What episodes are you watching on "Here's Lucy"?

I have a yen to watch Lucy's Tenant for the umpteenth time tonight. In recent years, it has shot into my Top 5 all-time favourite HL episodes -- a wondaful performance from Lucy, an unprecedented and hysterical moment with Gale, the scene with Lucy and Gale at the end, a guest star used perfectly, and hilarious bits with Mary Jane. Who could ask for anything more? :D

This has my vote for funniest episode of the series.

I have a yen to watch Lucy's Tenant for the umpteenth time tonight. In recent years, it has shot into my Top 5 all-time favourite HL episodes -- a wondaful performance from Lucy, an unprecedented and hysterical moment with Gale, the scene with Lucy and Gale at the end, a guest star used perfectly, and hilarious bits with Mary Jane. Who could ask for anything more? :D

Adore this episode. So funny! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Lucy the Cement Worker" a title as good as any for this mish-mash because it only describes one little scene.  That one scene does provide Lucy with a great physical bit, operating the jack-hammer.  But how two veteran scriptwriters can turn something like this out, and how it made it on to the air baffles me. 

The Kim-Craig interplay at the beginning is very natural sounding.  They're better in their roles than I remember, especially Desi. But then the "plot" veers from here to there and never lands on anything solid.

Fidelman pointed this out about another episode, but the fact that Harry and Lucy's husband were brothers is rarely touched on.  And in this one, it doesn't make sense. This "family heirloom" would also be Lucy's.  And this cousin that gets the ring with the inscription would also be related to Lucy.  Harry has the inscription to read "from UH" (Uncle Harry) when he's not her uncle at all.  Anymore than Lucy is her aunt.

• 2 weeks later...

Shifting the thread from "No small Role", upon Harry's recommendation I watched "Lucy and Petula Clark" which he lumped with "Lucy and John Wayne" and "Sammy Davis" in the Lucy ruins take after take trilogy, as "Petula" was his favorite of the three.

And the best thing I can say about it is that Lucy is really into the material. It's sort of enjoyable in a "what WILL that clueless woman do NEXT?" sort of way. Alternate title for this episode might be "Lucy Has Asbergers Syndrome"!!

She's really cute dancing along with Petula's "Goin' Out of My Head" song. And she's got some great Lucy moments. Two that stick out:

1. when she knocks over something of the musician's (for the SECOND time) and says "Well, he REALLY hit a bad note!" and the other is very small and very quick.

2.When Petula is reading her glowing letter of introduction, Lucy preens a little bit, then Petula tells her what a marvelous letter this is, and Lucy does a humble, demure "thank you", and that is great. (Then Petula finds out Lucy was the author.)

What struck me is how much better Lucy looks this season than the previous four. I remember noticing this at the time. Wonder what they did differently with her make-up. I've heard the face lift vs. no face lift debate, but it seems like she may have had one between season 4 and 5. In preparation for "Mame" perhaps?

Didn't remember Doris Singleton in a small role. It has been 20 years since Lillian/Carolyn and Doris looks better and as young as she did then. Amazing.

Would have been funny if she had been the same character she was in the HL premiere.

The fifth season is my favorite season of the series and I think Lucy looks her best. I think Irma said it was easier to do the whole lift thing with the longer wigs.

Lucy and Petula Clark is definitely one of the weakest episodes in that excellent season, but it I think it's the best of the three similarly plotted episodes. My favorite moment:

Paul the producer: I wish I had a lot of water. I'd drown myself.

Lucy (very concerned): Why, are you having trouble at home?

Doris Singleton looks terrific. It's the best she looks in a Lucy episode.

. My favorite moment:

Paul the producer: I wish I had a lot of water. I'd drown myself.

Lucy (very concerned): Why, are you having trouble at home?

Loved that one....

"There ya are, Tiny."

...and this one too. Luckily "Tiny"'s character had a sense of humor.

Disc 2 of Season 5 has no Bob and Madelyn episodes, which is a pretty long stretch without one.

I also watched the follow up to Petula Clark, "Jim Bailey". Lucy is very enjoyable throughout: from her chairing the committee meeting to cozying up to the mayor to complain about the garbage noise. (though I wished she hadn't poured water over Harry's head for no reason in the first scene). The joke about Mayor Yorty being out of town was a running gag on TV, working its way into Carson monologues. The joke was lost on the rest of the country. Is this the only scene with a conversation between Kim and Mary Jane alone? I can't think of another. Tip to Lucie: put a LITTLE pause between lines during your end of a phone conversation so we actually believe someone is on the other line! Though it's well staged and creatively filmed, the sultry "Fever" seems really out of place on a Lucy show.

Lucie Arnaz really has fun with these intros, but must we sit through the Finding Lucy synthetic fanfare EVERY time? A minor complaint, but once a disc and I would say "I have sufficient".

• Like 1

Lucy's Prince Charming

A fairly good one, though most of the comedy comes from always dependable Gale and not Lucy. Particularly funny: Gale's harem outfit with the see-through togs!

It's interesting how Gale's character has morphed since his debut as Theodore Mooney. Though tight-fisted with Lucy's trust fund, he wasn't really money-MAD like the later years. Milt's influence with his trunk-full of Jack Benny jokes.

This episode doesn't get a lot of love (like "Lucy & John Wayne"?

You mouth off like that again and you'll be pushing up daisies!

Mod, Mod Lucy*

*It will never not fascinate me that of all the Lucy episodes the Queen and Royal Family have been seen watching, it's that one -- and in black and white, yet!

Yes, couldn't they afford a color set? Or even a "colour" one?

Do we know if this is 1968 or was she watching a rerun?

Do we know if this is 1968 or was she watching a rerun?

Most of the documentary "Royal Family" was filmed in 1968 and very early 1969. It first aired that June. It was re-run that Christmas and, except for a handful of very short clips, has never been seen in its entirety since, under orders from the Queen. Nobody seems to know why. As for whether the Queen was watching a rerun or not, the photo was taken at Sandringham where the Royal Family usually spends the Christmas and New Year holidays. Does anyone know when HL made its UK premiere?

Most of the documentary "Royal Family" was filmed in 1968 and very early 1969. It first aired that June. It was re-run that Christmas and, except for a handful of very short clips, has never been seen in its entirety since, under orders from the Queen. Nobody seems to know why. As for whether the Queen was watching a rerun or not, the photo was taken at Sandringham where the Royal Family usually spends the Christmas and New Year holidays. Does anyone know when HL made its UK premiere?

I'm ALMOST SURE that in the states, the premiere episode was the one chosen for the annual between-Christmas-New Years week rerun.

Perhaps the documentary has never been shown again for one of two reasons:

1. The queen was doing her own singing and dancing to "All Alone/I Know a Place" following Lucy's steps in front of her TV.

2. Or she used some salty language when it dawned on her that the singing was NOT Lucy's voice.

I'm ALMOST SURE that in the states, the premiere episode was the one chosen for the annual between-Christmas-New Years week rerun.

Perhaps the documentary has never been shown again for one of two reasons:

1. The queen was doing her own singing and dancing to "All Alone/I Know a Place" following Lucy's steps in front of her TV.

2. Or she used some salty language when it dawned on her that the singing was NOT Lucy's voice.

What episode was the Queen watching - can anyone tell?

Last night I Watched Lucy the Sky diver and the episode with Sammy Davis.

The BBC used the clip of the Royal Family watching the show in a couple of recent documentaries, most recently for the Diamond Jubilee. Hard to tell from this photo but in the video you can hear dialogue from Mod, Mod Lucy.

• 4 months later...