Effect of Color on the Appeal of "Lucy"

I totally agree! I think adding SUPERB prestine color, even with the cost, would CERTAINLY be worth it. The way the

"Lucy Goes to Scotland" episode was handled was nearly perfect.

The most wonderful thing was someone walking in the room with it showing and saying "Hey, this is Lucy's color shows huh?..oh no wait, this is I Love Lucy in color!!"

The quality was top notch! I never had the feeling of seeing a colorized episode, it was so vibrant and so exact that I relaxed and enjoyed the show and never thought about the color, besides the fact that watching it felt genuine and real.

Sure it's taking a classic and altering it, but having the original black and white prints, why not have a little fun with a best of set with a colorization thats OUT OF THIS WORLD.

You show Lucy on The Lucy Show and in color on the bottom of your post and that shows exactly what we're talking about, look how great The Lucy show looks in it's second season and in COLOR as opposed to the first season which looks so blah in black and white. The same could be done for ILL and the LDCH too.

Yeah they only showed that part of the show sadly. It's been 10 years and I still kick myself for not taking my video camera.... I assumed it wouldnt be allowed.

That was taking with my old film camera, it looked soooo much better that that

Yeah they only showed that part of the show sadly. It's been 10 years and I still kick myself for not taking my video camera.... I assumed it wouldnt be allowed.

That was taking with my old film camera, it looked soooo much better that that

This looks exciting, is it actual color footage from the show? I thought that dress Lucy was wearing was blue, along with the blouse-

I think when people talk about colorizing, they think of getting a cheap, poor in quality, and oddly tinted-but the possibilities are endless now what with colorization only getting better and better every year.

I think it's a brilliant way of handling a classic...Imagine- your looking at your shows in HDTV wide screen on your flat screen,

all the colors are popping and the image is perfectly clear- then comes an ILL rerun. Quality so botched it looks as thought Lucy and Desi actually filmed in New York on kinescope.

We're looking at a show on TV that's viewed as if it were still the 50's!! Some shows on TV broadcasts of ILL are way worse than the Perfect DVD quality that's out there.

But, to have it colorized with it's already prestine and sharp image, with the vibrant colors, you might get an entirely different kind of feel to ILL.

The color effect has developed and changed for the better since The colorized episode of The Christmas show-the contrast between that show and the newly colorized Lucy Goes to Scotland is eye popping lol

You show Lucy on The Lucy Show and in color on the bottom of your post and that shows exactly what we're talking about, look how great The Lucy show looks in it's second season and in COLOR as opposed to the first season which looks so blah in black and white. The same could be done for ILL and the LDCH too.

EXACTLY- EXACTLY!

This looks exciting, is it actual color footage from the show?

Sadly no it was colourised. But its how they kicked off the evening of Lucy films and when it came on everyone thought it was a lost colour film LOL

It was a cruel trick but an awesome experience

CBS lost its master (and only) copy of that colorized episode. The only copy that is known to exist is a low-quality VHS tape that belongs to the man who colorized it. Sadly, because of its poor quality, that source was unable to be used for any official release of the episode.

Personally I prefer the original B&W but would get the colour version too if I could.

I also think it would be more sellable internationally as TV channels seem to prefer sticking to B&W especially in the UK. For instance the B&W Bewitcheds werent shown in the UK until the recent colourised episodes became available and yes I got both versions on DVD even though I had to have the B&W DVDs imported as they were only available in the UK colourised on DVD

Actually it has been reported that the b/w DVD seasons of BEWITCHED and I DREAM OF JEANNIE are not the original b/w prints. They have taken the colorised prints and simply turned off the color. In the case of BEWITCHED, the opening theme music for the original s1+s2 has a slight variation to the 1966 color seasons (tempo etc) and the DVDs carry the onscreen 1966 copyright on the opening credits which prove that they are not using the original 1964/5 prints. Here in the UK we got to see about 25 episodes from s1 of Bewitched around 1982/1983 and these were the original 35mm prints which carried the 1964 copyright and the slightly different arrangement of the theme music.

Actually it has been reported that the b/w DVD seasons of BEWITCHED and I DREAM OF JEANNIE are not the original b/w prints. They have taken the colorised prints and simply turned off the color. In the case of BEWITCHED, the opening theme music for the original s1+s2 has a slight variation to the 1966 color seasons (tempo etc) and the DVDs carry the onscreen 1966 copyright on the opening credits which prove that they are not using the original 1964/5 prints. Here in the UK we got to see about 25 episodes from s1 of Bewitched around 1982/1983 and these were the original 35mm prints which carried the 1964 copyright and the slightly different arrangement of the theme music.

Yeah, that's Sony at work for you! lucydisgust.JPG

Ah! Now Im much to young to remember that, apparently Here's Lucy was shown on Channel 4 aaround the same time... what happened to those day LOL But havent speant over 20 years wanting to see and get the B&W episodes I was just happy to get them however they came

Ah! Now Im much to young to remember that, apparently Here's Lucy was shown on Channel 4 aaround the same time... what happened to those day LOL But havent speant over 20 years wanting to see and get the B&W episodes I was just happy to get them however they came

I agree, since they were so seldom shown and are IMHO, the best of both series! (and I loved the original first season theme song of "Jeannie" much better, too! --much sexier, jazzier....woohoo!) :D

Archived