Madelyn Pugh: Girl Scholar

My 1938 Shortridge High year book arrived today and it is chock full of so many groovy photos an information about Madelyn I wanted to share it with everyone. There are also several Lucy-related connections in the year book too! So let's start by seeing how young Madelyn Laverne Pugh measured up against her fellow honour students:

madelynyb01.jpg

And here she is with her fellow honour students:

madelynyb02.jpg

Madelyn Pugh was a pretty big wheel in Shortridge High political circles beginning in 1936 and culminating in her senior year.

First, a word of intoduction from Charles Butz:

madelynyb03.jpg

And Madelyn had the reins of power in her grasp by 1938, as illustrated by her superior Bates Johnson. (Who I gather was hot and heavy with this yearbook's orginal owner at the time he signed it). Just think. She was only one heartbeat away from usurping Bates.

madelynyb04.jpg

And a close up of the girl who was about to take Hollywood by storm:

madelynyb05.jpg

Lucy Connections

Some of these are just coincidence, but I think a number of the names in this yearbook were incorporated into Lucy episodes. "Lucy Becomes A Reporter" is probably the most notable as Vivian Tuttle Bagley was also an alumnus of Shortridge High.

• In "Reporter", Viv mentions Shortridge's "Principal Hadley". In the yearbook the assistant principal's name is Mr. Joel Hadley.
  • One of Madelyn's classmates was Bill Hall
  • Another was "Harold Steup"... I wonder if his name inspired Jamestown High thespian "Herman Schlupp".
  • Let your mind go back to "The Passports" for a moment. Madelyn's graduating class included a female "Erickson", a male "Sears", and a male "Keiser". This can't possibly be a coincidence!
  • Now THESE are coincidences: Madelyn's classmates included a "Shirley Mitchell" and a "Mary Jane Lewis"
  • Another classmate had the surname "Freihofer". One of Danfield's hottest bakeries was "Freihofer's"
  • Also among them was a "Waterbury". Perhaps one of the partners in "Cromwell, Thatcher, and Waterbury"?
  • This one is my favourite. Shortridge's HOME ECONOMICS teacher is a "MRS. PORTER" And no last name is given, either.* :marionstrong: I bet she taught Madelyn how to make a mean peanut butter sandwich.
  • Remember how Vivian's nickname was "Trucky" because she was always trucking? Well, take a gander at the title page for the "Activities" section in the yearbook:

madelynyb19.jpg

• Look at this girl who beat Madelyn for the "Blue Bell of 1938" title. I hope Madelyn slipped Viv $5 to make that "Remember that old Mrs. Trimble upstairs" "slip" as revenge:

madelynyb18.jpg

*Mrs. Porter: Hello, Mr. Hadley. I'm Mrs. Porter reporting for duty.

Mr. Hadley: Fine. And what do I call you?

Mrs. Porter: Mrs. Porter.

Madelyn's fellow student council member Howard "Howdy" Wilcox was later a character in "Lucy's College Reunion" played by Lyle Talbot.

Groovy!

When I opened the yearbook today there was a surprise inside that wasn't listed in the eBay listed. When I took it out of the package three original photographs fell out of the book including one of the yearbook owner with a beau, one of a Shortridge Blue Devil, and one original glossy 5x7 of the group photo of the Homeroom Representatives -- including Madelyn! That's Principal Hadley on the far right.

madelynyb20.jpg

madelynyb22.jpg

This is a priceless piece of Madleyn's history...Thanks for posting

If "Lucy Tells the Truth" was based on a bet Madelyn made in high school, I'm sure she closed her eyes when Arthur Northrup walked into study hall and then said "If that's the kind of hairstyle you want, Arthur you sure have a good one!

Or as Phoebe Emerson said when Arthur was getting his "Charm Quotient": "Is that the way it's SUPPOSE to look?...Oh, dear it must be awfully windy outside."

He looks like he's wearing a tiny party hat!

ArthurNorthrup.jpg

This is a priceless piece of Madleyn's history...Thanks for posting

If "Lucy Tells the Truth" was based on a bet Madelyn made in high school, I'm sure she closed her eyes when Arthur Northrup walked into study hall and then said "If that's the kind of hairstyle you want, Arthur you sure have a good one!

Or as Phoebe Emerson said when Arthur was getting his "Charm Quotient": "Is that the way it's SUPPOSE to look?...Oh, dear it must be awfully windy outside."

He looks like he's wearing a tiny party hat!

ArthurNorthrup.jpg

I found that amusing and interesting too, but still he's quite adorable. :D

• 1 year later...

Here is a great piece written by an acquaintance of Madelyn:

http://www.startribune.com/local/yourvoices/159319665.html

As I'm sure most of you aware, Bob and Madelyn did NOT write for the TV version of "The Steve Allen Show" with Louis Nye and Tom Poston. They wrote some radio shows for him very early on in their career: mid 40s. I had always heard that as staff writers they were assigned to Steve Allen and did not know they had a previous connection. When the Burbank Lucy convention was a tribute to Bob and Madelyn, Steve came and spoke.

This writer makes reference to an article that discusses Desi and the 3-camera filming technique. Did you see that article?

Archived