Here's Lucy: Lucy's Big Break

I don't think the over-teased wigs, extensive face and eye make-up and the Irma skull-cap pull were necessary and think she looked better without.

Well, Iargely I guess I agree, not to put Irma down or anything, I mean after a certain point...there was only so much she could do! Besides, I think what "aged" her look so much was whether or not she was wearing her false eyelashes: you can go back to pictures from the early 40s when she was barely in her 30s and if she wasn't wearing, them she looked like she'd aged ten years!!

Of course, by the 70s, smoking and boozing all those years didn't help her looks any either. :marionstrong:

I don't think other shows filmed as far in advance like "Lucy". Unlike other series, here was never any doubt that the show would be picked up for the next season and for the full year.

Well...until the end of (well, more likely, sometime during) season six, when they were told they wouldn't be picked up!

:lucyshock:

Well, Iargely I guess I agree, not to put Irma down or anything, I mean after a certain point...there was only so much she could do! Besides, I think what "aged" her look so much was whether or not she was wearing her false eyelashes: you can go back to pictures from the early 40s when she was barely in her 30s and if she wasn't wearing, them she looked like she'd aged ten years!!

Of course, by the 70s, smoking and boozing all those years didn't help her looks any either. :marionstrong:

Well...until the end of (well, more likely, sometime during) season six, when they were told they wouldn't be picked up!

:lucyshock:

But she expected that anyway as she knew SIX years was always the cut off point, she had enough product to sell the series and this one she owned outright so . . . and the SMOKING aged her all right, inside and out, not so much the social drinking she did, she wasn't an alcoholic or anything. I too LOVED the hair in Big Break and i agree the way she tackled it with that brush made it look like it was all HER. Also i wish you guys would stop referring to Bob and Madelyn as B/M which always makes me think of Bowel Movement and they deserve better. :lucydisgust:

The summer following the first 3 seasons, "HL" was replaced by "TLS" reruns in the summer*

And here's a trivia question: There was one episode of TLS or HL that ran THREE times in the same season. (there may have been two, now that I think about it)

The summer following the last year of "The Lucy Show" was the first time a Lucy series did not have a separate summer replacement. They ran some episodes from past seasons that summer and it was this same batch that replaced Here's Lucy during the summer for the next three years. I don't remember all of them, but with the exception of Danfield-based "Mechanical Man" (making it the first filmed-in-color/originally-broadcast in b/w episode to finally air in color), they were all from the California years mostly with guest stars: Dean Martin, Danny Thomas, Meets the Berles, Wayne Newton, John Wayne, Joan Blondell/Ironman 1, Phil Harris One year they ran "Lucy Gets Mooney Fired". I mention "Mechanical Man" because in the TV Guide review of "Here's Lucy" the critic mentions this one as if it was a Here's Lucy episode. After that one nighttime rerun in 1968, "Mechanical" was not run again as part of "the Lucy Show" as a Here's Lucy summer replacement.

I'll answer my own trivia question: "Lucy Meets the Berles" was the episode that ran three times in the same season. I think this is the only one that had three same-season airings, but I'm wondering whether "Meets the Burtons" might have also.

The summer following the last year of "The Lucy Show" was the first time a Lucy series did not have a separate summer replacement. They ran some episodes from past seasons that summer and it was this same batch that replaced Here's Lucy during the summer for the next three years. I don't remember all of them, but with the exception of Danfield-based "Mechanical Man" (making it the first filmed-in-color/originally-broadcast in b/w episode to finally air in color), they were all from the California years mostly with guest stars: Dean Martin, Danny Thomas, Meets the Berles, Wayne Newton, John Wayne, Joan Blondell/Ironman 1, Phil Harris One year they ran "Lucy Gets Mooney Fired". I mention "Mechanical Man" because in the TV Guide review of "Here's Lucy" the critic mentions this one as if it was a Here's Lucy episode. After that one nighttime rerun in 1968, "Mechanical" was not run again as part of "the Lucy Show" as a Here's Lucy summer replacement.

I'll answer my own trivia question: "Lucy Meets the Berles" was the episode that ran three times in the same season. I think this is the only one that had three same-season airings, but I'm wondering whether "Meets the Burtons" might have also.

I think it's perfectly normal that they would rerun eps with major names in them to get people to tune in.

Archived