Comedy Is A Serious Business

Brock

I've always loved this number and often find it getting stuck in my head, too! Despite the frustrations and troubles she had with this number, Lucy is really terrific here (and doesn't she look sensational at 76 years old!). Claude, I think - but I'm not 100% positive - that at some point during the dance sequence Lucy did stop out of frustration because she was having some trouble with the steps and keeping up with the other dancers. This was also days before she had her stroke. Regardless, Lucy looks fantastic and gives a phenomenal performance!

I've always loved this number and often find it getting stuck in my head, too! Despite the frustrations and troubles she had with this number, Lucy is really terrific here (and doesn't she look sensational at 76 years old!). Claude, I think - but I'm not 100% positive - that at some point during the dance sequence Lucy did stop out of frustration because she was having some trouble with the steps and keeping up with the other dancers. This was also days before she had her stroke. Regardless, Lucy looks fantastic and gives a phenomenal performance!

Yeah, i think it's on one of my In Memoriam tapes that she is shown stopping the number and then having to redo it, but still getting a standing ovation from that friendly crowd on the second try. Maggie, i know you sent me a PM but it went through my e mail and i did not see it or get it HERE and wiped out the e mail as i was going to see it here, which i couln't, just don't want you to think i did not answer.

Yeah, i think it's on one of my In Memoriam tapes that she is shown stopping the number and then having to redo it, but still getting a standing ovation from that friendly crowd on the second try. Maggie, i know you sent me a PM but it went through my e mail and i did not see it or get it HERE and wiped out the e mail as i was going to see it here, which i couln't, just don't want you to think i did not answer.

Don't worry! :) I accidentally deleted the email that said you'd sent me a PM, too, because I JUST noticed (sorry!!) that I do have a new PM from you. So hopefully you won't think I'm rude for being so late to reply!

Don't worry! :) I accidentally deleted the email that said you'd sent me a PM, too, because I JUST noticed (sorry!!) that I do have a new PM from you. So hopefully you won't think I'm rude for being so late to reply!

Just want you to know that you have always been one of my favorite people on these boards and we go back all the way to Lucy Talk. Love you and thank you here publicly for what you said on one of those PMs. I also deeply respect your opinion on anything Lucy and i offer as an example, your Robert Osborne comments here, they set me straight, my memory is sometimes faulty or overly analytical but sometimes in error.

Just want you to know that you have always been one of my favorite people on these boards and we go back all the way to Lucy Talk. Love you and thank you here publicly for what you said on one of those PMs. I also deeply respect your opinion on anything Lucy and i offer as an example, your Robert Osborne comments here, they set me straight, my memory is sometimes faulty or overly analytical but sometimes in error.

Right back at ya!! :):lucydesi:

Wow! So great to see! It's amazing how fantastic she looks here, you would never have thought she would have collapsed after this performance. She looks so healthy and active. Really makes me sad to think what happened after this performance :(

Wow! So great to see! It's amazing how fantastic she looks here, you would never have thought she would have collapsed after this performance. She looks so healthy and active. Really makes me sad to think what happened after this performance :(

It's normal to feel WINDED when going through a stressful routine, she felt it so badly that she had to stop the number and start again, should have been a warning for her of what was to come, all that damned smoking finally took it's toll on her almost eighty year old body, i'm surprised she lasted that long. I think the fact that she always swam and kept herself in shape helped.

It's normal to feel WINDED when going through a stressful routine, she felt it so badly that she had to stop the number and start again, should have been a warning for her of what was to come, all that damned smoking finally took it's toll on her almost eighty year old body, i'm surprised she lasted that long. I think the fact that she always swam and kept herself in shape helped.

So obviously it wasn't filmed live in that case?

I don't remember hearing that she had to stop the number and start from from the beginning. I believe all the musical numbers in the special were filmed twice - once infront of an a live audience and once without the following day.

