"Senior Pens Lucille Ball Trivia Book"

Brock

No, MY book will only be released when i'm gone from this world as there are too many EXPLOSIVE revelations in it, like those FACTS i stated to you and some others a while back, i don't want to get sued so i will be releasing all that info when i pass on, LOL!

The mind boggles at what some of those "facts" just might be!! Call me curious! :D

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My copy arrived this afternoon and although I haven't really had a good chance to dig into it yet, I can definitely say the wonderful photos and the BRILLIANT chapter titles are worth the price of admission alone! :D

I prayed all day for a message on my machine while i was sleeping for work tonight so i could go pick it up next Sunday, I CANNOT WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON THIS BOOK! I'm sure there'll be REAL TRUE FACTS in this one, not heresay and bull or stories from fifty years ago told by disgruntled ex employees who feel they did not profit enough from her.

Nice suprise last night. I got the book a week before it was expected to get here from Amazon. Looks great and I know I'll spend a lot of time with this. I've gotten through the beginning and up to after the places she lived. So nice to have all this random bits of info I had read, saw, heard, before and some I haven't in one place.

Nice suprise last night. I got the book a week before it was expected to get here from Amazon. Looks great and I know I'll spend a lot of time with this. I've gotten through the beginning and up to after the places she lived. So nice to have all this random bits of info I had read, saw, heard, before and some I haven't in one place.

Thanks, Shelly! I hope you enjoy it.

What's not to enjoy, it'll just be the best Lucy book E V E R ! Considering the author is a friggin Lucy genius!!!

My Amazon account says it has shipped but evidently they're sending it Pony Express (via a very pregnant Oil Well) because the estimated delivery date is June 23rd!

My Amazon account says it has shipped but evidently they're sending it Pony Express (via a very pregnant Oil Well) because the estimated delivery date is June 23rd!

Mine came today and I'm feeling a bit ADD because I can't avoid skipping around, but....

To paraphrase Isabella Klump and Ginger Rogers:

"Don't bother me. This is the best book (salad dressing) I've ever read (tasted)." and

"I thought only I (or in Ginger's case 'my mother') knew about THAT."

I WON'T REST until I find an error, which does not bode well for my upcoming appearance on "The David Frost Show"!!

Mine came today and I'm feeling a bit ADD because I can't avoid skipping around, but....

To paraphrase Isabella Klump and Ginger Rogers:

"Don't bother me. This is the best book (salad dressing) I've ever read (tasted)." and

"I thought only I (or in Ginger's case 'my mother') knew about THAT."

I WON'T REST until I find an error, which does not bode well for my upcoming appearance on "The David Frost Show"!!

:marionstrong: Thanks! I'm glad yours' arrived.

It looks like the book is a hit! (As if there was any doubt!) Amazon only has FIVE copies left in stock as of 12:34 pm.

"FAQ" is "warm, vibrant, thoroughly satisfying. One of the most delightful conceptions of the season."

:D Thank you!

I love all the little details. So many things I didn't know.

For instance, I didn't realize Lucie Arnaz's TV Movie "Who is Black Dalhia?" ran against "Lucy Gets Lucky" on Saturday night. Who won in the ratings?

The network debut of "Yours Mine and Ours" ran as the NBC Monday night movie against "Lucy and Joan Rivers". I can't remember who won this race. Do you know?

"The Facts of Life" ran on ABC. "Yours Mine and Ours" and "Mame" ran on NBC, ("YMO" later on ABC too) Only "Critics Choice" on CBS. By the time these recent movies were being run in prime time starting in 1961, were "Long Trailer" and "Forever Darling" too old to be considered recent?

I love all the little details. So many things I didn't know.

For instance, I didn't realize Lucie Arnaz's TV Movie "Who is Black Dalhia?" ran against "Lucy Gets Lucky" on Saturday night. Who won in the ratings?

The network debut of "Yours Mine and Ours" ran as the NBC Monday night movie against "Lucy and Joan Rivers". I can't remember who won this race. Do you know?

