What episodes are you watching on "Here's Lucy"?

Some random observations from the 5th and 6th season.  

Apparently acrylic nails have come into vogue as everyone seems to have them.  They look so tacky.

I'm noticing in the 6th season that camera 1 tends to have the Mame lens on it a lot.  It's really noticeable know that my blue ray is upscalling.  The other 2 cameras are sharp and this one tends to have a haze.  It also dons't matter who is in the shot either.  I thought maybe it was just a Lucy thing but it is there without her.  She'll have the same shot on her in 3 later and no haze.

Lots of wig changes in these last 2 seasons.  Mostly for the good then one episode Lucy will go back to a shorter one and it throws me off.  

The feel of these last 2 seasons is a little different too.  Partly because of the broken leg plot in 5.  Kim is more an equal, and Harry has toned down the yelling a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching  Here's Lucy chronologically for a series of blog posts in May on my favorite episodes... 

"Mod, Mod, Lucy" was better than I remembered. 

"Lucy The Process Server" is often chided as being more like an episode of The Lucy Show than Here's Lucy, but I actually think it's quite funny. 

In the middle of Season Two now...

The on-location episodes still do absolutely nothing for me, but "Lucy And Harry's Tonsils" and "Lucy's Burglar Alarm" are much better than I remembered --- very funny! 

Still marathoning... nearing the end of Season Three, which I have cited in the past as my least favorite season...

First off, Lucie is 10x better than I remembered; Desi is not as good. Gale is better, however. 

I used to love Season One, but I think it's just because it has several of the series' best -- "Lucy Visits Jack Benny," "Lucy, The Matchmaker," "Lucy, The Fixer", "A Date For Lucy," "Lucy, The Shopping Expert" ... 

I used to not like Season Two, but aside from the single cam episodes (and a few blunders) I really like the year as a collective whole -- especially "Lucy And Harry's Tonsils," "Lucy's Burglar Alarm," "Lucy At The Drive-In Movie," "Lucy And The Used Car Dealer," "Lucy Protects Her Job," "Lucy And Wally Cox," "Lucy And Carol Burnett" ... 

I'm very conflicted about Season Three. There are a few awful episodes, but there really aren't as many bad episodes as I thought. And the ones that ARE really bad, are also kind of hysterical -- "Lucy And Ma Parker." I'm watching "Lucy's House Guest, Harry" now, and this, like the past few, have just seemed really blah -- and that's the biggest problem with this season, I think. What do you all think of the third season?  

• Like 1

Finished Season Four. So far, this is the year with the most fluctuation in quality between episodes. With the possible exception of the final season, this year has more guest stars than any other. Also, while my opinion of Lucie and her performance vastly improved during my viewing of the first three seasons, this year she grates a little -- and I think that's because there's SO much of her (compared to Seasons Two and Three). And if the script is inferior, well...forget about it. 

Lucy has some great moments throughout the season, and the Lucy/Harry dynamic is obviously played with more honesty and affection. (Thanks Bob and Madelyn!) There are some greats -- "Lucy And Harry's Italian Bombshell," "Lucy And Mannix Are Held Hostage," and "Lucy's Punctured Romance" -- but there are some horrendously unfunny shows too -- "Lucy In The Jungle," "Lucy's Lucky Day," and "Lucy Sublets The Office." These major blunders keep Season Four far away from being my favorite year. 

What do you all think of Season Four? 

The fifth season is my favorite season of the series, but my top ten Here's Lucy episodes would be a split of fourth and sixth season episodes. My two all time favorite episodes of the series, Ginger Rogers Comes to Tea and Kim Moves Out are from the fourth season. The affection between Lucy and Harry really starts here with episodes like Lucy's Replacement, With Viv as a Friend, Who Needs an Enemy?, and Someone's On the Ski Lift with Dinah. Since they were still using outside writers during the fourth season, the season lacks the consistency of the following two seasons, but there are so many winners that year. 

I just watched Lucy and Her All-Nun Band and Ginger Rogers Comes to Tea.  I liked both episodes. I did find interesting that in Lucy and Her All-Nun Band Lucy never refered to Sister Paula as being her Sister-In-Law and that her late husband would also be Paula's brother. It's alway a pleasure to catch Mary Wickes in an episode.   In Ginger Roger's Comes Tea, I loved that little dance number that Lucille and Gale did. I also like when character actor William Lanteau makes an appearance . He has fine comic way about him.

I've never quite understood the fondness for the Ginger Rogers episode...could someone explain it to me??

I don't either.... I read or heard somewhere it was origionally for Bette Davis which explains the film festival. Ginger would have been better with a different concept. As it is I think it is a poor vehicle for her talents.

Finished the entire series on Friday. 

I liked Season Five about as well as I had during my first viewing. There's more consistency, and unlike the first four seasons, there aren't really any unwatchable BOMBS. (Though there are definitely a handful for which I don't care -- like "Lucy And Petula Clark," which, though not without its amusing moments, has Lucy acting the pest, much like the Hollywood Carmichael incarnation of the character.) I know this seems to be many fans' favorite season, for those who cite the broken leg as a benefit to the series. I definitely think this unfortunate development helped to establish the series as a slightly more ensemble effort, and contributed to the softening relationship between Lucy and Harry -- essentially making it more realistic. Both of these are major blessings. But, I simply don't think the leg episodes are very funny. Gale gives some of his best performances, but script-wise... meh. The better episodes, for me, come close to the middle and end of the season -- where there are definitely some gems. 

As for Season Six, we're back to getting some disappointments (or, yawners, like "The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon"), but I think several of the series' funniest installments come from this collection of episodes. In addition to the excellently cooled relationship between Lucy and Harry, Mary Jane FOR THE FIRST TIME since Betty Ramsey plays a multi-dimensional character. And while Lucie is the funniest and most natural that she's ever been (and used appropriately), Lucy seems to be enjoying herself -- knowing that this will actually be the last year --- she's looser, and very funny. The same can be said of the scripts: looser and very funny. 

All in all, the series is better than I remembered. Season Two, in particular, was much stronger than I anticipated. As I expected, however, Season Three was my least favorite -- too many blah episodes. Although, I think Season Four may actually have the worst episodes. (What an uneven year!) Meanwhile, Seasons One and Six have several of the FUNNIEST installments, and Season Five is the most consistent.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a yen to watch Lucy's Tenant for the umpteenth time tonight. In recent years, it has shot into my Top 5 all-time favourite HL episodes -- a wondaful performance from Lucy, an unprecedented and hysterical moment with Gale, the scene with Lucy and Gale at the end, a guest star used perfectly, and hilarious bits with Mary Jane. Who could ask for anything more? :D

• Like 1