Ok, so maybe what ET showed us that time which i have on dvd was the rehearsal and therefore it didn't matter that she stopped the number claiming she was worn out, i think her exact words were ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME? But i did read in a book that the celebrity audience gave her a standing O the second time she did the number as well so i thought it was both. Maybe the person writing that in the book was fooled as i was by the editing and the stopping the number was at the rehearsal and then she did the number without stopping at the taping.

Stopping or not stopping this is one of my favorite Lucy musical numbers and this is her best later career performance. This is a fun number that even got an Emmy nomination. Despite smoking; Lucy did keep healthy in other ways and I think living to 77 is pretty good and is the average life expentancy. Her Mom did live until her 80s though so maybe she could have lasted another five to ten years, but who knows.

Stopping or not stopping this is one of my favorite Lucy musical numbers and this is her best later career performance. This is a fun number that even got an Emmy nomination. Despite smoking; Lucy did keep healthy in other ways and I think living to 77 is pretty good and is the average life expentancy. Her Mom did live until her 80s though so maybe she could have lasted another five to ten years, but who knows.

The number got an Emmy nomination?? What category? Did it win?

Starting and stopping; and having trouble with steps is not uncommon for variety show performers half her age.

I've always loved this number, because among other things she's doing her own singing and it's not pre-recorded. Her 76-yr-old voice is what it is, but I love that she just lets loose. She sounds better here than in "Mame"!

Ranks up there with her greatest musical performances. Her best since "Gypsy in my Soul". All the greater because as it turned out, it was her last hurrah.

The number got an Emmy nomination?? What category? Did it win?

Starting and stopping; and having trouble with steps is not uncommon for variety show performers half her age.

I've always loved this number, because among other things she's doing her own singing and it's not pre-recorded. Her 76-yr-old voice is what it is, but I love that she just lets loose. She sounds better here than in "Mame"!

Ranks up there with her greatest musical performances. Her best since "Gypsy in my Soul". All the greater because as it turned out, it was her last hurrah.

Well said, the timing was sometimes a bit off for Gypsy but just right here, great great number that's always been one of my all time faves of hers also.

What a delightful performance B) . She looks wonderful! I know there is always much made of her eyes, lips & red hair being her best features but her legs were always so pretty, too. Hard to believe she is in her late 70's here.

Thanks so much for posting this! :D

True, when she was with Joan Rivers on tv she was able to take the compliment about her great legs, that was one area that never failed her till the end. I noticed that she had many of her evening gowns cut to show them off too.

Outstanding Achievement in Music and Lyrics

WINNER

Julie Andrews: The Sound of Christmas: Larry Grossman (composer), Buz Kohan (lyricist) (ABC)

For the song "The Sound of Christmas".

NOMINEES

-----------------------------

Happy Birthday, Bob: 50 Stars Salute Your 50 Years with NBC: Cy Coleman (composer/lyricist), James Lipton (composer/lyricist) (NBC)

For the song "Comedy Ain't No Joke".

http://www.imdb.com/event/ev0000223/1988

WINNER

Julie Andrews: The Sound of Christmas: Larry Grossman (composer), Buz Kohan (lyricist) (ABC)

NOMINEES

Happy Birthday, Bob: 50 Stars Salute Your 50 Years with NBC: Cy Coleman (composer/lyricist), James Lipton (composer/lyricist) (NBC)

Wow, Cy Coleman, her old Wildcat composer and James Lipton, the Actor's Studio guy who asks the stupid questions??? What a strange combo.

WINNER

NOMINEES

So there were only TWO nominees?

Evidently Lucy singing an original song on TV is good luck for the composers (who might at first question their luck when they find out their song is to be sung by Lucille Ball). The clever "Leading Lady" from her Donnie and Marie appearance was also nominated.

NOT nominated: "Wingding", "Steamboat Bessie", "Main Street USA" the "Mai Oui" jingle---the first three probably before there was such a category as original song.

Archived