The Lucy Show Season 4--Reviews and First Impressions

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LMAO! Very true ;-)

Just finished Disc 2

Danny Thomas--Good, I liked the rehearsal scenes

Lucy Helps the Countess--started off slow but then the apartment scenes were funny. Especially when Mr. Mooney ate the putty. I saw this one on Youtube a few years back. Lucy's face when she tried to eat the putty was hysterical!

Sleeping Beauty--Great, I should hope that Frank would have all those damages fixed. Poor Lucy though, lolz. Was this supposed to be a "Thanksgiving" episode since it aired around Thanksgiving and they were making turkey?

Undercover Agent--Confusing. I didn't know what was going on! Best part was Lucy imitating Carol Channing and Mr. Mooney falling into the pie

Return of Iron Man--Great especially the movie scenes. That was Ross Elliot as the director! How can anyone not tell it's a woman because of her voice?

Milton Berle--Good, I liked the Purple Giraffes and Giant Bees bit. lolz.

Choirmaster--Loved it, especially when Lucy went tree shopping. And Mr. Mooney was funny at the end with his "AND A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE." Lucy's "It just doesn't say Merry Christmas" line cracks me up. As well as Mr. Mooney's "And a bankrupt new year" line. Glad to see this one uncut. God they cut out so much, like the tree delivery man and Lucy knocking everything over in the tree shop, and part of the rehearsal with the boy on roller skates rolling over to Lucy. And a scene in the office with Mr. Mooney saying "I'd like you to take this gift . . . back to the store and get a refund!"

Choirmaster--Loved it, especially when Lucy went tree shopping. And Mr. Mooney was funny at the end with his "AND A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE." Lucy's "It just doesn't say Merry Christmas" line cracks me up. As well as Mr. Mooney's "And a bankrupt new year" line. Glad to see this one uncut. God they cut out so much, like the tree delivery man and Lucy knocking everything over in the tree shop, and part of the rehearsal with the boy on roller skates rolling over to Lucy. And a scene in the office with Mr. Mooney saying "I'd like you to take this gift . . . back to the store and get a refund!"

Lucy The Choirmaster is a favorite of mine! I just don't know if I'll be able to watch it until it's Christmas. Feels odd to me. But this may be a first because I really want to see it again. The colored trees must look spectacular in this remastered release.

Just got mine today.

Has anyone else noticed the odd "Lucy Show" graphic at the end of the "How do you like me in my new apartment?" promo. Looks like hostess pants to me. And what's that supposed to be? With the oddly positioned bare legs...

I love "Marineland" up until the last scene, which seems such a drawn out mess, though probably hilarious on paper. Perhaps this wasn't a good selection for Maury's first directing job. He seems out of his element and very crabby with Lucy (on the bonus outtakes).

And no wonder Butterfingers Carmichael was the last one chosen for the Danfield Firebells! She can't catch the ball even when the porpoise throws it right at her. But you have to hand it to Lucy. What a trouper. It looks like a stunt double for Mooney on the diving board, but does anyone know if Lucy had a stuntwoman for those shots? It doesn't look like it to me.

Just got mine today.

Has anyone else noticed the odd "Lucy Show" graphic at the end of the "How do you like me in my new apartment?" promo. Looks like hostess pants to me. And what's that supposed to be? With the oddly positioned bare legs...

I love "Marineland" up until the last scene, which seems such a drawn out mess, though probably hilarious on paper. Perhaps this wasn't a good selection for Maury's first directing job. He seems out of his element and very crabby with Lucy (on the bonus outtakes).

And no wonder Butterfingers Carmichael was the last one chosen for the Danfield Firebells! She can't catch the ball even when the porpoise throws it right at her. But you have to hand it to Lucy. What a trouper. It looks like a stunt double for Mooney on the diving board, but does anyone know if Lucy had a stuntwoman for those shots? It doesn't look like it to me.

maury the moron? He ate crab morning noon and night, what did you SPECT from that jerk? Director my ass, i wouldn't have employed him as anything higher than cue card holder. :angry:

Just got mine today.

I asked this before, and like anyone here was actually THERE when they were taping this episode on June 9th 1965. Was Lucy REALLY crying at one point near the end of the bloopers? Sure sounded like it. Poor Lucy, lolz. And in that pool full of who knows what for all that time. Well we swim in the oceans and lakes which are a lot more grosser than a porpoise/seal pool. However in the actual episode, I love her cackle at the end right before she cries. And like a pool that's been vacummed and shocked and chlorinated to have nice crystal clear shimmering water, that's exactly what these episodes are in their remastered state. (Anyone who does not own a pool or have a relative with a pool, "shocking" the water is part of the cleaning process and turns the water blue.)

