The "Bored" And Talented Webmaster..Cont'd

PuttyNose

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Why is it that Lucy winning the Emmy one year is in color but the following year when she wins again, it's in black and white, did the EMMY show air on a network that wasn't yet broadcasting in color?

Good question... Wish we had a good answer. The Emmy Awards were broadcast in 1968 IN COLOR on NBC, but for some reason all that remains in the Academy archives is a black-and-white kinescope of the show. The show would have been recorded on two-inch video tape (the standard at the time), and it's possible that a tape still exists in a dusty archive at NBC... but it's more probable that such a tape self-destructed over the years (or was otherwise lost), and all that remains is the B&W...

Good question... Wish we had a good answer. The Emmy Awards were broadcast in 1968 IN COLOR on NBC, but for some reason all that remains in the Academy archives is a black-and-white kinescope of the show. The show would have been recorded on two-inch video tape (the standard at the time), and it's possible that a tape still exists in a dusty archive at NBC... but it's more probable that such a tape self-destructed over the years (or was otherwise lost), and all that remains is the B&W...

Ok then, do you know the color of Lucy's feathered STRAVAGANZA that night? When she went up to be greeted by presenter Frank Sinatra? I noticed that she was more casual in her attire the previous year when she did not expect to win but really went all out, hair anf gown, the following year when maybe she thought she could repeat, every other actress seemed to get it two years in a row back then, LOL!

OMG, could the Emmy people be that LOW on themselves that they would actually LOSE a color broadcast of their most important show?

OMG, could the Emmy people be that LOW on themselves that they would actually LOSE a color broadcast of their most important show?

I do not think the Academies (movie or TV) maintined their own archives until about 20 years or so ago, when someone decided they needed to pull all of these things together for posterity's sake... At that point, it was a matter of finding the best of what had survived (even then)...

Ok then, do you know the color of Lucy's feathered STRAVAGANZA that night? When she went up to be greeted by presenter Frank Sinatra? I noticed that she was more casual in her attire the previous year when she did not expect to win but really went all out, hair anf gown, the following year when maybe she thought she could repeat, every other actress seemed to get it two years in a row back then, LOL!

Yeah, I posted a color version on my web site this morning...

http://www.lucyfan.com/stillweek120924.html

It's blue!

Yeah, I posted a color version on my web site this morning...

http://www.lucyfan.com/stillweek120924.html

It's blue!

OMG, what a great story. Now could we have YOUR version of the Lucy was told Desi jr had just died right before she was to go on at another Emmy ceremony? The pic is just beautiful by the way, Lucy looked positibely REGAL that night.

Archived