They Love Lucy: Celebrity Lucy Fans

Brock

Tiffany Haddish is on a Bill Frawley binge.

Tiffany Haddish in”Self Made: Inspired by the Life of Madam C.J. Walker.”

When she isn’t horticulture, she’s possibly bingeing. In enhancement to “Self Made,” which she’s watched completely 3 times “to make certain someone viewed it,” Haddish’s current checklist consists of “Tiger King,” “Wild Wild Country,” “Locke & Key,” “I Love Lucy” and “My Three Sons.” Her preferred “Lucy” episodes are the delicious chocolate manufacturing facility and the one where Lucy claims to be a ballerina.

“I also watched this movie that Lucille Ball made before ‘I Love Lucy,’ and she actually can sing,” Haddish said loudly, mentioning Lucy Ricardo’s notorious tone-deafness. “It’s so funny because people have been tweeting about the song I sing in ‘Self Made,’ and I’m like, ‘They made me sing that song five times just to make it worse each time.’ So I feel like Lucille Ball right now.”

https://theunionjournal.com/tiffany-haddish-on-self-made-girls-trip-2-and-loving-the-quarantine-lifestyle/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had no idea about the friendship between Lucy and Patti LuPone's mother.

Then, Patti revealed her interesting Hollywood connection. “My mother (Angela Louise, nee Patti) was best friends with Lucille Ball. They grew up together in Jamestown, New York. So we got a different idea of what show business was because of Lucille.”

The diva, known for her humor and laughter, quipped, “The other thing about casting couches is, I was never invited onto a casting couch; I was asked to leave the room (laughs). So I never had to worry about it.”

Of course, we got intrigued with her family’s ties to the original queen of comedy. Patti obliged and began, “When I was a kid, Lucille would call the house. She would be in California and we would be in Long Island. Every time she was in New York, she would call my mother and my Aunt Tina, who would both jump in the car and go visit her in New York City.

“I used to answer the phone. Lucille would say, ‘Hello. Hi, Patti, is your mom there?’ ‘Yes, who is calling?’ ‘It’s Lucy.’ Of course, I would drop the phone screaming and my mom would come in.

“Lucy saw me onstage doing ‘Evita’ at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion (in LA). She came backstage. I still have the platter and the cup that she gave me. She said she couldn’t believe that her daughter (Lucie Arnaz) and Pat’s daughter (Patti in ‘Evita’) would be on Broadway at the time because Lucie was doing ‘They’re Playing Our Song.’

“The last time I saw Lucy was when I was doing ‘Anything Goes.’ Someone came backstage and said, ‘We are not supposed to tell you, but Lucille Ball is in the audience.’ I got on the phone with my mother and I said, ‘Mom, get in here because this is probably the last time you are going to see Lucy.’ And it was. I have pictures in my scrapbook of Lucy and my mother when they were in their teens. It’s pretty amazing stuff.”

https://entertainment.inquirer.net/373429/patti-lupone-on-hollywood-costar-darren-criss-family-friend-lucille-ball

I always love reading what Broadway shows Lucy saw.

• Like 1

The fact that this connection wasn't known before is pretty wild. It's interesting that Patti assumed that Lucy was nearing the end of her life. Had Patti become famous earlier/had Lucy lived longer and done more TV, I wouldn't be surprised if Patti would've done a guest appearance- maybe taking a page from the OG Reno Sweeney (Merman) and creating "Lucy Teaches Patti LuPone How to Sing Intelligibly". I can just picture Lucy breaking into sobs for some reason or another and Gale sarcastically saying "Well, don't cry for me Argentina!".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

The fact that this connection wasn't known before is pretty wild. It's interesting that Patti assumed that Lucy was nearing the end of her life. Had Patti become famous earlier/had Lucy lived longer and done more TV, I wouldn't be surprised if Patti would've done a guest appearance- maybe taking a page from the OG Reno Sweeney (Merman) and creating "Lucy Teaches Patti LuPone How to Sing Intelligibly". I can just picture Lucy breaking into sobs for some reason or another and Gale sarcastically saying "Well, don't cry for me Argentina!".

We actually did a "Lucy Teaches Patti LuPone to Sing" episode outline on another thread, I think the "2015 Here's Lucy" one. The thought of them doing the Dr. Gitterman exercise is too good to ignore. "I'd tell you to chew your tongue and hum, but it sounds like you do that already!"

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Freddie2 said:

Today I learned that Chloe Malle, editor of Vogue and daughter of Candice Bergen and Louis Malle, has been a Lucy fan since childhood. Here’s hoping she passes that love onto her new son!

I remember Candice saying that after Avery was born on Murphy Brown, critics and viewers thought the show was concentrating too much on the new baby and the show didn’t know what to do to fix that. Chloe said, “They hardly ever showed Little Ricky on I Love Lucy,” so this gave them the idea to ignore baby Avery as much as possible. 

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
9 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

From a 1954 interview with Johnnie Ray:

“I can recite to you the dialog of Best Foot Forward. (He did). I stopped counting after I saw that picture 21 times. When I met Lucille Ball and told her all the lines she had in that picture, she flipped!“

Oh how cute. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 6:45 PM, Mot Morenzi said:

Ken Levine’s latest podcast is devoted to the making of I Love Lucy:

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2021/11/ep250-for-those-who-love-lucy.html

I haven’t listened to this yet, so I’m not sure how accurate he is.

Now having heard it, I can say it’s an overall good episode. He clearly did his homework and provides a lot of solid information, especially for newcomers. No major factual errors that I can pinpoint, though there were a few tiny details that were a little off. The best bits for me were his personal stories relating to the show, such as witnessing Bill Frawley drunk in public, seeing Vivian Vance the night she filmed her Rhoda episode, and viewing the exact location where the Hollywood backdrop was photographed for the Beverly Palms scenes. I also cracked up at his Gale Gordon impression.

• Like 1