And I wasn't going to post this until I finished disc 3 but "Rain Goddess" wasn't THAT bad! I wasn't expecting that to be the ending though. I thought it would actually RAIN. It sure was better than "Lucy Takes Up Golf" which I couldn't even finish. :lucydisgust:

"Rain Goddess" is one I will watch again. Just not right away. It wasn't that good but still watchable.

I asked this before, and like anyone here was actually THERE when they were taping this episode on June 9th 1965. Was Lucy REALLY crying at one point near the end of the bloopers? Sure sounded like it. Poor Lucy, lolz. And in that pool full of who knows what for all that time. Well we swim in the oceans and lakes which are a lot more grosser than a porpoise/seal pool. However in the actual episode, I love her cackle at the end right before she cries. And like a pool that's been vacummed and shocked and chlorinated to have nice crystal clear shimmering water, that's exactly what these episodes are in their remastered state. (Anyone who does not own a pool or have a relative with a pool, "shocking" the water is part of the cleaning process and turns the water blue.)

And I wasn't going to post this until I finished disc 3 but "Rain Goddess" wasn't THAT bad! I wasn't expecting that to be the ending though. I thought it would actually RAIN. It sure was better than "Lucy Takes Up Golf" which I couldn't even finish. :lucydisgust:

"Rain Goddess" is one I will watch again. Just not right away. It wasn't that good but still watchable.

Go look at some of the crap that passes for comedy these days and then you'll have no trouble going back to finish watching Lucy.

Lucy is so great in these....Really still at the top of her game. She looks fantastic and acts so soft and feminine (even as "Ironman"). There's great stuff in every episode I've seen so far, but

"Marineland" --I'm sure these location shows looked good on paper but when have they EVER worked? It just doesn't seem to be something the Lucy crew can make cohesive.

"Golden Greek" Was Howard Morris a big enough name in 1965 to get entrance applause? How many times has this music-makes me mad bit been done? KO Kitty for one and it doesn't work there either. Has anyone ever heard of someone afflicted with this syndrome in real life? And isn't Mary Jane's boyfriend a little young for her?

"And Joan"---Wasn't Keith's name 'Bill Collins' in Danfield? Maybe Brad is his California twin? And the men of the laundry room gang should be called the "Rub-Dub-Scrub and Rug Club" cause more than one of them has a Gary Morton-toupe.

Music World--Not ONE of the 6 Bare Feet knows the words to the song they're lipping. I thought with the full version we would get to hear what Lucy wrote on the typewriter in Barney Miller's office. I don't even know what a 'trouseau' is. And who is that doufus host of "Wingding"? Someone should really have given him dancing lessons.

"Stunt Man"---the problem with Lucy's plan is that even after getting the money for the coat, she'll still have a (very) broken refrigerator.

I know this sounds like I'm griping, but I'm loving these episodes. I'm just pointing out things I've never noticed before. They all clip along with a great pace (especially "Music World") and the dialogue is actually quite good.

Go look at some of the crap that passes for comedy these days and then you'll have no trouble going back to finish watching Lucy.

I just find it wierd that some people call themselves Lucy fans but can't finish a full episode? :lucydisgust: Seems unusual if you ask me.............

Thankfully i was able to come up with some money to buy this today, instead of waiting for payday.

Haven't been able to watch anything yet. I try and post a review this weekend if i have time.

P.S. LOVE the promo insert for season five of "Here's Lucy". The cover is to DIE for.

Lucy is so great in these....Really still at the top of her game. She looks fantastic and acts so soft and feminine (even as "Ironman"). There's great stuff in every episode I've seen so far, but

"Marineland" --I'm sure these location shows looked good on paper but when have they EVER worked? It just doesn't seem to be something the Lucy crew can make cohesive.

"Golden Greek" Was Howard Morris a big enough name in 1965 to get entrance applause? How many times has this music-makes me mad bit been done? KO Kitty for one and it doesn't work there either. Has anyone ever heard of someone afflicted with this syndrome in real life? And isn't Mary Jane's boyfriend a little young for her?

"And Joan"---Wasn't Keith's name 'Bill Collins' in Danfield? Maybe Brad is his California twin? And the men of the laundry room gang should be called the "Rub-Dub-Scrub and Rug Club" cause more than one of them has a Gary Morton-toupe.

Music World--Not ONE of the 6 Bare Feet knows the words to the song they're lipping. I thought with the full version we would get to hear what Lucy wrote on the typewriter in Barney Miller's office. I don't even know what a 'trouseau' is. And who is that doufus host of "Wingding"? Someone should really have given him dancing lessons.

