makes a Few Extra Dollars: Great! I loved the carnival scene when Lucy was in the dunk tank. But the end was devastating! I would've made Harry reimburse me for burning my life savings.

4x05: Lucy and the Astronauts: Great! I loved when they were all trying to sleep and Lucy started singing. And I laughed out loud at one of the guys saying "Quit being a smart astronaut." I thought he was going to say "smart-ASS." And I thought they would all go "shut up" at the end when they had to stay longer courtesy of Lucy and she started singing again.

4x06: Lucy and her all nun band: Another good performance by Kathleen Freeman. Did anyone catch the bit in Harry's office at the beginning when the camera pans over as Lucy walks to her desk and it goes a tad too far and we can clearly see the camera on the left? Why couldn't they have cropped that out somehow. Just like in "Lucy and the Monsters" when we can briefly see the face of a crew member, and in "Lucy Thinks Ricky is trying to murder her" when one of the cameras is in the shot for a second. Hopefully Brock can post this screencap from the Nun episode because I don't know how. Aside from that, how did Lucy pull off the performance at the end when she wasn't even playing the saxophone? And poor Harry when he had to pay for the Sisters to fly and that was FINAL according to Lucy.

4x07: Someone's On the Ski Lift: It was all right, my favorite part was when Lucy and Dinah were stuck on the ski lift singing. Yeah I lolzed when she jumped off but felt bad for her for doing it at the worst possible time--when the ski lift got fixed.

4x08: Lucy and the Mountain Climber: Ehh, not one of my favorites, but I lolzed at when Lucy's rope got pulled up somehow and Harry getting pick-axed.

4x09: Lucy and Flip: All right, favorite bits were Lucy trying to get into his office.

4x10: Ginger Rogers: Pretty good, I liked the movie theatre scenes the best

4x11: Lucy's Lucky Day: Um idk what to say about this one--just that it was great

4x12: Lucy and the Celebrities: Great episode, very similar to "Harpo Marx" and "Lawrence welk." I thought it was crazy when Lucy reluctantly picked up the phone to Harry screaming over the line. O_o And hopefully Lucy didn't lose the case because they illegally used a celebrities voice! And lolz when she tried to get into the movie studios in various disguises.

4x13: Lucy In the Jungle: Why was this such a poor episode? It was pretty good, especially with the parrot. But fake animals make it look so bad! I think it was better than "Lucy's Safari."

4x14: Lucy's Bonus Bounces: Epic especially when Craig fainted over the phone because Harry gave Lucy a 50 dollar a week raise. Just because of that little sound effect used. And this line was funny "And he doesn't know I don't know but I know I'll know before he knows I don't know, that I know!"

4x14: Lucy's Bonus Bounces: Epic especially when Craig fainted over the phone because Harry gave Lucy a 50 dollar a week raise. Just because of that little sound effect used. And this line was funny "And he doesn't know I don't know but I know I'll know before he knows I don't know, that I know!"

I haven't made it to that episode yet. So Craig comes back?

And, I'm guessing you meant Mary Wickes for the "all-nun band" episode?

Archived