"The Facts of Life" ran on ABC. "Yours Mine and Ours" and "Mame" ran on NBC, ("YMO" later on ABC too) Only "Critics Choice" on CBS. By the time these recent movies were being run in prime time starting in 1961, were "Long Trailer" and "Forever Darling" too old to be considered recent?

Neither "Lucy Gets Lucky" nor "Who is the Black Dahlia?" cracked the Nielsen top ten, although I believe "Lucy Gets Lucky" performed better. I think it's so strange that "Lucy Gets Lucky" didn't make the top ten. "Happy Anniversary and Goodbye" came in fourth. "Three for Two" placed eighth, although it had the highly rated "Bing Crosby Christmas Special" as its' lead-in. I guess the audience was divided between mother and daughter. Lucy spent her press junket for the special advising people to watch her daughter's MOW. "Lucy Gets Lucky" was followed by the Grammy Awards, which also impacted The Black Dahlia's ratings. I believe the TV movie did better when it was rerun (Zsa Zsa told Lucie she watched the rerun when they were on Dinah! together. :lucythrill:)

I didn't know that "Yours, Mine and Ours" ran against "Lucy and Joan Rivers Do Jury Duty." It's so strange that Mame never ran on ABC since they were an investor/producer of the film.

Neither "Lucy Gets Lucky" nor "Who is the Black Dahlia?" cracked the Nielsen top ten, although I believe "Lucy Gets Lucky" performed better. I think it's so strange that "Lucy Gets Lucky" didn't make the top ten. "Happy Anniversary and Goodbye" came in fourth. "Three for Two" placed eighth, although it had the highly rated "Bing Crosby Christmas Special" as its' lead-in. I guess the audience was divided between mother and daughter. Lucy spent her press junket for the special advising people to watch her daughter's MOW. "Lucy Gets Lucky" was followed by the Grammy Awards, which also impacted The Black Dahlia's ratings. I believe the TV movie did better when it was rerun (Zsa Zsa told Lucie she watched the rerun when they were on Dinah! together. :lucythrill:)

I didn't know that "Yours, Mine and Ours" ran against "Lucy and Joan Rivers Do Jury Duty." It's so strange that Mame never ran on ABC since they were an investor/producer of the film.

Evidently Saturday was just not Lucy's night! On ANY network (the three at the time, anyway)

"Lucky" ran in the timeslot of MTM and Bob Newhart when CBS Saturday night was at its peak.

And of course we know what happened to "Life with..."

But the most surprising of Lucy's Saturday night ratings baths was the poor showing of "Mame" on NBC a Saturday or two before Christmas in 1976. It finished in the bottom 5 for the week. It started 1/2 hr. earlier than the normal movie schedule with an undistinguished 8:00 lead-in. This may have affected the ratings. I don't think the regular CBS 8:30 show was being run that night (instead a "Frosty the Snowman" rerun or something like that), but CBS on Saturday night was no longer a definite ratings winner anyway. It just seems that this would be the perfect showcase and time for "Mame" with the Christmas scene and all.

I was in school at the time and lugged home the 200 pound reel video recorder (for you Canadians: that's HEAVY) and the proprietary TV that required rabbit ears, paid $20 EACH for two hour reels of tape and got it in b/w. It's panned and scanned and "Mame" more than most movies needs to be letterboxed, because the soft focus shots jump out at you more in p&s. It's the only time I've ever heard the substitute dialogue and I didn't realize movies had TV dialogue alternates. Vera's "The man in the moon is a BITCH" was "I told you were no good when we were in the chorus together" "....most poor sons-o-bitches..." was watered down to "most poor souls"--even bypassing the irreverent "suckers" (too risque?) I don't remember what they did for bastard b-a-s-t-a-r-d.

I'm sure NBC paid big bucks. This was an era when a network debut of a movie usually meant big ratings..and "Mame" was probably a pre-sell. The only network rerun was several years later. The network ran it again it at midnight on Sunday. It was scheduled to end at 2, and those late night movies had many more commercials. I stayed up to see what they would cut out, but they ended up running the whole thing and it didn't end until 3.