"Stunt Man"---the problem with Lucy's plan is that even after getting the money for the coat, she'll still have a (very) broken refrigerator.

I know this sounds like I'm griping, but I'm loving these episodes. I'm just pointing out things I've never noticed before. They all clip along with a great pace (especially "Music World") and the dialogue is actually quite good.

I love your comments. I would think Howard Morris was probably fondly remembered from Your Show of Shows. Although he had moved over to directing at that time, he was still acting. He co-starred in the movie Boy's Night Out with James Garner, Kim Novak, Tony Randall, and Howard Duff a few years earlier. Listen the entrance applause given to Herb Vigran in "Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest!" The audience reacts like Van Johnson just walked into the room. I guess after the huge hands for Ann, Bill, and Gale, the audience felt obligated.

The music plot in "Lucy and the Golden Greek" makes absolutely no sense. Also, why are all the men who Howard just attacked cheering him on? I think the episode is pretty great up until this part. Mary Jane is written perfectly here. I wish they continued to use her like this as the series went on. As for Mary Jane's younger boyfriend, I can only assume that this Mary Jane Lewis had just attended a charm school.

I love how Lucy's job with Barney Miller is referenced in the cut opening scene of "Lucy Helps Danny Thomas." They did a good job with continuity there.

A trouseau refers to a bride's clothing and posessions. :)

Keith Andes' character was named Bill King in Danfield.

I bought mine this morning and started watching a few episodes:

Lucy At Marineland-

The transition in this show from Danfield to L.A. feels wierd at first. I liked that they did an outside location. This episode feels awkward and the characters seem to be acting awkward as well. The new writers were creating something different from before and it looks like in this episode that the writers/writer was/were walking on eggshells.

Lucy And The Golden Greek-

I love this episode. I have never seen the introduction of Mary Jane Lewis in the episodes that I have on video. In fact, I don't have this episode on video. I love that they showed us her new apartment and patio. The apartment layout is so L.A. I have always felt that Mary Jane Croft filled the shoes that was vacated by Vivian Vance. The chemistry between Mary Jane and Lucy in the first scene felt so natural. The Doctor Jekyll/Mr. Hyde date for Lucy was hilarious!!! The ending didn't make too sense with Mr. Mooney showing up out of nowhere and Lucy doing something funny to him. It should have ended with Lucy doing something funny to her crazy date.

Lucy In The Music World-

Another great episode with the guest star Mel Torme. This whole episode works from start to finish. I like the scenes with Mel and Lucy in Mel's apartment and their duet together on the musical variety show. Lucy looks great in that long red wig, and those beautiful long legs of hers that made her a model and a showgirl.

Lucy And Joan-

Mary Jane should have been the neighbor for this episode. I was unimpressed with Joan Blondell. I guess they were testing the waters at this point to see what works. I wasn't impressed with episode.

Well that is how far I got.... :)

I just find it wierd that some people call themselves Lucy fans but can't finish a full episode? :lucydisgust: Seems unusual if you ask me.............

I gather this is directed at Chester and me, so for the record I have seen Lucy, The Rain Goddess all the way through at least three times in the past. I just couldn't muster the interest to watch it all the way through this time around.

Is it bad? HOLY SMOKE SIGNAL!

I gather this is directed at Chester and me, so for the record I have seen Lucy, The Rain Goddess all the way through at least three times in the past. I just couldn't muster the interest to watch it all the way through this time around.

Is it bad? HOLY SMOKE SIGNAL!

No Brock, it wasn't directed at you, I didn't even realise you hadn't watched it the whole way through. It was just directed at people in general who say that they couldn't watch the whole episode. Even I manage to watch the whole episode through, with some of my reviews! :lucythrill: LOL!

It's really interesting to hear people's differing opinions. "Lucy The Rain Goddess" is actually a fave of mine, believe it or not. I watched it not that long ago (before the dvd release) and found it hysterical. Just goes to show ya, diff'rnt strokes...(okay who's gonna sing the theme song?) :maryjane2:

More season 4 thoughts:

I think Joan Blondell is a fine second banana candidate. I'd like to know after what speech Lucy did the toilet plunge pull. I have a feeling that Lucy was NOT critical of Joan but rather the dialogue or how the scene was playing; and Joan took it the wrong way.

Was this the first (of many!) episodes where Lucy knocks over a store display?

I'd forgotten there was as many Mooney-less episodes as there are. It's funny how he keeps showing up: the Ironman set, Greek restaurant, Movie star map selling street...Probably the only reason they had Lucy go to work for him.