Evidently Saturday was just not Lucy's night! On ANY network (the three at the time, anyway)

"Lucky" ran in the timeslot of MTM and Bob Newhart when CBS Saturday night was at its peak.

And of course we know what happened to "Life with..."

But the most surprising of Lucy's Saturday night ratings baths was the poor showing of "Mame" on NBC a Saturday or two before Christmas in 1976. It finished in the bottom 5 for the week. It started 1/2 hr. earlier than the normal movie schedule with an undistinguished 8:00 lead-in. This may have affected the ratings. I don't think the regular CBS 8:30 show was being run that night (instead a "Frosty the Snowman" rerun or something like that), but CBS on Saturday night was no longer a definite ratings winner anyway. It just seems that this would be the perfect showcase and time for "Mame" with the Christmas scene and all.

I was in school at the time and lugged home the 200 pound reel video recorder (for you Canadians: that's HEAVY) and the proprietary TV that required rabbit ears, paid $20 EACH for two hour reels of tape and got it in b/w. It's panned and scanned and "Mame" more than most movies needs to be letterboxed, because the soft focus shots jump out at you more in p&s. It's the only time I've ever heard the substitute dialogue and I didn't realize movies had TV dialogue alternates. Vera's "The man in the moon is a BITCH" was "I told you were no good when we were in the chorus together" "....most poor sons-o-bitches..." was watered down to "most poor souls"--even bypassing the irreverent "suckers" (too risque?) I don't remember what they did for bastard b-a-s-t-a-r-d.

I'm sure NBC paid big bucks. This was an era when a network debut of a movie usually meant big ratings..and "Mame" was probably a pre-sell. The only network rerun was several years later. The network ran it again it at midnight on Sunday. It was scheduled to end at 2, and those late night movies had many more commercials. I stayed up to see what they would cut out, but they ended up running the whole thing and it didn't end until 3.

Listen, us OLDER Canadians grew up with POUNDS, not kilograms and we know perfectly well how heavy that is, LOL! The METRIC system was only adopted in the late sixties or early seventies by Prime Minister Trudeau, your President wisely decided not to change everything to conform to the rest of the world, when just showing BOTH measurements would have been fine on everything. Back to Mame, i was one of those people stunned by the movie showing on NBC when it shows ABC pictures or something like that in the opening credits, and yes, i was floored by the fact that it did not appear on CBS, her home for all those years. I knew they always did alternative dialogue for TV showings of blockbusters but had no idea anything had to be done with a picture as tame as MAME.

I knew the book was supposed to come out end of June, so i angrily went to the store this morning and asked for them to trace the book, find out where it was. The guy asks my name and then finds it in five seconds, it was there on a shelf waiting for me to pick it up. He says they called me on the 20th to come and pick it up. I told him i never got a call or a message left on my machine but then remembered that i take the phone off the hook or rather unplug it on Mondays and Tuesdays so i can sleep duing the day to work the graveyard shift at night. But the punchline here of course is I FINALY GOT THE BOOK! Absolutely beautiful cover with Lucy looking her best and then i read the prologue and almost fell off my chair, James actually thanks Brock, Laura Neil and I for our friendship and generosity over the years. Just incredible, i don't think anyone has ever done anything so incredibly nice for me in my entire life and i cannot find the words to say thank you Jim. I have liked you from day one and now i know why, you are the most decent, caring thoughtful human being i have ever encountered and i am so proud to have my name in your terrific book, ok, God can take me now, this is the ultimate joy, what an honor!

Thank you very much, Claude. I hope you enjoy the book.

Not since the Lucy book i have enjoyed a book so much, Desilu was flawed but also great, but this is definitely THE BEST LUCY BOOK EVER WRITTEN! So much geat information about everything Lucy, i love every word on every page, absolutely flawless, well, except for two things, the back cover's Desi Arnaz jr as her husband and co star and inside, the section on WHO FOUND LUCY FUNNY, shouldn't that read PEOPLE LUCY FOUND FUNNY?

Archived