Lucy is so much "softer" and lovable in these episodes. Her interaction with Viv tended to be harsh, like "Camp Cooks". And I don't think she ever looked better than she did this season.

I much prefer the shots they picked for their kaleidescope opening than the ones in the actual credits.

Poor Mary Jane! She was like the friend you would play with when none of the friends you prefer were around; and she was grateful you played with her. She never got co-star status in the closing credits; never mentioned in the opening credits. And other than "Mary Jane's Boyfriend" I can't remember a plot that involved her character. I agree that her "Golden Greek" characterization is preferable to her later daffiness. I don't remember Lucy and Mary Jane ever having any conflict along the Lucy-Viv lines.

Good God, i am so appreciative of the fact that you are posting a bit more lately as your insightful comments are so interesting and i find your detail just amazing, wish i could watch some shows with you the way all of us wish we had seen some with Lucy herself. By the way, a trousseau is something a woman would put together BEFORE she got married, her night clothes for the wedding night, sexy lingerie, silk sheets, whatever. But mostly things she would NEED for married life like his and hers towels, bed linen and what not.

My reveiw will be coming later but I think Season 3 and 4 are my favorites as of now- MMMMMMMaybe Season 4 alone- we'll see.

Seems like Lucy gives off an entirely different energy with no Viv and no kids.

In Danfield she seems worn out, constantly looking for money to survive. She only perked up when meeting a man or something lol

Now, she's glamorous, very very feminine and seems to be a new girl in her late 20's in Cali.

I think the Marineland show was nice, but lucy DOES work well in front of an audience, thank God for the crew.

Lucy is AMAZING btw, in the pool- She is at the TOP of her game, I know no other performer who can do what she did in that pool and for so long, and so well.

****One thing I will say about the box cover art though, I think we need to move away from the black and white pics, and colorized photos- These shows are

brilliantly restored and they look like they were done in HD or something- and the colors are vibrant and rich, this doesnt only need to be on the back cover, but it needs to be right in front and looking really really nice- to show those who are unfamiliar with The Lucy Show, that Lucy is no longer in black and white on this show, she's in this beautiful color show now! :). just my opinion.

No, i disagree, we are after all talking about shows from fifty or sixty years ago, not everyone's cup of tea, it was a very different time, young kids today will not sit through a loooooooooooooooooong set up the way we did back then, i think a true fan can stop watching and not think anything of it, then pick it up again later and not be concerned as his alliegence to Lucy is not to be questionned.

My reveiw will be coming later but I think Season 3 and 4 are my favorites as of now- MMMMMMMaybe Season 4 alone- we'll see.

Seems like Lucy gives off an entirely different energy with no Viv and no kids.

In Danfield she seems worn out, constantly looking for money to survive. She only perked up when meeting a man or something lol

Now, she's glamorous, very very feminine and seems to be a new girl in her late 20's in Cali.

I think the Marineland show was nice, but lucy DOES work well in front of an audience, thank God for the crew.

Lucy is AMAZING btw, in the pool- She is at the TOP of her game, I know no other performer who can do what she did in that pool and for so long, and so well.

****One thing I will say about the box cover art though, I think we need to move away from the black and white pics, and colorized photos- These shows are

brilliantly restored and they look like they were done in HD or something- and the colors are vibrant and rich, this doesnt only need to be on the back cover, but it needs to be right in front and looking really really nice- to show those who are unfamiliar with The Lucy Show, that Lucy is no longer in black and white on this show, she's in this beautiful color show now! :). just my opinion.

Very well said and a terrific point on BOTH counts.

Great to read all the comments. Everyone seems very satisfied with the dvd set. I haven't had a chance to watch Season 4 yet since I'm working through Season 3. But I have my copy ready to follow when Season 3 ends.

Could 2012 be the year that TLS is complete on dvd?!?!? :lucywow:

Great to read all the comments. Everyone seems very satisfied with the dvd set. I haven't had a chance to watch Season 4 yet since I'm working through Season 3. But I have my copy ready to follow when Season 3 ends.

Could 2012 be the year that TLS is complete on dvd?!?!? :lucywow:

It HAS to be, same for Here's Lucy as you know the whole world ends on December 21st 2012, so it all has to come out before then.

It HAS to be, same for Here's Lucy as you know the whole world ends on December 21st 2012, so it all has to come out before then.

Well, Jesus! If the world is gonna end, they might as well release "Life With Lucy" before then too. We need to get in as much as possible. :lucythrill:

Archived